On the nature of iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post

This is, of course, still assuming that mortal physics apply to the situation at all, and that's not guaranteed when we're talking about mythic beings whose entire schtick is that they are only bound to the bits of reality they are contractually obligated to acknowledge.
    I'd reason your argument depends on *where* is being discussed. In Faerie, I'd say you have a very valid point, but nothing suggests that such arguments apply to the mortal world. There, whatever its metaphysical qualities, the cold iron is still iron, and subject to all the natural forces that would affect it. Magnetism isn't magic, rather it's a force based on physical laws of the universe. Since, as has been pointed out, Dzarumazh has extensive ties to the mortal world and a vastly better understanding of the setting than most of his kind, there is little reason to think that such a solution wouldn't be open to him. My own feelings are that he could remove the troublesome fragment at any time of his choosing, and is abundantly aware of how to do it, but the solution that has been suggested, doesn't make for a good story, so he's holding off on implementing it, going for something more dramatic, as is the way of the Gentry. That said, if push really does come to shove, to the point the situation truly does become dire, odds are he'll implement a version of it, presuming his own vanity, or some oath doesn't prevent it.

The Gentry are notoriously good at finding loopholes. Cold Iron is their bane, but a clever one, like my character, Tristan, can find ways of exploiting its limits. While Cold Iron instantly destroys most constructs of Faerie, like Hedgespun, its nature prevents it from being enchanted, and it's pitifully weak compared to modern materials. Tristan, like Dzarumazh, spends a lot of time in the mortal world, interacting with humans and other beings there, and has come to realize that sometimes, Ironside problems, require Ironside solutions. The mundane armor was recommended to him by a loyal Changeling servant, his Chatelaine, Sara, who constantly fretted and worried about him spending so much time in a place where the sort of enemies he made were bound to eventually apply that solution to him sooner or later. Precisely because he does have a background of spending a lot of time on Earth, interacting with the denizens there, he actually has come to recognize that they occasionally*DO* have good ideas from time to time, so actually took the advice, though implemented it in his own fashion. Bear in mind, this character is considered extremely eccentric by even Fae standards, and there are some Peers would dearly love to have an excuse for exiling him for having gone too native, but as of yet, nobody has been able to conclusively prove such a thing. Being that The Honeysuckle Prince is a 5 Title Gentry, making that accusation without being able to back it up is a good way to end up exiled oneself. Of course, Tristan is well aware of his reputation among the Peerage, relishes, and very carefully cultivates it, enjoying an artful bit of scandal from time to time. His activities and adventures Ironside are more than sufficient to keep him from having to worry about any notion of Fading.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Owen View Post
      Given some of the extremely powerful magnets, with up to 3,600lb pull force you can just buy, he probably just needs to order a couple of the things That much force should be more than sufficient to pull out a bit of iron, which I don't anticipate he'll need extra help with that. Just position it over the wound area, holding the thing in one claw, waiting for the iron to work its way to the source.

https://brutemagnetics.com/collectio...r-threadlocker
      Now I'm just imagining a Changeling who was taken because he saved a gentry member who had a fragment of cold iron stuck in them. Their keeper was doing it as a 'reward', but they had questionable concepts of what humans see as a reward.

Comment

Unless my memory is failing me some huntsman are immune to iron. In that case couldn't they form the contract with iron and screw their oppressors?

Comment

Originally posted by Excess View Post
          Unless my memory is failing me some huntsman are immune to iron.
          All of them are. It's a Dread Power every one of them has.

In that case couldn't they form the contract with iron and screw their oppressors?
          Huntsmen cannot learn Contracts and therefore presumably cannot make them; their whole deal is that they pre-date the magical structure the Fae seized Arcadia with.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Perhaps Satchel. But I still think there is potential here, it is just a question on how to tap it as far as I am concerned. Maybe if the Changelings could figure out why the huntsmen are immune then they could reverse engineer something out of it.

Comment

Perhaps Satchel. But I still think there is potential here, it is just a question on how to tap it as far as I am concerned. Maybe if the Changelings could figure out why the huntsmen are immune then they could reverse engineer something out of it.
              My theory is that Huntsman are linked to animals ego (simple ordered psychology, desire to hunt, lack of complex social organization) and the True fae to human ego (need of laws, desire to own, a complex political society).
              True fae advent and conquest of arcadia could be linked to the historical period when human started to subjugate the nature, with fire and IRON.
              True fae are based on different rules, as someone posted some time ago i like to think that they are the nobles, and iron are a tool of workers, hence they weakness to it.
              For animals iron is a metal, like any other metals, then huntsmen are not especially weakened from it.
              To think that a huntsman could forge a contract with iron to rebel against true fae is similar to imagining a mule that learns to use a rifle to rebel against a farmer.
              They can crudely make use of it as a tool, like a dog with a replaced wooden leg, but i think that contracts are too much "high technology" to them.

Comment

What a weird theory.

Comment

What a weird theory.
                  Weird as wyrd.
                  Admittedly it s highly extrapolated by the dark eras 2 explaination of the nature of the hedge, as the barrier that divides the mind from the oneiros.
                  As the oneiros is the door to the human collective consciousness, i visualize the hedge as a metaphor for the ego, the barriers and laws that we use to define our identity, our desire to own and control people and things.
                  The true fae embody perfectly the Hobbes theory of The Social Contract.

Comment

Working...
                  X