Looking for help to make Fetch splats for a Chronicle idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help to make Fetch splats for a Chronicle idea

So I'm planning a Chronicle where the PCs are playing Fetches whose lives are disrupted by their originals returning to the world...sort of the reverse of your typical situation. The plan is to let the players start with the Enter The Hedge and Mimic Contract Echoes, since that will give the players access to a lot of the same things a normal Changeling game would have access to.

But I also want to introduce some character splat to allow the PCs some more options. I'm considering allowing some Promethean Bestowments, based on what a particular character is made out of, but would like suggestions for Bestowment ideas that would fit with Fetches, since some of the Promethean Bestowments are pretty specific.

I'm aiming for 4 "splats", based on the categories of ingredients from the 1e Autumn Nightmares book: Man-Made Materials, Natural Materials, Flesh, and Fae-Stuff. If anyone has an idea for a 5th sort of ingredient (to match with the typical CoD method of having 5+ basic splats to choose from), I'm interested in hearing those ideas as well.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Fetches are but bundles of discarded dreams and shadows.

Splats the Four Bundles

The Bundle of Cloth and Clay
    AKA Reflections, Mirrors, Cast offs
    Made from the cast of refuse of the world of men these Fetches can adapt and hide amidst the throng of humanity, adaptability and longing define them.

The Bundle of Sticks and Stones
    AKA Echoes, Effigies, Scarecrows
    Made from the world around mortals but not of mortals these fetches draw upon endurance and eternity of the simplest and first things. Fortitude and aloofness are their hallmarks.

The Bundle of Blood and Bones
    AKA Dopplegangers, Twins, Clones
    Closest to the mortals and their passions these fetches are imbued with their passions and instinct. The blood of man drenches them with vigor and stains them with fury.

The Bundle of Aughts and Ends
    AKA Moonlit Shadow, Silver Dreams, Memories

These fetches are made from that which is not of the world of mortal man and seem to drift as ghosts or remembered as memories seeming to call upon happenstance to guide them. They are matched with fate while forever eerie.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

The Bundle of Naught and Nothing
      AKA the Forgotten, the Unwanted, Them

Those who are emptiest and without purpose sometimes fetches seem to appear manifested by the absence of the stolen man. They are unbound by the whims of the Gentry and were unnamed remanents who found their way into the mortal world through the hole left in the stolen’s wake. Unknown defined by being unseen and forgotten.

Comment

All of these are really cool, and exactly what I'm going for.

But tell me more about this last one:

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        The Bundle of Naught and Nothing
        AKA the Forgotten, the Unwanted, Them

Those who are emptiest and without purpose sometimes fetches seem to appear manifested by the absence of the stolen man. They are unbound by the whims of the Gentry and were unnamed remanents who found their way into the mortal world through the hole left in the stolen’s wake. Unknown defined by being unseen and forgotten.
        Is this suggesting that there are some Fetches who just appear out of nowhere? Why do they appear?

Comment

Oh yeah I made them up for this thread. The idea being sometimes the Gentry don’t make Fetches when they spirit away mortals. But later these mortals return as Changeling and still find fetches. Who made them? Maybe they appeared on their own? Perhaps on the other side of Oblivion when you lose your true name you drown in that endless sea of disparity where swims the Primordial Leviathan, but for some unknown reason some may notice on the other end of the coin that is existence in this Briney Oblivion trails that lead them back. Metaphysically filling the vacuum left by the mortal, and maybe the Wyrd abhors a vaccuum. What were these beings before becoming a fetch? They don’t know. Why did they find themselves in the stolen lives of another? Who knows, perhaps losing their true name and drowning in disparity which lies beyond death itself they were in lives much like the stolen mortals. Maybe their lost names shared similar Supernal syllables. Pherhaps even they not only experienced a resonant but different life, they also experienced it on a resonant but different worlds? Perhaps somewhere out there someone lies about not knowing?

Comment

Oh yeah I made them up for this thread. The idea being sometimes the Gentry don’t make Fetches when they spirit away mortals. But later these mortals return as Changeling and still find fetches. Who made them? Maybe they appeared on their own? Perhaps on the other side of Oblivion when you lose your true name you drown in that endless sea of disparity where swims the Primordial Leviathan, but for some unknown reason some may notice on the other end of the coin that is existence in this Briney Oblivion trails that lead them back. Metaphysically filling the vacuum left by the mortal, and maybe the Wyrd abhors a vaccuum. What were these beings before becoming a fetch? They don’t know. Why did they find themselves in the stolen lives of another? Who knows, perhaps losing their true name and drowning in disparity which lies beyond death itself they were in lives much like the stolen mortals. Maybe their lost names shared similar Supernal syllables. Pherhaps even they not only experienced a resonant but different life, they also experienced it on a resonant but different worlds? Perhaps somewhere out there someone lies about not knowing?

