Murkblur Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murkblur Contract

Please help me make sure I understand the rules clearly here.

Regarding the use of Murkblur (Jewels Contract), if successful, causes the Blindness tilt in both eyes, Exceptional Success adds the Deaf tilt as well. But if I'm reading this right, these tilts last one turn, since the contract has a duration of 1 Turn.

CtL2e - Pg. 126
    Tilts end when the Contract that inflicted them does, if the target doesn’t end them sooner.
    Compared to other contracts, this seems a bit lackluster. Three seconds seems an awfully short time for the expenditure of Glamour it requires, and it only seems to be really effective in a defensive application - not even a really good one either. Am I missing something here?

Originally posted by Phoenixfallen View Post
    Three seconds seems an awfully short time for the expenditure of Glamour it requires, and it only seems to be really effective in a defensive application - not even a really good one either. Am I missing something here?
    Blinded in both eyes imposes a -5 penalty on all actions that rely on vision (i.e. most of the things blinding them could conceivably interfere with) and completely removes the target's Defense. This is the basic effect of a Common Contract that costs 1 Glamour to use without its Loophole and there is absolutely nothing that requires you to use it on someone who is solely engaged in physical conflict with you.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Blinded in both eyes imposes a -5 penalty on all actions that rely on vision (i.e. most of the things blinding them could conceivably interfere with) and completely removes the target's Defense. This is the basic effect of a Common Contract that costs 1 Glamour to use without its Loophole and there is absolutely nothing that requires you to use it on someone who is solely engaged in physical conflict with you.
      To add to this, it certainly has other uses than the "defensive application". I have had it used on the driver of the opposing vehicle in a car chase. I ruled that sudden blindness was enough to call for a "succeed or crash" test, and with a -5 in the pouring rain that predictably caused the driver to swerve and crash (3 seconds is a hell of a long time to lose total control over a vehicle at high speeds).

Could use it to interfere with sports events and such I guess. Three seconds of blindness at exactly the right time would let you fix most any MMA fight (though only once, the first time a "I suddenly saw a fairy land!" claim of the fighter will be attributed to too many knocks to the head, but if it keeps happening?) and the like, or play it even safer and use it at the horse races. Good luck having the horse explain that it freaked out and lost the lead because it got suddenly blinded. :P

There's still 4 Seeming benefits left to be added to the Contract, some of those could give longer-lasting benefits to the Contract. But I wouldn't increase the standard duration, 1 round of blindness in combat is already GG against most attackers, 2 rounds would end most anyone.

Comment

Fair enough. I guess I need to see this put in action a bit more before I rule it out. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...
        X