(2e) Changeling Entitlements vs gentry Titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2e) Changeling Entitlements vs gentry Titles

Does anyone know what the actual difference will be between an Entitlement and and Title beyond one being used by changelings and the other by Gentry? I didn't spend much time with 1e so I never read up on what entitlements were like then so I'm hoping some of these questions can already be answered, but Entitlements seem to resemble titles to the point where the gentry cannot see a difference between one holder of the title and another.

Will a keeper be able to identify an Entitlement holder as their former changeling?

Would a Changeling be able to acquire an Entitlement by taking a title from a true fey the same way they take Titles from each other? (This is the question that made me want to ask as it gave me flashbacks to the end of Niel Gaiman's Sandman).

Entitlements have changed dramatically from 1e to 2e, AT LEAST AS FAR AS WE CAN TELL. Technically we have yet to receive 2e Entitlements in a release. We did a preview, but that didn't really go into the kind of detail required to answer all of your questions.

A) 1e Entitlements were not as...unique as 2e. In fact they also functioned as organizations in many cases. For example, there were several Scarecrow Ministers and there were occasions where they would coordinate across freeholds. 2e has stepped away from that, suggesting that most Entitlements can only be held by indivduals, the exceptions being a subcategory. Likewise 2e gives the Entitled responsibilities. Those are the two biggest changes off the top of my head.

B) Sometimes/Maybe. If the Entitled is not living up to the responsibilities of the Entitlement, I'd say the Gentry is more likely to notice because it makes for a better story. Plus the Gentry is likely to be upset with them anyway. That said, it is currently unclear whether or not the Entitement actually stops the Ggentry from seeing you, so much as making the position of the Entitlement your dominant feature in their eyes. IE; they might recognise that you used to be their dancer/hunting dog/whatever but that matters less than the fact that you are the Baron of X.

C) as I have said before, I very much hope that is the case, but it is unclear. Certainly when I brought it up, people asked what would allow the Lost to remove a Title from one of the Gentry. That said, Titles the are formed into Entitkements feel like they should be targeted by the Gentry every so often. The Fair Folk will try to take it back at some point, after all.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Like the previous answers above, some of this is a bit speculation. But there are hints.

Originally posted by Darkfoxdev View Post
      Does anyone know what the actual difference will be between an Entitlement and and Title beyond one being used by changelings and the other by Gentry?
      To be honest, fae Entitlements and Fae Titles seem to basically be the same thing but on 2 different creatures. Personally to me, it seems like they're both drawing on the same kind of power from the Wyrd. So, magically speaking, I'd consider Entitlements a kind of "proto-title". (still though, I don't really know, that's just how I interpret it)

Originally posted by Darkfoxdev View Post
      Will a keeper be able to identify an Entitlement holder as their former changeling?

Would a Changeling be able to acquire an Entitlement by taking a title from a true fey the same way they take Titles from each other? (This is the question that made me want to ask as it gave me flashbacks to the end of Niel Gaiman's Sandman).
      These two have related answers, I would rule yes at my table. We don't know for sure but stealing a Title seems totally the kind of criteria for building an Entitlement. And if that is the case, as long as the Fae (was a changeling) still holds onto the Entitlement, wouldn't it transcribe over in some way, shape, or form?

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

what will happen to the original entitlements? I really like tha Legacy of the Black Apple

Comment

Probably reflavour them to be small groups that share the same title or a legion entitlement.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

ahh ok, thanks! (I assume legion entitlement just means able to take larger amounts of applicants)

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
              ahh ok, thanks! (I assume legion entitlement just means able to take larger amounts of applicants)
              It’s in the Entitlement preview. I’m think it means that there is more than one title within the Entitlement, but don’t quote me on that

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

As noted above, the actual documents for Entitlements haven't been released. However, from what I've seen, I can surmise this:

Entitlements and Gentry Titles are similar but not the same thing. Changelings have no compulsion to do their duties that their Entitlements demand, whereas Titles require the Gentry to act as the Title demands. The Queen Of Hearts requires to behead others for her Goblin retinue to stay loyal, but she can choose not to do so; a Gentry with the same sort of duty would do so and have no ability to say no.

Entitlements can be willingly given over, or at least passed down, and Changelings can even petition the Wyrd for one with duties and abilities the Changeling can choose (or at least negotiate). Gentry evidently do not have this pleasure with Titles, otherwise they wouldn't need to pick them off from other Gentry as they do, and a Gentry would not give one up if they ever could help it.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  It’s in the Entitlement preview. I’m think it means that there is more than one title within the Entitlement, but don’t quote me on that
                  Yep. Normally, an Entitlement is just one title belonging to one person that gets passed on from bearer to bearer; legion Entitlements are more like the Knights of the Round Table, where each individual title belongs to one person and can be passed on just like a normal Entitlement, but it has enough titles for a small group to take them on.

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                  As noted above, the actual documents for Entitlements haven't been released. However, from what I've seen, I can surmise this:
                  Entitlements and Gentry Titles are similar but not the same thing. Changelings have no compulsion to do their duties that their Entitlements demand, whereas Titles require the Gentry to act as the Title demands. The Queen Of Hearts requires to behead others for her Goblin retinue to stay loyal, but she can choose not to do so; a Gentry with the same sort of duty would do so and have no ability to say no.
                  Entitlements can be willingly given over, or at least passed down, and Changelings can even petition the Wyrd for one with duties and abilities the Changeling can choose (or at least negotiate). Gentry evidently do not have this pleasure with Titles, otherwise they wouldn't need to pick them off from other Gentry as they do, and a Gentry would not give one up if they ever could help it.
                  Right. The exact relationship between Entitlements and Gentry Titles is nebulous on purpose; changelings aren't sure, and it scares them that they're not sure. There are definitely similarities, and also definitely differences, and that's by design.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
                  Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

Working...
                  X