Describing 2nd Ed Seeming + Kith Combinations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describing 2nd Ed Seeming + Kith Combinations

We know that Seemings in 2nd Edition Changeling are broad transformations while the Kiths appear to be specific tasks that Changelings can receive during their Durance. However, while some combinations of the Seemings and Kiths are fairly easy to visualize... others aren't as easy to think of examples for a Player (or Storyteller) to visualize for a particular character or NPC.

Many of the Players I have that enjoyed 1st Edition's easier visualization of these combinations (since the Kiths were refinements of the Seemings), 2nd Edition has presented a bit more of a problem with this... as there are fewer Kiths described in the book and the possible combinations beyond the obvious is sometimes difficult to put into words that can evoke specific images beyond the few example combinations that the book provides.

So I thought I would come here to see how others visualize the combinations of the provided Kiths with the Seemings.

For example, I could envision a Beast Nightsinger as perhaps being used as a Songbird to entertain its Keeper while an Elemental version might be akin to the classical Siren who could lure others into her Keeper's watery realm. A Darkling Hunterheart could be a sort of Stalker... the kind you see in movies who's victims either try to flee or are frozen in fear and should they manage to run, he still somehow manages to appear out of the shadows just as they think they've gotten away. As the Ogre Snowskin evokes images of Ice Trolls and Frost Giants, an Ogre Bright One could be akin to Fire Giants and similar creatures.

I am curious as to how others combine the Kiths and Seemings and what sort of myths that such combinations evoke.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

One of the things I had to get over was not associating certain physical features of the mein with a specific Seeming. There are Darklings with fox faces, Non hulking-elflike ogres and gigantic Wizened. Not all Beasts are animals. Once I had freed myself from the stereotypes associated with the Seemings, it was so much easier to come up with cool concepts with the Seeming/Kith combos present in the core. With the right defining contracts, you can make anything. Some off the top of my head:

Elemental / Gristlegrinder - A towering frightening river hag with long strands of green river weeds as hair. Been trying to live life as a vegan. (a la Jenny Greenteeth)

Fairest / Bright One - Even though she rarely wears her animal form, the broken iridescent, nacreous horn that spirals from her brow gives her away as a unicorn. Or at least, she used to be. (unicorn thang)

Darkling / Mirrorskin - She is a manic pixie dream girl in the truest sense of the word. She can disappear in a twinkling of an eye and clothes herself in illusions. There really isn't much to her and she questions how much of her is actually solid. (The illusionist fairy. Like Tinkerbell. When she uses her Darkling gift, it manifests as "dropping all her glamours" and becoming an ephemeral pixie for the duration of its use)

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstripe View Post
      We know that Seemings in 2nd Edition Changeling are broad transformations while the Kiths appear to be specific tasks that Changelings can receive during their Durance. However, while some combinations of the Seemings and Kiths are fairly easy to visualize... others aren't as easy to think of examples for a Player (or Storyteller) to visualize for a particular character or NPC.

I think, perhaps, it's best to decouple idea of Seemings with the the Keeper/Arcadia (nearly) entirely. For the purposes of the above, think only of Kiths as the way the Character was changed in/or by Faerie/the Fae. This is simplify the process nearly the whole way.

As a further explanation, a Character's Seeming isn't exactly broad category of how a character has changed, but more like a broad "Story Archetype" that the character has come to fit whether through the actions of a character's Keeper, how the character chose to escape, or how the character copes iron-side. So while Kith is necessarily what a Keeper did to a character, a Seeming doesn't need to be.

That said, Seemings do have an affect on the character's appearance (because the Wyrd be like that) but instead of worrying how that meshes with a specific Kith, think about it the exact same way you would think about your character getting a Mantle of one of the Courts, or gaining a new Contract (Contracts now have an affect on the Mein), or anything else that may effect the Mein.

To put words to practice with the examples above and a few of my own:

Nightsinger: Made into a tall, pale, porcelain Statue that the Keeper animates on the fifth night of every week to sing for it and it only.
      - Darkling:
      The How: What seemed like years of being hidden under a cloth while hearing the goings on in the Faerie Court, the character has come to understand and retreat back to that feeling of solitude, even if it cuts them off from others both emotionally and sometimes physically.
      The Mein: The character is back out of their Keeper's clutches, but to look upon the character is to see the subtle shift of a thin cloth that you can just almost see, that if one could just find and pull on the material, might reveal a more true face.

