Cold iron as a weapon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold iron as a weapon

Maybe someone can enlighten me. Helping my player do character creation, and his concept is an ogre club bouncer. He asked me if it would be reasonable for his character to carry an iron - not brass - knuckle as his go-to weapon of choice.

Would wearing a glove or some kind of fabric protect him from the cold iron? Thanks for helping out.

well, iron and cold iron have different effects. Iron punches through glamour-powered Defense boosts and Armor (ex. the armor from Mantle (Summer) 5) and prevents portalling when iron is used to build enclosures or made into bonds. The game also says when determining if something will "pierce" fae magic, if it involves iron, default to assuming it works. Iron could do work if you're dealing with a powerful brute of a changeling who's being belligerent. Just remember that it does lethal damage just like any weapon.

Cold iron however, acts like a major bane. Aggravated damage without magical healing takes many months to heal and often leaves permanent Conditions. i'd say it would it need to be a thick, possibly leather glove to make it not hurt the changeling. Normal clothing wouldn't work. you probably also need to keep it in a sealed pouch so it doesn't damage him through his thin pocket lining. That means it takes more time to draw. If an enemy pickpockets it off you or wins a control weapon action in a grapple, you've just provided him with your own weakness. Heck, if the glove is damaged during battle, you're suddenly damaging yourself. But the social consequences matter too. Bringing an aggravated damage weapon to a street brawl is major escalation. It will not give you a good reputation and people will start bringing out their own big guns against you. A bouncer is usually better off focusing on grappling opponents to throw out. If you're talking about combat with Hedge creatures or other people you're fighting to the death, it's probably a good idea, except for the chance of it hurting you too.

Tl;dr: iron wouldn't hurt him and could be a good weapon. Cold Iron is a liability in many situations, but a good sturdy leather glove would protect him most of the time.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Isn't using cold iron for breaking up bar fights as effective as a flamethrower? Kinda overkill imo

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        Isn't using cold iron for breaking up bar fights as effective as a flamethrower? Kinda overkill imo
        This is true. However, he's also a PC, who will probably also be getting in higher-stakes fights with less reason to not go for blood too.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

This is true. However, he's also a PC, who will probably also be getting in higher-stakes fights with less reason to not go for blood too.
          True, but that feels a bit too heavy on the meta rationale. If the PC isn't expecting any need to have the ability to at-will deal aggravated damage, much less as their primary weapon from the sounds, then it might be a bit much.

Personally, I'd go with iron knuckles as the default seeing as it would be easier to justify. The cold iron seems like it would be more the equivillant of finding out the bouncer at your club not only has a gun on them at all times, but also has ensured the only rounds they have on hand are meant for punching through kevlar.

That said if the player does want to go with it, what about having it as a backup that hides as part of their attire. Like a cold iron chain worked into the inside of their belt that they can do some trick to withdraw from the leather casing on it should the situation go to utter crap and that be necessary.

Comment

I agree with the above, presuming it's a common establishment. If it's a rather mundane bar, mostly frequented by mortals, the difference between cold iron and brass isn't going to matter a whole lot except to you, if you accidentally come into contact with it. I'd suggest a belt buckle knife or other concealable weapon made of the cold iron, just in case, but stick with the brass knucks for everyday use. Another possibility is one of those derringers that fire a couple of .410 shotgun shells loaded with it. (I think Bond Arms makes them) If it's a Changeling establishment, or one often frequented by them, the cold iron knuckles/Cestus might make for good intimidation value, making it less likely such fights start to begin with. The downside, is you could easily kill someone like that, so would need to weigh the risks.

Comment

Working...
            X