I very much like this idea of ex nihilo Fetches. However, I don't think I can offer it as a PC splat, since this particular game is focused around a group of Fetches made by the same creator banding together for protection against their counterparts. Themes of rage against their creator and the desire to become fully human (both things I'm planning to import from Promethean, to the point of offering Prometheans as an option for characters to pursue) are going to be important, and these ex nihilo fetches don't really fit with it. I'll probably use this idea for NPCs, though.

Comment

Perhaps though the creator of the others took the human that this fetch is the fetch of, and everyone including the fetch assumes that Gentry created it?

I do like the idea of mixing this with Promethean.

Comment

Perhaps though the creator of the others took the human that this fetch is the fetch of, and everyone including the fetch assumes that Gentry created it?

I do like the idea of mixing this with Promethean.

This particular Fae is more interested in crafting fetches than having servants -- he takes people specifically so he can show off his skill at crafting replacements for them, and he sells the people he steals to other Gentry. It's the same reason he'd act as a Demiurge for a Promethean -- he's trying to prove that his creations are "better than real people" to fulfill an oath and satisfy an Aspiration, and he's perfectly willing to murder someone and craft a Promethean out of their remains to make his point (he might not be capable of wielding the Divine Fire more than once, but he's certainly willing to give it a go).

Comment

What less 'material', but not purely fae?

The sunlight that was peering through the window, the readily available cold of the winter day when they were stolen, the electricity that was pulsing through the wires, the chatter from the TV, the very screams the victim emitted when the True Fae unveiled their true form. Not quite energy itself, because the nature of them is part of how its crafted. Electricity from a wall circuit is different from lightning, laughter different from screams. The material type is best described as 'Ephemeral'.

Comment

Here's what I have so far, based on the ideas from this thread.

Ingredient Bundles
                    The Gentry can craft a fetch in mere moments, using whatever is handy, binding a scrap of their target’s shadow and a few drops of their blood with convenient detritus twisted into a human form. Fetches might wind up created out of manmade material (garbage, clothes, objects from a victim’s home); natural material (leaves, sticks, dirt); living or once-living material (the victim’s pets, animals plucked from the surrounding area); or fae-stuff the Fair One has with it (the cloak off their back, candles burned out during the hunt, arrows used to pin a target’s shadow to the ground). Others can also take their time, putting effort into the fetch of their target. A Fetch might wind up being made of an ice sculpture, a porcelain doll, a wicker effigy, or their own clothing stuffed with leaves and topped with the head of a piñata.
                    In the end, it doesn’t make much difference – the Fae’s magic is what animates the Fetch, gives it the semblance of life and allows the fetch to mimic nearly any human behavior. The skill that the Fae employs when crafting the fetch is what makes the difference. The fetch behaves only as human-like as it was crafted to behave. But a Fetch’s construction does have an impact on their personality, as well as the sorts of Echoes they develop. A fetch made of the clothes of the person it’s impersonating might be better able to carry off the charade in superficial ways, but be incapable of real empathy; it is, in effect, an empty suit. A fetch made from fae-stuff might show more of an affinity for faerie magic and the Hedge, while one made from dead animals might become feral and impulsive over time.
                    Over time, various Autumn Courts have attempted to classify Fetches by their construction and behavior, the better to understand the Gentry. The following classifications are the results of such research (not done for the Fetch’s benefit, of course, which is why they have so many unflattering nicknames).

Mannequins
                    Bundles of Cloth and Porcelain
                    AKA Cast-Offs, Poppets, Mummers

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be very careful what we pretend to be.”
                    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

The Gentry are fascinated with human ingenuity and materials, and might opt to fashion their Fetches partially or entirely out of human-made objects that catch their eye for whatever reason. One might take a plastic doll out of the crib of their target’s child and dress it up. Another might tear open their victim’s computer and build a figurine out of wires and motherboards. Yet another might use a kitschy heart-shaped watch, a deck of playing cards, and the cups in the cupboard. And another might hand-carve a life-sized marionette with their target’s likeness out of wood stolen from their couch. Mannequins made this way have a good understanding of the human world, though depending on what they’re made from this might be genuine empathy or shallow manipulation. Either way, mannequins are good at “faking it,” showing reactions that people around them expect to see while keeping their true feelings buried.

