Goblin Vows vs Goblin Contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goblin Vows vs Goblin Contracts

Looking at some of the older threads I see a lot about Goblin Vows in 2nd ed, while discussing the early version in the Kickstarter, but I don't see them in the book. Was the terminology changed? Goblin Contracts don't seem much like what I read people discussing.

Goblin Vows were a concept in the Hill Changeling writeups. From what I can remember, it was essentially where a Changeling would make a promise to a particular substance that they would do a service for a set time, and in exchange they get a temporary amount of power from that substance. The promised service, power needed and duration of the service added up to a value for the power granted.

As of the writing of this comment, Goblin Vows are not part of 2e proper and are very different from Goblin Contracts. The threads on the forums are a remnant of the discussions from the Hill previews.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      Goblin Vows were a concept in the Hill Changeling writeups. From what I can remember, it was essentially where a Changeling would make a promise to a particular substance that they would do a service for a set time, and in exchange they get a temporary amount of power from that substance. The promised service, power needed and duration of the service added up to a value for the power granted.
      They were also more or less directly ported from the 1e concept of the same name in Rites of Spring, right down to using the mechanical structure of pledgecraft from that edition instead of the system 2e uses now.

Goblin Contracts as they exist now (as opposed to how they worked in 1e) fill some of the same niche alongside hobgoblin deals, except that the bill comes due later on and there's not as much distinction between "payment for services rendered" and "consequence of payment deferred" — you can beg off the ST cashing in points of Goblin Debt, but doing so gives you another point of Goblin Debt until you hit Hedge Denizen status.

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
      X