The Tumult Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tumult Contract

I was checking out this Contract recently, and I have a few questions about it:

1) Do you need to know the true name of the target before you can use this Contract? (Seems too limiting?) Or does the Contract effectively reveal the true name as you write it out? (Seems like too convenient a way to learn a true name, they're a big deal right? Admittedly I'm not entirely sure what a "true name" is supposed to be in a Changeling game, it is never really defined, so just going off of what I know of the general concept of a true name in myths/fantasy.)
    2) It looks like you can essentially inflict 6 Conditions on someone if you get an Exceptional Success? Is that correct?
    3) With 3 successes, if you have the Fairest Seeming benefit, you can inflict Swooning, Obsessed and Wanton on the target. Does that make this essentially the best seduction Contract that exists? It seems like a pretty heady mix!

Overall, ignoring the question of how the true name thing works for a moment, this contract seems extremely strong! Being resisted rather than contested, it's not too hard to drown someone in 3+ Conditions whenever you use it. Might be stealing the thunder of some other Contracts a bit, considering you have several that have as effect "inflict this one Condition on the target that can also be inflicted with Tumult", but Tumult puts a lot more of them down and lets you know what other Conditions affect the target as well. :O

Honestly I don't know how the True Name thing works.

I think Dream magic is the strongest seduction magic in the game or maybe Bedlam.
    Last edited by Omegaphallic; 08-08-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Given how strong a Contract it is I’d definitely say that you do in fact need to already know the target’s true name for it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
        Given how strong a Contract it is I’d definitely say that you do in fact need to already know the target’s true name for it to work.
        Yeah, as an Ogre you can also give people -4 to all physical actions and -2 defense if you get 3 hits. Pretty wicked for such a versatile Contract! ^^

I guess I can see how frequent use of Oneiromancy over time help an ongoing seduction focus pretty well, but talking more about the "snap fingers, become adored for a time" use, this Contract is certainly up there. ^^

Comment

How do you find someones true name? What counts as a true name for most people in CoD?

Comment

I would personally say "the name that they internally refer to themselves as", whatever that may be. (And any variant that they've internalized would also work: "Dave" and "David" would work the same, as long as he does indeed think of himself as Dave.)

Comment

Why does this forum require the least intuitive possible code for embedding videos? -_-
              Last edited by Sith_Happens; 08-10-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unahim View Post

Yeah, as an Ogre you can also give people -4 to all physical actions and -2 defense if you get 3 hits. Pretty wicked for such a versatile Contract! ^^

I guess I can see how frequent use of Oneiromancy over time help an ongoing seduction focus pretty well, but talking more about the "snap fingers, become adored for a time" use, this Contract is certainly up there. ^^
                Oneiromancy can go well beyond simple seduction, you can over time completely rewrite a persons personality, to make them into the perfect lover. But of course that would be beyond evil, so major clarity hit, because it's the sort of thing a True Fae would do.
                Last edited by Omegaphallic; 08-15-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

CtL 2e really should have come with True Names rules. For humans at least I'd just use the name given at birth.

Comment

You could have it be the same as their sympathetic name which is whatever most people called them when they were a kid, but IMO it’s not really fitting to Changeling for forty year old Jameson’s “true” name to be Jimmy.

Comment

Working...
                    X