Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone updated Directional Courts to 2e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone updated Directional Courts to 2e?

Just wondering if anyone has managed to update the Directional Courts from Dark Eras/Winter Masques to 2e, and maybe filled out their Contracts so each Court has their own set, like the Seasonal Courts? I'd really like to include them in a couple projects I'm working on, but I'm not familiar enough with Changeling to be comfortable in my abilities to convert them and make up a bunch of new contracts for them.

There's actually a sidebar in the upcoming Oak, Ash, and Thorn where we update the Directional Court mechanics from Dark Eras to 2e/modern day. Unfortunately since it's just a sidebar, I didn't have room for additional Contracts, but hopefully the conversion will still be of use!

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
    Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post
      There's actually a sidebar in the upcoming Oak, Ash, and Thorn where we update the Directional Court mechanics from Dark Eras to 2e/modern day. Unfortunately since it's just a sidebar, I didn't have room for additional Contracts, but hopefully the conversion will still be of use!

Upcoming as in within the next couple months, or is it still a few years off?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
        Upcoming as in within the next couple months, or is it still a few years off?
        Onyx Path doesn't do estimated release dates, but the book is manuscript-complete and approved, and in editing right now. You can check out the Monday Meeting Notes blog each week to track project progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post
          Onyx Path doesn't do estimated release dates, but the book is manuscript-complete and approved, and in editing right now. You can check out the Monday Meeting Notes blog each week to track project progress.

In editing, ah, so still a ways off then. Ah well, I greatly look forward to it. Shame it won't have more contracts, but more Courts and Mantles are always welcome.
          Last edited by Shadowdragon; 09-10-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Any chance of telling us what other Courts will be included in Oak, Ash, and Thorn? Maybe also the Rose Courts from Dark Eras? Will the book include any new Contracts for non-Seasonal Courts at all, or are Seasonals the only Courts that'll have Contracts for the foreseeable future? Having all these different Courts is great, but not having Contracts to go with them is severely hampering their usefulness. I would honestly buy a book that has nothing but 2e Court Contracts for all the Courts from the core book and Dark Ages.
            Last edited by Shadowdragon; 09-14-2019, 02:32 AM.

Comment

So, to set expectations: there are no full courts in Oak, Ash, and Thorn. It’s a very short book that came entirely out of Kickstarter goals, and courts—especially with full mechanics and Contracts—take up way too much space. We just did not have room. There’s a chapter on courts and Mantles, and it’s got a lot of fun stuff in it, but we had very little wordcount to work with and could not use it on what would amount to basically reprinting material. (This is the same reason the additional courts in the core don’t have Contracts. A set of Contracts takes up a gigantic number of words and we had too many things to fit into that book.)

Now that said, there *are* a few Mantle-based Contracts in OA&T; but they’re not for full courts, they’re for alternate non-court organizations that can still make Bargains and have Mantles. The sidebar on the Directionals is there because one of the sample freehold seeds uses them.

Would I love to someday make a whole book of nothing but new courts and Contracts? Sure I would. But whether that would ever happen is up to White Wolf. In the meantime, the Storyteller’s Vault is an excellent resource for groups who don’t want to homebrew Contracts themselves!

Comment

Sadly, it looks like Changeling 2e is too new on Storyteller's Vault as there's only a single community-made book there. If anyone does decide to make a book of Courts and Contracts I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Heck, once i get more familiar with it and how Mantles and Contracts work maybe I'll put something up. I guess the Seasonal Courts will have to do until then.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the Changeling Companion.
                  Last edited by Omegaphallic; 09-14-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I took a stab at Mantles for the Directional courts back around the kickstarter launch, this is what I came up with: Mantles
                    North:
                    1: [mantle] bonus on rolls to resist the effects of deprivation and injury
                    2: [mantle] bonus on breaking point rolls brought about by the loss of mortal possessions/attachments
                    3: Gain armor equal to current penalties from fatigue/injury, up to [mantle]
                    4: Spend one glamour to ignore a tilt for [mantle] turns
                    5: Spend one glamour; up to five other people suffer any tilts and penalties from wounds and deprivation that currently afflict the changeling.
                    East:
                    1: [mantle] bonus on rolls to persuade someone to buy or sell something.
                    2: [mantle] bonus on rolls to appraise the value of a good or service
                    3: gain [mantle] dots in social merits such as contacts, allies, or retainers to represent business connections
                    4: Once per story you can make an additional purchase at or one dot above your current resources without the usual drawback
                    5: Once per session add the changelings dots in resources as bonus dice on a social roll
                    South:
                    Changeling chooses a signature specialty as their particular artistic passion
                    1: [Mantle] bonus on rolls to encourage someone to pursue a special interest
                    2: Replace the normal specialty bonus with [mantle] for the signature specialty
                    3: Gain the Interdisciplinary Specialty merit for your chosen specialty
                    4: Spend a willpower to gain rote instead of the usual bonus when rolling with your signature specialty
                    5: Once per session replenish all willpower when rolling exceptional success with signature specialty
                    West:
                    1: [mantle] bonus to see through dishonorable tactics, including ambushes
                    2: [mantle] bonus to defense when protecting another member of the freehold
                    3: [mantle] Armor piercing on attacks when serving as a bodyguard or champion
                    4: Defense does not decrease until [mantle] opponents have attacked
                    5: Use higher of Wits or Dex to determine defense

I also made Bargains for each court:
                    North: Fae] cannot regain glamour while in North's territory
                    East: Fae must pay a blood price for any Changeling they kill or capture in East's territory; tokens with a dot rating equal to the Mantle+Wyrd of the Changeling
                    South: Fae must act on their first impulse while in South's territory. They cannot delay an action for more favorable circumstances, they must act immediately.
                    West: Fae cannot refuse a duel in West's territory

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                      Sadly, it looks like Changeling 2e is too new on Storyteller's Vault as there's only a single community-made book there.
                      Well...

1. No, there isn't only one title. I know there's the Venice Unmasked book that's made by the Darker Days Radio podcast guys. It's just that for some reason, ST Vault doesn't display older STVaults products if you're just browsing the store.

2. That...line of thinking doesn't make sense considering CtL on STVault launched at the same time that Hunter, Geist, and Beast did. The latter of which has three STVault products displayed.

Think it's just a matter of these type of community products taking time to make, time that for fans who that this isn't a paying gig like for one of the official products.

...or just a reminder that WoD has always had the larger fanbase then CofD despite some of the former's well-catalogued issues. Take your pick.

Comment

Working...
                      X