X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragons in CTL (And the Greater WOD)

Dragons.

They're awesome.

That's literally all I have to say, but actually I've been kinda wondering about how to properly implement them into WOD. I guess at the moment, you can have them as True Fae resting their laurels in Arcadia, or simply as Beasts. But I kind of want to take it a step further and consider what it would be like if they were a more formal part of the WOD mythos. Of course, there's the fan-game Dragon: The Embers, but my crazy ass idea is that if they were their own splat in WOD, they would play kinda like a cross between CTL and BTP (somewhat like how geists, mechanically, are a cross between the ghost and spirit rules). So, maybe they would have Wyrd as their primary power rating, but had hungers to maintain. And maybe you could have them as like mummies in terms of them being the lords over their own cults, with ways for them to hoard treasure; in fact, my idea for a one shot would be a corporate horror game in London where an office fire traps the PCs, and it's due in part to a rampaging dragon.

But what do you guys think?

For what it's worth, I know 1e Changeling had the Draconic kith, though I doubt that's quite what you're thinking, and that kind of avarice could easily play into a more morally questionable Spring courtier. Could easily work the hungers into frailties, and maybe a token that makes it easier to acquire treasure at the drawback of making one more obsessed about it.

However, Wyrd always means a Fae origin, keep in mind. It should be noted Beasts also can have cults as well. The big question is, what would the theme be?

Last, one fan-splat thing I would recommend you consider looking at you might find interesting is Leviathan: The Tempest, though its more playing Cthulhu than Smaug. It's well put together, though still 1e, though 2e is well underway.

Comment

I have in the past done up dragons with DtD rules for cryptids but I could see them being easily done up with just hobgoblin rules. Large creatures that fly and breathe fire are a rather easy thing to draw up. Doing something up that players could play on the other hand is far more difficult.

Comment

When I worked on dragons for the Embers 2e project I really liked the idea of them using elements to fuel their powers. I'm a fan of the colored-dragons sort of system and I loved the idea of a dragon having to eat fire, lightning, or toxins to fuel their breath and ect.

That idea got rejected though, but that's basically the framework for how I'd build them. I'm also a fan of the old 1e mage mythos as well as Beasts, so my version would probably have ties into those things along with references to the fae. I'd imagine them as creatures born from the primordial elements of the universe. Very high concept and very powerful...but they fell into turmoil because of madness, jealousy, and greed. This would result in them being forced to temper their power against their desires (a morality stat of sorts similar to beast). A dragon fully consumed by greed would be very much like the lazy dragon who sits atop a mountain of gold.
        Last edited by NovaP; 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

A dragon based fan splat sounds mighty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaP View Post
            When I worked on dragons for the Embers 2e project I really liked the idea of them using elements to fuel their powers. I'm a fan of the colored-dragons sort of system and I loved the idea of a dragon having to eat fire, lightning, or toxins to fuel their breath and ect.

That idea got rejected though, but that's basically the framework for how I'd build them. I'm also a fan of the old 1e mage mythos as well as Beasts, so my version would probably have ties into those things along with references to the fae. I'd imagine them as creatures born from the primordial elements of the universe. Very high concept and very powerful...but they fell into turmoil because of madness, jealousy, and greed. This would result in them being forced to temper their power against their desires (a morality stat of sorts similar to beast). A dragon fully consumed by greed would be very much like the lazy dragon who sits atop a mountain of gold.

I read the first edition of the game, I didn't know there was a 2nd edition. I will be sure to look it up, as I was a big fan of the first game!

Comment

Originally posted by Tzauri View Post
              For what it's worth, I know 1e Changeling had the Draconic kith, though I doubt that's quite what you're thinking, and that kind of avarice could easily play into a more morally questionable Spring courtier. Could easily work the hungers into frailties, and maybe a token that makes it easier to acquire treasure at the drawback of making one more obsessed about it.

However, Wyrd always means a Fae origin, keep in mind. It should be noted Beasts also can have cults as well. The big question is, what would the theme be?

Last, one fan-splat thing I would recommend you consider looking at you might find interesting is Leviathan: The Tempest, though its more playing Cthulhu than Smaug. It's well put together, though still 1e, though 2e is well underway.

Well, to me, dragons really are a big enough thing that they should be given more prominence than being just a smaller aspect of a splat-and so, again, kudos to the guys who made Dragon: The Embers. But like, I just bought the Pete's Dragon remake on Blu-ray, and I think the dragon in that movie represents a good example of what I am thinking of in terms of splat (at least if I was making a 'good' character). The creature clearly has fae origins, but has the physicality and presence that scream 'beast' to me.

And sweet, I've heard of LTV, I'll try to look it up!

Comment

It could be pretty cool to have Dragons have their own cults, I like that. Cults for everyone.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                  It could be pretty cool to have Dragons have their own cults, I like that. Cults for everyone.

Lol, I just figured dragons were more prone to kidnapping princesses than having cults. *rolls eyes

Comment

Pretty sure one of the changeling books had a true fae that was a full blown dragon, so draconic fae are real. The main issue with changlings is that, to my knowledge at least, all changelings are bipeds (So maybe wyverns?).Of course if they got their own gameline they wouldn't have stuff like Wyrd and likely be their own part of the cosmology.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguinbowler View Post
                      Pretty sure one of the changeling books had a true fae that was a full blown dragon, so draconic fae are real. The main issue with changlings is that, to my knowledge at least, all changelings are bipeds (So maybe wyverns?).Of course if they got their own gameline they wouldn't have stuff like Wyrd and likely be their own part of the cosmology.
                      As I recall, all changelings are bipeds outside of their Keeper’s land. Within it, they could be anything, but the act of leaving it pushes them into a roughly humanoid form. Thus, Mr. Volcano will transform into Fiery Rock Dude if his Keeper invites him to come with to visit another True Fae.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                      Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                      Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

As I recall, all changelings are bipeds outside of their Keeper’s land. Within it, they could be anything, but the act of leaving it pushes them into a roughly humanoid form. Thus, Mr. Volcano will transform into Fiery Rock Dude if his Keeper invites him to come with to visit another True Fae.
                        I mean, that's what happens when you reclaim some semblance of yourself, enough to leave.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I believe that you can become an approximation of a mythical creature with Chrysalis, but you don't gain any explicitly magical abilities with the transformation. So you could become a dragon and even fly and eat princesses, but you would be a size 10 one at most (with the Ogre seeming benefit) and you would need to use other Contracts for your breath weapon

EDIT: Size 10 is at least around the size of a cargo truck so that's pretty respectable anyway

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                          X