Hedgespinning Equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedgespinning Equipment

I was wondering. From what I've heard, you can get hedgespun equipment through just making it, rather than just buying it as a merit. The question is, the mechanics of this are a bit hard to figure out for me. I know the book says you can spend successes equal to the availability to get a weapon, but it doesn't really say how that works for, say, making a chainsaw or assault rifle with a +3 improved damage bonus. Or making armor.

Also, could the Changeling just do anything to make it. Like start singing as an extended action in their hollow until they've gotten enough successes to make their weapon, either made out of their music, or opulence, or whatever.

In First Edition, Hedgespun tokens were the only way of reliably making a token besides engaging in the predecessor of 2e's Hedge-forged "marinating" practice — there was a whole separate system introduced in Rites of Spring.

In Second Edition, it is important not to confuse Hedgespun Items — a type of token — with items made through Hedgespinning — objects produced by using the Hedgespinning system to create armor, weapons, or one of the five types of equipment as discussed in the chart on page 204. Almost none of the latter will survive being taken out of the Hedge, whereas the former are outright magical items, albeit to fairly mundane ends.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Have you looked at the rules for creating a token? The rules for creating a token is different from just creating equipment. Also, having a token but not spending xp on it means it is not covered by sanctity of merits.

Page 223 starts the various ways of token creation. Forged in thorns and by this I swear sections describe how a player could go about creating a token.

Comment

So then I take it a sword made of opulence or a dress made of starlight was 'transmuted' by the process then?

Comment

Originally posted by Tzauri View Post
          So then I take it a sword made of opulence or a dress made of starlight was 'transmuted' by the process then?
          If you want to deal in raw abstractions as a thing you can physically handle, you generally get lasting instances of that through obfuscated vectors like stolen tokens or found/purchased Hedge-forged stuff or maybe oath-forging something you managed to get out of somebody's dreams, if you haven't got a Goblin Contract specifically for interacting with those types of intangibles.

Hedgespinning is just a way of doing thematic legerdemain with your character's activities — the outcome you produce still has to relate back to the action you used to accomplish it, whether that's bridging a canyon by making diplomatic overtures between feuding communities or literalizing your barbed words into a bramble patch. 1e's process of making Hedgespun was basically a more on-camera version of how 2e produces tokens that don't have a cost modifier, because it required you to essentially follow a recipe in a way that made it so any given Hedgespun token had a story behind it.

The point is, Hedgespinning isn't going to substitute for any form of the Hedgespun Item token, because the former just produces regular equipment that happens to be of magical provenance. The latter may have come about through spending time in fae lands, but that process specifically happens when the character isn't looking.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
          X