No announcement yet.

Romancing a Hob Goblin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why people would think hobs are only like... devious or unhealthy things to be around, unable to be in a loving relationship. Some are sweet and loving, some are twisted, some are both. They're just weirdos.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
      Absolutely! Anything can happen in the Hedge.

However, they're fundamentally creatures of different worlds. Goblins aren't human, even if they once were, and they rely on the Hedge to survive. They're much more bound by their role in the overarching story, have close ties to the Wyrd, and tend to operate on inhuman patterns of contracts and pledges. To adapt an analogy I've used before, it would be a bit like romancing an enormously complex artificial intelligence. It's possible, but they're very, very alien to you, and you to them, because they're fundamentally not human.
      I wouldn't extend that to former human Hobgoblins like Goblin Queens that can become human again.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
        I wouldn't extend that to former human Hobgoblins like Goblin Queens that can become human again.
        I still would, honestly. Becoming a Goblin Queen fundamentally alters you, it's why it's so hard to go back. Becoming a human again is the focus of some grand and exciting story, not something that happens often.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
          I still would, honestly. Becoming a Goblin Queen fundamentally alters you, it's why it's so hard to go back. Becoming a human again is the focus of some grand and exciting story, not something that happens often.
          It's not that hard, just kidnap a child to take your place. And you still have you still have your intergity state. I think that the "soulless" thing is more for Hobgoblins that have never been human.

Comment

This idea fascinates me, so I need to go back and reread the stuff about hobgoblins so I can form a more complete opinion later.

For now, I'll bring up Data, from Star Trek: The Next Generation as an example of a non-human, non-emotional being who (in at least one episode) explores the idea of a romantic relationship. What's interesting about it is how he's not motivated by love, affection or even attraction- he doesn't feel any of those things. But he still is capable of seeing value in a romance, and (in his own way) of trying to be the best partner he can be. So, just because something isn't human, and doesn't think like us, doesn't mean it can't find value in something like a romantic partnership.

Second, if the relationship doesn't make sense from a Changeling perspective...it also doesn't have to make sense from a hobgoblin perspective, either. No matter what, it's not normal, so it's not hard to see the hobgoblin in question having strange quirks or an unusual (for them) attitude that leads them to entertain this concept. Maybe they're fascinated by how mortals aren't bound by contracts and deals, and can do whatever they want. Maybe they like the way the person walks, or talks, and to a hobgoblin that's as central to a person's identity as their actual emotions. Or something. Like I said, I need to refresh my understanding.

Comment

Working...
            X