Romancing a Hob Goblin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romancing a Hob Goblin

Is it possible for a changeling to fall in love with a Hob Goblin and/or vice-versa? If so, how would you, as an ST, handle such a relationship? I know there's a character in Night Horrors: Grim Fears (the Tikbalang), buuuuut--what are some important things to consider?

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
    WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
    and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Absolutely! Anything can happen in the Hedge.

However, they're fundamentally creatures of different worlds. Goblins aren't human, even if they once were, and they rely on the Hedge to survive. They're much more bound by their role in the overarching story, have close ties to the Wyrd, and tend to operate on inhuman patterns of contracts and pledges. To adapt an analogy I've used before, it would be a bit like romancing an enormously complex artificial intelligence. It's possible, but they're very, very alien to you, and you to them, because they're fundamentally not human.

Comment

What Changeling in their right mind would even so much as humor the idea of romancing a creature from the Hedge?

I'm pretty sure stuff like that is exactly what lead to them being captured in the first place.

Comment

Damn misclick on my phone!

Basically I can see a Changeling under the right circumstances hooking up with a Hedge Creature. It may be a toxic one way relationship, or just an unhealthy diversion from their problems, or it could be solace for a desperate loner. Some Changeling are really oogly and lonely. Some have horrible social skills and combine that with desperation some Hedge Creature that accepts them and doesn’t care that they are paranoid and dress like a hobo and eat bugs and human flesh. It could work, don’t underestimate desperation.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          What Changeling in their right mind would even so much as humor the idea of romancing a creature from the Hedge?

I'm pretty sure stuff like that is exactly what lead to them being captured in the first place.
          A lot of Changelings are not in their right mind.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Also, nice hedge creatures exist. Like that one who's just trying to find the party who owns his old Hollow with a chain of deals, most of them mutually beneficial. Sure, he probably doesn't think like a human, but I could see people becoming friendly with him, sympathizing with him or even becoming attracted to him. Plus, I saw nothing in the corebook saying that romancing a Hob is a clarity attack, as long as you still spend time Ironside and have human friends.

EDIT: Marrying a Hob could even be a way to cheekily justify purchasing Hob Kin

EDIT 2: Tl:dr, if it looks humanoid and at least seems to think human, you can at least fall in lust with it. And if a Changeling can romance a Huntsman (if the legend in the core is true), why not a Hobgoblin?
            Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

EDIT 2: Tl:dr, if it looks humanoid and at least seems to think human, you can at least fall in lust with it. And if a Changeling can romance a Huntsman (if the legend in the core is true), why not a Hobgoblin?

Who says it has to look humanoid? There's some pretty weird fetishes out there, you know?

Comment

Who says it has to look humanoid? There's some pretty weird fetishes out there, you know?

Also true. Slipped my mind

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                    And if a Changeling can romance a Huntsman (if the legend in the core is true), why not a Hobgoblin?
                    I'm also skeptical about the validity of that legend. The last thing I heard regarding Huntsmen is that they're the Fae equivalent to Meeseeks.

"We Meeseeks are not born into this world fumbling for meaning, Jerry. We are created, to serve a singular purpose, for which we will go to any lengths to fulfill! Existence is PAIN, to a Meeseeks, Jerry! And we will do anything to alleviate that pain!"

Comment

I'm also skeptical about the validity of that legend. The last thing I heard regarding Huntsmen is that they're the Fae equivalent to Meeseeks.

"We Meeseeks are not born into this world fumbling for meaning, Jerry. We are created, to serve a singular purpose, for which we will go to any lengths to fulfill! Existence is PAIN, to a Meeseeks, Jerry! And we will do anything to alleviate that pain!"
                      That has been updated. Now they are the natives of chaotic Old Arcadia, enslaved by the pacts of the Gentry. Normally, all they want to do is hunt through their magical forests, but when the Gentry want to hunt down a Changeling, they go to the forests and pull one of the Huntsmen aside. Then the Gentry rips out the Huntsman's metaphorical heart, hides it away from them within a certain Mortal's Dream Bastion and replaces it with one of their own Titles. This suppresses their desire for their natural Aspirations and replaces it with the Keeper's own Aspiration to recapture a specific Changeling. The Huntsman's natural Aspirations are entirely suppressed while Ironside. But when they are in the Hedge, you can try to reach their true desires and convince them to let you help them find their Heart, sealing the deal with a Pledge.

Of course, not all the Huntsmen are nice naturally either. The one detailed in the Jumpstart's natural Aspiration? "Behead his target"

Comment

Suddenly, I'm tempted to play a what-if scenario where a hob goblins becomes human through the Wyrd power of love. Like how True Fae can turn mortal if they're exiled from Arcadia.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                        WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                        and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

So the Huntsman just wants to hunt in a magical forest? So they could get along with a Hunter cell? Wait doesn't that mean mortal Hunters who sincerely love the Vigil quite possibly could go here as a kind of Afterlife/Hunter's Heaven if they died maintaining the Vigil and that befriended Huntsman took that individual to Old Arcadia? I also recall Arcadia being a paradise for heros in Greek Mythology. Looks like the writers are drawing upon that piece of lore as a possible explanation for later. Welcome to Hunter's Heaven... A Place where the Hunt will never end.

Comment

Dancers in the Dusk have Lady Ambrosia, and that shows how bad of a idea romancing a Goblin can be.. but that’s first Ed.

Then again, that is a good framework to use.

Like what was said before, in all likelihood the relationship would be this toxic one sided affair... but it would be interesting. Like a train wreck in slow motion; beautiful in its horrible splendor!

Comment

I can also imagine, going back to the Hunter, a sick, one-sided love ... The Hunter who "loves" his ptey...

Comment

Working...
                              X