A 2E City

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2E City

So with all this time, I'm populating LA with monsters. So this thread is about Changelings. How does a society of changelings function? I know there are the courts, but I'm sure there are titled positions in the freehold. And what about the individual courts? What positions do they have on a city by city basis? I'm going to re read the changeling book again to get a feel for it, but I think that this community can make it easier to figure it all out.

One important thing to know about freeholds is that they're support groups for changelings, and not just in the coffee-and-donuts group-addiction-therapy sense — these are the folks who will often be getting you set up with new living arrangements, making sure you have enough of a paper existence to use a credit card, and otherwise get back on your feet in the city you've returned to without your legal identity. Many of them and/or their constituent Courts maintain businesses as front organizations to maintain the community chest and provide skills and places to apply them.

Another important thing to remember is that Courts (and other groups with Mantles) have obligations to their patrons in the form of appropriate rituals they need to carry out with some regularity to maintain their Bargains. As institutional backing for a variety of coping mechanisms changelings use to deal with the situation of their durance and escape, problems a changeling has with their Court will usually be interpersonal or the result of learning some unpleasant truth about the way things really work.

There's often at least a soft divide between changelings who belong to Courts and changelings who don't, even if the freehold initiates courtless members; the fact that "loyalist" is a label applied loosely to any changeling without a Court as readily as to the privateers, bridge-burners, and true loyalists that bedevil the Lost is telling — lack of magically-enforced accountability to the oaths of a freehold makes folks with changelings' issues a little leery.

Otherwise, between doing favors for each other and keeping up the Bargains, changelings in a freehold tend to let well enough alone. A motley might share a house or only gather for specific purposes, and changelings with particular fears about the Huntsman and other fae pursuers might undertake a little-b bargain with a mortal or other non-fae to better cover their tracks through an exchange of favors, and the way the Hedge works makes taming bits of it for the freehold a project few would find fault with. Touchstones are essential points of contact for restoring a changeling's Clarity, and the Lost seldom do well for long without the company of mortals or other changelings, so a bit of social-butterflying is to be expected for anyone who hasn't got their day-to-day on lock.

Generally speaking, the balance is going to be a bunch of changelings doing some combination of sorting out their lives, keeping up with pledges, and maintaining the structures that enable them to manage these things. Plan around personalities and their interactions.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Yeah. I was reading what you said and looking into it and there really doesn't seem to be too much about positions or titles. And that seems to be by design, because having power over other changelings seems to be a no no because of their durance. So positions are few and far between.

And then comes the inevitable question, how many changelings can I fit in the city with all the other splats?

Comment

As I'm reading more and more into the book, it seems to fluctuate wildly. There's not enough members in a freehold to have a defense force, but there are enough members that literally every conceivable job is filled.

Comment

Originally posted by HunterInTheNight View Post
          Yeah. I was reading what you said and looking into it and there really doesn't seem to be too much about positions or titles. And that seems to be by design, because having power over other changelings seems to be a no no because of their durance. So positions are few and far between.
          It's more because positions in the freehold are going to be highly variable based on what the local Courts are sworn to and what the freehold's constituents are. The Court of Revelry is going to need people to help facilitate revelry, and a freehold centered around a taxi service will need people who can drive, but a bunch of changelings in a city with relatively little supernatural presence does not have a high demand for multiple occultist posts.

And then comes the inevitable question, how many changelings can I fit in the city with all the other splats?
          They haven't got the self-control issues and resource hurdles of vampires and werewolves and their runaway-magic impact on their surroundings is less overt than Prometheans, mages, and Sin-Eaters, but unlike Beasts they're consistently easier to track by a broad category of monster without engaging a risky soft-stealth option, and unlike demons they have direct consequences for bottoming out on resources. Given the right company, a changeling can hide "in" a city without ever setting foot on Earth, which helps somewhat with the fact that a large number of people who look suspiciously like other people but have no guaranteed social identity could be tricky to navigate without a lot of paperwork and disguises.

You can fit in a lot, in other words, but how you manage that is going to be highly contextual.

As I'm reading more and more into the book, it seems to fluctuate wildly. There's not enough members in a freehold to have a defense force, but there are enough members that literally every conceivable job is filled.
          Could you unpack what you mean by these things?

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            It's more because positions in the freehold are going to be highly variable based on what the local Courts are sworn to and what the freehold's constituents are. The Court of Revelry is going to need people to help facilitate revelry, and a freehold centered around a taxi service will need people who can drive, but a bunch of changelings in a city with relatively little supernatural presence does not have a high demand for multiple occultist posts.
            Yeah, but those are less positions and more jobs. There's not going to be a fleet command for the taxis.

They haven't got the self-control issues and resource hurdles of vampires and werewolves and their runaway-magic impact on their surroundings is less overt than Prometheans, mages, and Sin-Eaters, but unlike Beasts they're consistently easier to track by a broad category of monster without engaging a risky soft-stealth option, and unlike demons they have direct consequences for bottoming out on resources. Given the right company, a changeling can hide "in" a city without ever setting foot on Earth, which helps somewhat with the fact that a large number of people who look suspiciously like other people but have no guaranteed social identity could be tricky to navigate without a lot of paperwork and disguises.
            Well, the changelings self control issues stem more from the fact that they are losing their grip on reality as clarity damage adds up. And their power source comes from the manipulation of emotions, which causes issues with the werewolves and the attraction of spirits. A misused bedlam can cause quite an issue in hiding. And hiding in the hedge for too long has consequences.