- Beast:
      The How: Years went by before the character could even see a hint of another person other than their Keeper. And when that small glimpse from an unknown draft, the character remembered what it was like to have time and choices. It took a bit of Patience to leave and sneak away but the character would be damned if they are to be kept hidden and reserved any longer. They'll have what they want because this is their life.
      The Mein: Eyes like a hawk or some other predator, a porcelain jawline that could cut glass and if you ask them, they'll proudly say it has. Basically every porcelain joint is crafted angularly and poised in a way that makes you think that they're only one second away at hopping at someone for saying the wrong thing.

- The Elemental:
      The How: Years went by. The character only had approximately 3.14 minutes between when their songs put the Keeper to sleep and their own statue nature froze them in place.3.14 minutes, every 5 nights for years. But some progress is any progress, you may have lost a bit of your mind on the way there but you left and there was nothing that the keeper could do about it. Right?
      The Mein: The skin ripples like what a water fountain statue would look like as thin streams of water steam down its features.

- The Wizened:
      The How: All you knew was the song. For so many years the notes were not only what staved off the Keeper but also kept you strong and kept you going. You don't quite remember how you got out but you'd like to think that you got so good at your craft that the Keeper stayed asleep longer than he'd bargained for when he remade you.
      The Mein: A tall porcelain statue, paint chips fallen off with wear.

- The Fairest:
      The How: You've been back for a little over a month now but you know you just can't sit idle in the role you took in the Freehold. You were forced to be idle as an idol for years but be damned if that's gonna be your fate again. If no one else volunteers to do this then you will and other's will just have to follow.
      The Mein: The porcelain skin always seems like it was newly painted. The eyes as well are painted but behind the white paint can be seen a piercing orange glow.

- The Ogre:
      The How: You felt bad, the Hobgoblin was only doing its job as it dusted the mansion over and it wasn't its fault that it came by at the precise 3.14 minutes that you had freedom and the Keeper was asleep. It had the key and the only way to escape was to ensure that Hobgoblin didn't. It wasn't your hand that did it but it was your voice that ensured the Keeper's wrath. You needed the distraction but what you did still haunts you.
      The Mein: A porcelain statue. Each footfall as heavy as you'd suspect a statue to be. Deep footprints left in the earth at the character's passing and each movement of a joint producing new statue dust.

To be honest, the more characters I make the more I notice that the Seeming is usually some weird combination of all three origins (Keeper, Escape, iron-side Coping).

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Elemental / Mirrorskin - an amorphous glob of molten silver, encasing a humanoid skeleton within its core.

Darkling / Gristlegrinder - A Big Bad Wolf, eagerly searching for naive fools to devour.

Ogre / Playmate - A punk rocker "bad boy" archetype, clad in dark leather, and looking like he stepped off the cover of a death metal album.

Wizened / Leechfinger - A psychotic doctor, who's fingers have been replaced with empty syringes.

Fairest / Chimera - A proud manticore, who's powerful voice always rises above that of the crowd's.

Comment

I’m kind of curious as to which combinations are proving difficult to visualize.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
          Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
          Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
            I’m kind of curious as to which combinations are proving difficult to visualize.

Ogre + Notary

Beast + Artist

Elemental + Leechfinger

Wizened + Snowskin

Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
              Beast + Artist

Elemental + Leechfinger
              A goose who plucks her own feathers when she needs a quill to create the most beautiful calligraphy.

A living clot who drains the blood out of nearby wounds.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Ogre + Notary
                The burly, orcish man’s olive green skin is covered in dark scars from where his Keeper carved the runes of an agreement into his flesh, forcing the ogre to literally protect the document with his very life.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Ogre + Notary: A personification of harsh, brutal, Lawful Neutral justice, an enormous automaton created as a sort of judge and executioner—who's now learned all the ins and outs of the contracts binding her, giving her freedom to act through careful loophole abuse.

Beast + Artist: He was a beaver back in Arcadia, and his hands are always quick and busy, his teeth maybe a bit too wide. But he seems to do miracles with wood, needing only minutes to create anything from an intricately-carved sculpture to a perfectly-engineered truss that keeps the Freehold's Hollow from collapsing.