Effigies
                    Bundles of Sticks and Stones
                    AKA Mockeries, Piles, Scarecrows

We are the hollow men
                    We are the stuffed men
                    Leaning together
                    Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
                    Our dried voices, when
                    We whisper together
                    Are quiet and meaningless
                    As wind in dry grass
                    Or rats' feet over broken glass
                    In our dry cellar”
                    T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

The stereotypical image most Changelings have of the Fetch is that they’re hastily made piles of whatever objects are within arms reach – twigs, leaves, clods of dirt, pebbles, string, ash, and so on. The Gentry fashion these piles into rough approximations of a human form. One might stuff straw into the person’s clothes and top it with a carved pumpkin for a head. Another might craft a figure out of sticks and river mud. Yet another might use a stapler to hold together a crude figurine of soup cans. And another might dump out a trash can and fashion a figurine out of banana peels, discarded spaghetti, and coffee grounds. Natural components are always at hand, hold memories well, and the effigies produced tend to be obedient and level-headed (at least at first), making for good duplicate of their human “base.” At least, they do if the Gentry is skilled enough to create a good likeness. If the Fae isn’t so skilled, an effigy might be gruff, moody, and hard to read.

Replicants
                    Bundles of Flesh and Bones
                    AKA Zombies, Ferals, Clones

I want more life, fucker.”
                    Roy Batty, Blade Runner

The Others aren’t limited to inorganic materials, or even unliving ones, when crafting a Fetch. Any material that was once part of an animal (or a human) can be incorporated into the Fetch, and some Others revel in the bloody, messy business. One might tear off a pound of flesh from a person dying at the scene of a car crash as the price for saving their life. Another might carry a pocketful of dried bones, fangs, and teeth to use in case the fancy strikes them. Yet another might slaughter the family dog just for the occasion. And another might weave a glamour on a passing raccoon, a reverse of the process that turns Man to Beast. These replicants are imbued with passions and instinct, drenching them with vigor and staining them with fury. Replicants are closest to feeling real, human emotion (instead of faking it like a mannequin), but aren’t any closer to actual empathy, instead making them impulsive and mercurial.

Mirages
                    Bundles of Shade and Mirrors
                    AKA Spooks, Reflections, Daydreams

We are such stuff
                    As dreams are made on, and our little life
                    Is rounded with a sleep.”
                    Prospero, The Tempest

To the Others, metaphor is as good as truth. Some of the Others are skilled enough to pull the ephemeral into the physical to serve as Fetches. One might use the entire shadow instead of just a scrap. Another might weave smoke, wind, and lightning together into a human form. Yet other might reach into a mirror and pull forth the person’s reflection. And one might reach into the person’s own dreams and fashion a Fetch from their memories and subconscious feelings. These mirages tend to be quite a bit more “off” from their base than most Fetches – either they focus on one aspect of their base’s personality, exaggerating it until it completely consumes them, or else they act very different from their base, like a mirror reflection of their previous values and personality.
                    Curios
                    Bundles of Odds and Ends
                    AKA Knickknacks, Trash Pandas, Cuckoos

Six is having problems
                    Adjusting to his clone status
                    Have to put him on a shelf
                    All day long we hear him crying so loud
                    I just wanna be myself
                    I just wanna be myself
                    I just wanna be myself
                    Be myself
                    Be myself”
                    Alice Cooper, Clones (We’re All)
                    There is, of course, nothing stopping The Others from combining disparate elements into a Fetch. It’s not even particularly uncommon. One might weave a Fetch from cobwebs, bathroom tissue, a live slug, and an ERECTOR Set. Another might use the color of dreams as makeup on a broken Barbie doll, and replace its missing limbs with sticks. Yet another might fill their victim’s pet cat with 10,000 volts then dress the corpse up with silverware from their kitchen. And one might pull up a log from a peat bog, carve a likeness into it, and then char it the right color with a Zippo lighter. The Fae aren’t picky when it comes to ingredients, and curios are very much mixed bags, which is probably why most act at least slightly eccentric. Curios tend to develop strange habits and fixations over time, and many seem somewhat disconnected from reality.
                    Doppelgangers
                    Bundles of Aughts and Ends
                    AKA Nemeses, Masks, Quislings

That ain't me, that ain't my face. It wasn't even me when I was trying to be that face. I wasn't even really me then; I was just being the way I looked, the way people wanted.”
                    Chief Bromden, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
                    The Others often bring stuff with them from Arcadia when they hunt, and sometimes, when they desire a more direct eyes in the mortal world, they’ll used these glamour-infused objects in the construction of their Fetches. One might use scraps from their own cloak, burned out candles used to light the way through the Briers, and snapped shafts from arrows used to pin a target’s shadow to the ground. Another might transform a hobgoblin servant into their target’s likeness, tearing out their heart and fixing a piece of the human’s shadow in its place much like they do with a Huntsman. Yet another might enchant a piece of their jewelery, claiming it to be “an equitable exchange” before the Wyrd. And one might simply command a Fetch to appear ex nihilo from the void created by their target’s absence. These doppelgangers are almost always aware of their true roles and origins, and receive explicit commands from The Gentry over and above simply being placeholders. Once the Gentry have departed with their prize, though, the doppelganger is left to its own devices. Many resent being told who they are “supposed” to be, and this resentment can cause them to lash out. Some take out their frustrations on their adopted families, playing the part of Evil Twin. Others make radical breaks with their base’s relatives and loved ones and attempt to divorce themselves from the role they were dropped in in order to find their true selves.

