Oak, Ash, & Thorn is on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak, Ash, & Thorn is on DTRPG!

Let the Courts rise! Oak, Ash, & Thorn is now on DTRPG and the STV!

Discuss.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

I like it for the most part, but I don't think I'll ever use the Court forging system. See, if it were higher up, I would understand. But the first 'failure' consequence basically feels like it rewrites the character's personality. Death of personality is something that's a big no for me, and I'd rather move it above the frailties since frailties seem minor in comparison to a that.

Everything else there's awesome, I just feel like that ruins any chance of using that particular part of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzauri View Post
      I like it for the most part, but I don't think I'll ever use the Court forging system. See, if it were higher up, I would understand. But the first 'failure' consequence basically feels like it rewrites the character's personality. Death of personality is something that's a big no for me, and I'd rather move it above the frailties since frailties seem minor in comparison to a that.

Everything else there's awesome, I just feel like that ruins any chance of using that particular part of the system.
      I think that it's entirely reasonable to homebrew things to shuffle those consequences around, or even swap the problem one out for something else, and would encourage you to do so. Frankly, I'd accept a homebrew rule that just removes it: i.e., no consequences until you screw up twice.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
      An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
      Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Tzauri View Post
        There is the very basic solution of Path-Of-What-I-Was-Going-To-Do-Anyway-ing your character's choice of patron or finding someone else to head the effort, but it's worth remembering that your character's Needle and Thread, while personal, are about as significant to the makeup of their personality as Aspirations they pursue or the oaths they uphold; forging a Courtly Bargain is technically easy, but it's always been something that irreversibly ties you to a metaphysical force in a way that's easier for powerful and well-connected fae to manage.

Frailties, meanwhile, actively impinge on your character's freedom to act — it's one thing to realign your projected identity and motivating emotional tenor to better fit the political exchange you'e making with the media presence of Punxsutawney Phil, and a whole different thing to force yourself to get indoors if you see your shadow for the rest of your life, to say nothing of making the star of Groundhog Day your most enduring source of Touchstone-derived Willpower (and needing to definitively cut ties with whoever that relationship is replacing).

"If you can't keep up the pace of tasks for forging a Court, the costs taken out of your hide start with 'your core selfhood-refreshing traits shift to be appropriate to someone who made a Bargain with that patron' and get more intrusive from there, up to and including 'you're pretty much just an extension of the patron and that's not going to change without an Icon'" is something that backs into resonance with the Lost's time in Arcadia from a deal they knowingly initiated and had the opportunity to back out of the entire while for no greater cost than being an oathbreaker.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Why was Sydney changed into being Dublin? Dublin appears to just be a copy paste of Sydney, but with the aussie terms changed to irish. The introduction still even says the section is Sydney, Australia.
          Last edited by milo v3; 05-21-2020, 03:55 AM.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Chapter one and two are good, though for various reasons a lot of the advice given doesn't really mesh with how I like to design Changeling settings or how I run the game. But more ideas/inspiration material is always good.

I don't tend to like the "Bloodlines" sort of systems too much in any splat, and Entitlements seem on the whole the least necessary of any such systems I've seen across CoFD splats. That's not to say they're bad content, but for me personally the idea is a bit unwieldy and just a bit superfluous.

Chapter four I like, I like making Tokens and other things for my games, and this is just 11 or so pages of inspiration for that! ^^

So all in all not too much for me in it, but I won't say it's bad because of that, I'm sure it's right up some other people's alley.
            Last edited by Unahim; 05-26-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unahim View Post
              Chapter four I like, I like making Tokens and other things for my games, and this is just 11 or so pages of inspiration for that! ^^
              Yay, thank you!

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
              Why was Sydney changed into being Dublin? Dublin appears to just be a copy paste of Sydney, but with the aussie terms changed to irish. The introduction still even says the section is Sydney, Australia.
              The intro was a spot where the change got missed unfortunately. As to why the change, Dixie said this on the Discord:

Honestly, it's because we felt that even after consulting the best folks we could find (and it's hard to find Australian Aboriginal consultants for RPGs) it read to some people from that area as insensitive. And since our mostly American/European perspective couldn't easily see the issues or how to fix them, we changed it entirely rather than erasing the Aboriginal perspective and leaving only that of white Australians.
              Someday, I'd like to find the right team of consultants so we feel like we can spotlight Aboriginal Australian culture in the most positive way possible, but we've also had trouble on that front re: Scion. It's just difficult to find someone who is part of the culture and also is willing to consult on an RPG. Not to mention that there's some back and forth regarding if their stories are even allowed to be shared outside of their culture.
              So essentially, rather than possibly put our foot in our mouth or insult someone accidentally, we chose to change it to a place the author did know well and where we could be reasonably sure we weren't causing offense. [...] As much as we do write horror, we try not to be intentionally offensive, so I'll always choose to change a thing if I don't feel we're able to do it as respectfully as we intended to.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

I rather enjoyed most of the book. Funny enough, Chapter 1’s method of making a freehold reminds me a lot of the method a storyteller I had used to allow the players to make the freehold and our slightly weird but immediately kind of homely home, which I was rather impressed by (though the game itself had problems that left a very bitter taste in my mouth). Great to see the method being given more widespread exposure.

Chapter 2, with the actual mechanics of creating a new court in-universe, is also quite a fun read, and has done more than a little to inspire how my own custom courts are formed. The alternate court systems in place are also quite inspired, though I know of at least one person who were frustrated that, by RAW, Briar.Net wasn’t accessible to those outside the Company. Their Mantles are also quite nice to read through to get a bit of perspective regarding them.

Chapter 3 is where I’ve gotten most of my attention though, what with the number of times I’ve tried to make my Changeling-TARDIS conceptually. The exact write-up still hasn’t quite finalized, but making it part of an Entitlement (if perhaps a Wild Title owing to how he gets it) is a legitimate avenue for me to do it without cheapening it to just experiences spent. Now for the ever daunting task of an ST not only letting me use it, but getting to the point of actually using it.

Chapter 4 is quite nice, all things considered, though I admit that the part of it that has gotten the most look is the listing of benefits and how to scale them properly. It reminds me a lot about Demon’s gadget system, which is bar none the aspect of Demon that can get behind the best. Trifles are nice to have in 2e again (and yet another thing drastically changed over from the Dark Eras lineup, unfortunately) and Baubles are interesting to consider, though I’m still in the process of wrapping my head around them. The Empty are awesome, even if I can’t say I plan on making any of my characters into one.

Seriously, everyone brought their A-game to this book. It’s a great omen for how future books will come out to.

Comment

Working...
                X