Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Dreamweaving and Hedgespinning Rule Interpretation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Dreamweaving and Hedgespinning Rule Interpretation.

Hey all,

I apologies if this a stupid question or something I am overthinking, but I wante dto know how other game groups are interpreting the rules for Hedgespinning and Dreamweaving. The rules for the two are explicitly similar, but I wanted to know if people make this distinction.

For Hedgespinning, my understanding is that extra successes on any mundane roll (plus a bit of Glam) can be used to accomplish a subtle shift. There does not have to be any connection between the roll and the shift. The book even uses the example of a player making an attack roll, and using extra successes to accomplish an unrelated shift in the Hedge.

But my interpretation of Dreamweaving was slightly different (and I apologize if I am way off on this). Based on the wording and the example given, it was my interpretation that the mundane roll had to be part of convincing the Dream World of the shift "She might pose as an archaeologist looking for funding for a new dig... Then she must convince the dream that she's succeeded at being whatever she says she is, by persuading the eidolons to grant funding..." (pg 218). To me, this says that a player can't just do an unrelated task because they have a high dice pool, in the hopes of accomplishing an unrelated shift, but that they have to make an effort to somehow integrate themselves into the dream to enact a shift, ie making a Manipulation + Expression/Persuasion roll to convince the eidolons at the children's party that she is a cop, and thereby creating a shift that changes her into a cop's uniform.

Am I way way off on this? Did anyone have the same question?

Originally posted by bennosuke View Post
    There does not have to be any connection between the roll and the shift. The book even uses the example of a player making an attack roll, and using extra successes to accomplish an unrelated shift in the Hedge.
    The example you're talking about doesn't specify what details are being changed and the section on subtle shifts opens up with a paragraph describing an example in explicit terms of metaphorical suitability between the action and the shift.

The shift and the action don't necessarily have to be logically pursuant from each other, as demonstrated by the "make a hammer by smashing a couple of rocks together" example, but they do have to be connected in at least some thematic fashion.

To me, this says that a player can't just do an unrelated task because they have a high dice pool, in the hopes of accomplishing an unrelated shift, but that they have to make an effort to somehow integrate themselves into the dream to enact a shift, ie making a Manipulation + Expression/Persuasion roll to convince the eidolons at the children's party that she is a cop, and thereby creating a shift that changes her into a cop's uniform.
    This is the same as it works in Hedgespinning, as noted above, with the distinction that you don't declare whether an action is generating shaping successes and the attached penalty applies to all your mundane rolls.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
    X