Comment

So with some splats in place, I'm going to work on converting Echoes. It makes sense to me to format these like they've been formatting supernatrual powers in the 2e books, so here's my take on an Echo that didn't make it into the initial 2e book:

Feast of Shadows

The fetch can consume the shadows of living beings in order to heal themselves. They must either touch their target or their target’s shadow to use this power.

Prerequisites: Wyrd 2
                      Cost: 1 Glamour
                      Dice Pool: Dexterity + Wits + Wyrd vs. target’s Resolve + Wyrd
                      Action: Instant
                      Duration: The shadow begins at the same Size as the person who casts it, plus the target’s Supernatural Tolerance (if any). It loses 1 Size each turn whether it’s being eaten or not, and vanishes when it reaches Size 0.

Roll Results
                      Success: The Fetch captures the target’s shadow and tears it away. The victim loses a point of Willpower and gains the Spooked Condition from the shock. The shadow regenerates itself within one scene, or sooner if the victim regains Willpower before the current Scene ends. This power can only steal shadows from living beings with souls. Constructed beings like Prometheans or the Fetch themselves and undead such as Vampires are immune to this power.

Once the Fetch has captured the shadow, they can spend an instant action each turn to consume it as long as it lasts. While consuming it, the Fetch heals damage; the Fetch heals one level of bashing damage per turn spent eating the shadow, one point of lethal damage for every two turns and one point of aggravated damage for every three turns. The Fetch can choose what order to heal this damage in, if applicable.

For example, a Fetch battles their changeling and does poorly, suffering three points of bashing damage and one lethal. Fleeing, the Fetch finds a man waiting at a bus stop and rips his shadow away. The man is Size 5, so the shadow begins at Size 5 as well. It takes the Fetch one turn to get to an alleyway to eat in peace (Size 4). The Fetch spends two turns eating the shadow and heals one level of lethal damage (Size 2). A drunk man stumbles into the alley and vomits into a trash can; the Fetch is startled and stops eating, and the shadow fades a bit more (Size 1). Annoyed, the Fetch finishes the shadow (healing one level of bashing damage), and stalks after the drunk who distracted him to tear his shadow away.

Exceptional Success: The shadow’s effective size is doubled, and the victim gains the Frightened Condition instead.
                      Failure: The Fetch’s hands go straight through the shadow without effect.
                      Dramatic Failure: The Fetch accidentally tears off their own shadow, which disintegrates in their hand. The Fetch loses a point of Willpower and gains the Frightened Condition. The shadow regenerates after a scene, as above.
                      Mirage: The Spook adds 3 to the shadow’s effective size, and the shadow does not begin shrinking for 2 rounds after it is torn off.
                      Doppelganger: The Nemesis deals a point of bashing damage to the target, in addition to the other effects, or lethal if they got an Exceptional Success. If the Nemesis is tearing off the shadow of their Changeling counterpart, this damage is upgraded to lethal and aggravated, respectively.

Comment

Question for the community:

Fetches are created in part by taking a piece of the Changeling donor's shadow to serve as the basis for their personality and memories, which is often thought of as a metaphor for the soul. Am I off base in considering this an Icon? And, if it so, what sorts of in-game effects might it have for the Fetch? Would it be something like a Needle or Thread that they could draw Willpower from? Or would it be more like a Touchstone that they refer back to when facing a breaking point?

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post
                          Question for the community:

Fetches are created in part by taking a piece of the Changeling donor's shadow to serve as the basis for their personality and memories, which is often thought of as a metaphor for the soul. Am I off base in considering this an Icon?
                          Icons are formed from a changeling's escape from Faerie as a consequence of their passing through the Thorns — they come too late in the game to be part of any fetch that wasn't made well after the durance.

Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            Icons are formed from a changeling's escape from Faerie as a consequence of their passing through the Thorns — they come too late in the game to be part of any fetch that wasn't made well after the durance.
                            Is that a change from 1e? Because I remember it being the initial passage into the Thorns that did the damage, and passing back allowed them to reclaim some of the bits they lost.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post

Is that a change from 1e? Because I remember it being the initial passage into the Thorns that did the damage, and passing back allowed them to reclaim some of the bits they lost.
                              Icons weren't a thing in 1e and they're connected to the point at which changelings have Clarity, which didn't happen immediately in 1e either -- 1e fae-touched (with Morality instead of Clarity) were the result of leaving before the full changeling template settled in and as a result any fetch that was left in their place disintegrated when they escaped.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                              X