X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Thenomain View Post
    The rule is "one clarity condition for any amount of Mild damage" implies to me, pretty strongly, that even if you have 3 mild damage you have 1 condition from it.
    My reading is, quite unambiguously, "If a Clarity attack marks damage in one of your last three boxes, you take a Clarity Condition dependent upon the type of damage and the circumstances; if this reduces you to zero unmarked boxes, that Condition is Comatose."

Healing Clarity damage doesn't undo Clarity Conditions intrinsically and many of them are not mutually exclusive, so there's not much call to assume that having one Clarity Condition of a given severity prevents you from getting others.

Leave a comment:

• Thenomain
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    You can have as many Clarity Conditions as you allow to accumulate, I think.
    The rule is "one clarity condition for any amount of Mild damage" implies to me, pretty strongly, that even if you have 3 mild damage you have 1 condition from it. (edit: I admit that I'm assuming that's one condition gained for any number of instances. The book isn't clear about that, either.)

The same is said for Severe damage and Persistent conditions. That's two.

Maybe.

I think that we are both uncertain as to how to apply this implies to me that the rules themselves aren't clear to us. And again, I don't mind "wing it" as long as the winging of the "it" is done with internal consistency. I'm just having problems finding the *intent* of these rules once we get past the layer of "mental damage messes up Changelings, yo".
    Last edited by Thenomain; 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM. Reason: I admit that I'm assuming that's one condition gained for any number of instances. The book isn't clear about that, either.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Thenomain View Post
    (edit: Further inference: You can have at most 3 conditions from Clarity damage: One normal, one persistent, and Comatose.
    You can have as many Clarity Conditions as you allow to accumulate, I think.

Remember, the dicepool for Clarity damage in most cases is just Wyrd plus any bonus dice from Conditions, and most Conditions only add a single die each.

Leave a comment:

• Thenomain
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Comatose's Condition writeup only declares 'Reaching Clarity 0' as a Possible Source'
    This reminds me of something. Some quick note-taking...

Comatose (p. 344): Possible Sources: Reaching Clarity 0
    Clarity Damage (p.107, 2nd paragraph): Comatose happens when damage is taken after the Clarity track is full of damage.
    Clarity Conditions (p. 107): One Condition for any amount of mild damage in the last three boxes, one Persistent for any amount of severe damage in same.
    (Note to self: So it's not one per box. Good to know. Interpretation: Max 2 conditions for clarity damage: One normal and one persistent. Uncertainty: If you are full up on mild clarity damage do you gain one persistent if severe damage enters this range? Interpretation: Yes.)

(edit: Further inference: You can have at most 3 conditions from Clarity damage: One normal, one persistent, and Comatose. A lot of things have to be assumed to make this work, but I think it's fair. The Clarity track is short and even risking three conditions seems pretty severe. I don't know what the writer's intentions were, but this seems like the most balanced reading of the rules as written.)

Conclusion: There are a lot of little rules in this system. I've been pouring over it for well over an hour trying to figure out how it's supposed to work, because I've been reading that Clarity is the lynchpin that makes CtLv2 the game that I want it to be.

Clarity and Perception and Touchstones, oh my!

I know Rule Zero ("wing it") is a good solution but the more I look into it the more I just want to use it as a sanity track and let whatever house-rules fall where they may.
    Last edited by Thenomain; 07-06-2019, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    On the one hand, severe damage being what it is means it wouldn't be hard to justify a case like this resulting in two Persistent Clarity Conditions.

On the other hand, the combined context of "Comatose is on the list of Clarity Conditions," "Comatose's Condition writeup only declares 'Reaching Clarity 0' as a Possible Source," "Comatose is effectively a bigger version of some of the other Persistent Clarity Conditions in the first place," "Your Clarity for the purposes of mechanics that reference the rating is determined by the number of unmarked boxes you have," and "the perception modifiers for Clarity only describe a range bottoming out at 1-2" suggest that the intended reading is "You become Comatose once your Clarity track fills with damage of any kind."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X