You can fit in a lot, in other words, but how you manage that is going to be highly contextual.
            With a city that has vampires and beasts which changelings can easily mimic to hunters and werewolves which might thin their numbers, all in a large metropolitan city on the water.

Could you unpack what you mean by these things?
            I was reading up on the four season courts, making my life easier. The summer court is usually the biggest in the freehold, and they can't maintain a standing defense force. But the winter court is the smallest, and somehow has an entire laundry list of roles they take up. Like vampires really infest a city, having members everywhere and access to everything. Meanwhile, there are more vampires in a small city than there are prometheans in the entire world.

Comment

Yeah, but those are less positions and more jobs. There's not going to be a fleet command for the taxis.
              You're going to have to explain how "guy that we go to for magical knowhow and accord certain privileges and responsibilities because of his expertise" is a job and not a position. If you want a position that isn't a job-type role then entitlements are a whole separate axis of character development.

I was reading up on the four season courts, making my life easier. The summer court is usually the biggest in the freehold,
              Where did you read this?

and they can't maintain a standing defense force.
              "Most freeholds are not large enough to support a set of changelings standing guard for them as a full-time job" is not the same thing as the "fight the Fae" court lacking the manpower to defend the freehold in the event of an attack.

But the winter court is the smallest, and somehow has an entire laundry list of roles they take up.
              The Winter Court has notoriously been the first refuge for a lot of newly-escaped changelings, who are often concerned chiefly with keeping their heads down. Just because you don't make appearances when the freehold is playing High Society doesn't mean you're not a member of the court.

Also, that laundry list is not inclusive; it's an or-list, not an and-list of Support Roles — a given Winter Courtier might be a scout, a doctor, a cleaner, a counselor, etc, but the point of that paragraph is that regardless of what a Winter Courtier does, they keep in touch with other Winter Courtiers, who tend not to stand out as a matter of practice.

Like vampires really infest a city, having members everywhere and access to everything.
              Vampires get people everywhere and for everything — making a new vampire is a high-effort complication you don't need to bother with when a ghoul or even a blood-addict will suffice.

Meanwhile, there are more vampires in a small city than there are prometheans in the entire world.
              If you have a hundred vampires lairing and hunting in a small city then there is a problem. They keep territories for several reasons and blood-scarcity is only one of them.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Where did you read this?
                I thought I read this too, but couldn't find it. Perhaps because the book says Winter is often (not always) smallest, we assumed we remembered reading Summer was largest. ^^

Anyway, while Changelings are certainly more stable than Vampires, I wouldn't say they're entirely so. Involuntarily causing Bedlam is big enough of a risk that there's direct mentions and rules for it in the corebook, so it likely does occur from time to time in the setting, and the reprecussions can be large. Likewise, a few ill-thought-out Oaths can trap not only a Changeling (and his Motley) himself, but might also lock an entire Freehold or Court into a situation where they might have to break promises of protection or suffer the consequences. Rather, and suffer the consequences. Since Wyrd is said to react extra strongly when multiple conflicting Oaths are involved. ;o

The bigger the Freehold gets, the more likely a traitor slips in, of course. So add that to the above, and we definitely get some sort of size-pressure on a Freehold: too big and eventually someone attracts big bad attention, and a short while later the Freehold just isn't quite as large anymore.
                My personal headcanon is that most Changelings are, unfortunately, at some point (can be weeks, months, years, decades) recaptured or killed (by accident during the pursuit, or intentionally). It seems almost inevitable when you need to keep winning your entire life while your enemies need only win once. Your Keeper just forgetting about you seems like your best bet, and then hope some other Keeper doesn't go after you as a bargaining chip against your former Keeper or just weird jealousy or whatever, really. And then hope nobody suddenly takes extreme measures when they disagree with your Court's proposed course of action during the upcoming Season vehemently enough to panic and go a bit mad about making sure they never have to go back! And then hope nobody sells out the entire Freehold at a bulk discount.
                So I'd say that maybe a hundred Changelings in a big city, sure. But not thousands...

As for positions, leader of a Court is certainly a position, and beyond that I think each Court decides for themselves, with a few near the top having permanent roles and most courtiers splitting their time between daily lives and doing things for the Court/Freehold. The Durance is just too diverse for Changelings to arrive at a sort of shared system between Freeholds.
                Oh, and during Low Season, I generally assume each Court assigns one liaison/advisor for the current Ruling Court.

I think this part in the Summer court write-up explains a lot about Freeholds as a whole:
                The Lost are individuals, and a freehold’s populace is full of people who might man a barricade in a time of need, but have no interest in making discipline and chain of command the new normal.
                So a Winter Courtier might run a farm and let her Court occassionally bring her newly escaped Changelings to stay there, lay low, and give them time/space/solitude to start working through their grief while being looked after and having something to occupy their hands and make a little money for later, and would go to major Court/Freehold gatherings, but might stay on the farm most of the year and only see other Courtiers when they come bring new Changelings or are asked to come drive someone back to town once they feel they don't need the farm anymore.
                Last edited by Unahim; 06-08-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X