Elemental + Leechfinger: An icy shell with a heart of fire inside, playing on the chaos-order, fire-ice, life-death motif. Anyone she touches feels cold, numb, and exhausted, while the fire in her heart flares a little brighter and burns a little hotter. She doesn't like to do it, but she knows if the fire dies, it'll be the end of her—she'll be nothing more than a perfect ice sculpture with no life left.

Wizened + Snowskin: They're frail, almost insubstantial, tending to fade into the background. Nobody ever sees the enormous Hollow filled with their creations, clockwork plants and animals stitched together with Glamour. That's the only place they can let their heart thaw a little.

Comment

I'm still having difficulties with this

does anyone have ideas for

Darkling Notary

Wizened Chatelaine

Wizened Playmate

?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dmnsqrl View Post
                      I'm still having difficulties with this

does anyone have ideas for

Darkling Notary

Wizened Chatelaine

Wizened Playmate

?

Thanks
                      darkling notary: a gaunt, impossibly thin being with what are seemingly tattoos of rules and law on its person. upon scrutiny, one can notice these tattoos twist and change, even briefly showing exploits and loopholes in the rules.

Wizened Chatelaine: a dapper and swift servant. he served as a butler who could set the table with not only efficiency, but style and grace. what made him favored was his ability to always know how to flavor cuisine to a guest through subtle examination and intuition. he was never given credit for it.

wizened playmate: she was always good with kids. She is even better now as a living toy. normally lethargic, but pull the spring on her back, she comes to life, ready to construct anything, especially if it brings you joy.

hope those are good, sorry if they are weak. I'm not too good at this stuff

Comment

Funnily enough, I did a little exercise at one point on this exact topic. I wish I could find the full writeup I did - I know Beasts were by far the easiest, and elementals were the most fun IMO.

Wizened Nightsinger: She looks almost human, but for the strange iridescent color of her eyes and her breath, and the way looking at her sounds. Born deaf, she was taken into a world where sound was art and she could see the notes that she song. Now she still sings, but cannot hear the cheers or the words spoken to her anymore. She can see her voice and sing her vision real, and when she does they tell her how beautiful her music is. Still, she finds herself missing the land where the notes were carried on strands of color.

Beast Mirrorskin: Her body is covered in silver fur - vulpine features that seem almost more like a mask than a face and anywhere between nine tails to one, depending on how grandious she is feeling. Sometimes, when she tires of being a fox she chooses to become something else - her form as mercurial as her mind.

Elemental Nightsinger: The elemental was literally composed of notes. When you touched her, you could -hear- the way she felt, a song that she'd been born from, the whispers on the wind, the root of her emotions. Some people say when you sing, you put a little of yourself in the music you create - for her, its literal - and you can feel her giving herself to you with every note she plays. That's why you love her when she sings - because she can't help but give herself to you.

Elemental Notary: When the Keeper made a rule, he told his subjects it. Rules were made to be broken though, and that was part of the land that the elemental gave. So when the Keeper made a rule that he didn't want broken, that's when Lode was brought in - you see, there is something more permanent about a promise that is etched in stone. Now, scars litter Lode's body - each one is a promise, an oath, and each one if broken breaks a piece of him.

Beast Artist: She was an amazing designer - her friends used to call her a modern day Arachne, a joke that cuts a little too close these days. She was taken to help build the keeper's web, and escaped when a piece of it broke off. Nowadays she no longer loves sewing as much as she did, but she cannot help it that the silk threads its way out of her fingertips and always seems to form into something beautiful.

Comment

I also have a lot of trouble with this. Since Seemings are now "the path you took out of Arcadia" and Kiths remain "your tasks in fairyland", it feels like the former is now a modifier of the later now.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                            I also have a lot of trouble with this. Since Seemings are now "the path you took out of Arcadia" and Kiths remain "your tasks in fairyland", it feels like the former is now a modifier of the later now.
                            The latter part of what you said is still true, but the former part disappeared when Olivia Hill left the project. Now Seeming is more like your widely defined fairy tale role, that can defined by what you were made to do in Arcadia, what you did to yourself to escape, what sort of emotional baggage you carry or some combination of those.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                            X