Dark Eras Changeling Compilation on DTRPG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Eras Changeling Compilation on DTRPG

Seven eras for $9.99 is a steal of a deal. If you haven't gotten into Dark Eras yet, this is a great time to jump on board!

Discuss.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Will they be fixing the completely unusable mechanics in the DE1 chapters to actually be usable for 2e Changeling and if so will they update our DE1 PDFs?

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
      Will they be fixing the completely unusable mechanics in the DE1 chapters to actually be usable for 2e Changeling and if so will they update our DE1 PDFs?
      No. They're still as they are when originally presented in DE1.

And aside from the Directional Courts update in OAaT, I'm not expecting official updates to 2e mechanics anytime soon.

(*eyes STV for the inevitable time when someone posts their own updates...if ever*)

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

No. They're still as they are when originally presented in DE1.

And aside from the Directional Courts update in OAaT, I'm not expecting official updates to 2e mechanics anytime soon.

(*eyes STV for the inevitable time when someone posts their own updates...if ever*)
        So they are selling a repackaged product they know is broken and none functional?!?! That extremely unethical. Imagine buying a refubhished bike from Amazon, only to find out they didn't actually fix anything and your buying an already broken unrepair bike.

I cut the Oynx Path some slack when DE1 came out after I bought it, because it's was a weird time of uncertainty and transition and it wasn't done on purpose. But selling this product without fixing it's component parts first is irresponsible business practices. And it's mislabelled too, all of the Changeling Settings in DE1 were for Changeling 2e except for one,
        admittedly a version of 2e that vanished and that was not really functional with that version properly to begin with. Yet in the description they are presented as for CtL 1e which is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
          That extremely unethical.
          No it's not.

There is nothing in the store entry that says that they were going to update the mechanics or present them in a way that's dissimilar to how they appeared in their original form.

Comment

Moreover, it is the middle of a bloody pandemic right now. This was put together as a way to give people access to cheap gaming material during said pandemic (and CtL likely got the pick because it is so popular). Rewriting shit takes tons of time and energy, both of which people are short on right now.

Dark Eras came out over four years ago. It's time to let this one go and move on. If you really want that update, wait for someone to do a conversion on the Vault.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

And when questioned about this before, OPP has also been clear that going back and rewriting the older entries beyond the initial errata phase is a low priority at best, and a non-existent possibility at worst.

Honestly, I was surprised we even got the Directional Courts rewrite in OAaT.

Comment

No it's not.

There is nothing in the store entry that says that they were going to update the mechanics or present them in a way that's dissimilar to how they appeared in their original form.
                You don't think it's unethical to release a product that is mostly written for an edition of the game that doesn't exist while instead claiming those parts are for the first edition despite that being false? Remember, this is a standalone product that is marketed to everyone, old and new fans alike. And even if it was targeted to old fans, the consumer still has no responsibility to know the history of the material and that it's not fully compatible with any version of the game.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced these settings are useless in 2nd Edition.

Lily, Sabre, and THorn was explictly written for Changeling 1st, sure, but the Underhill based settings of Three Kingdoms of Darkness, Requiem for Regina, and A Grimm Dark Era aren't really that hard to read under 2nd Edition's purview, and for the most part all you have to mechanics wise is apply new 2- and 4- Dot Mantle benefits and otherwise read the Bulwarks as the Give and Takes of the courts in accordance. Grimm Dark Era's weirdnesses of faerie magic wildly changing as fairy tales become more codified can easily be the product of oaths, a Contagion, or just some general fucking weirdness. The Grimms themselves are useless, but that's a minor detail. Most of the contracts work as is, and even correspond to way they're presented in Dark Eras 2.

New fans might be confused, but either they'll seek answers or just adapt. The settings, for the most part, still work quite well*.

Seems like a lot of hooplah over nothing that serious, is all I'm saying.

*Assuming you like Three Kingdoms of Darkness and the changeling section of Requiem for Regina in the first place, which....Well, I didn't and don't.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    If you really want that update, wait for someone to do a conversion on the Vault.
                    *cough*

(that is, if no one beats me to it considering that...I'm working on different, WoD STV products as priority so it's possible someone else might do it...then again, as noted above, no one's put up anything yet for STV after all this time since it's launched sooooo.....)

Comment

There was actually chatter in a discord about Dark Eras content the other day. Lots of us have plans, but I think the consensus was that they take so much more energy thanks to the research involved that community content eras are a slow grind to come out.

Comment

Someone was wondering if they were going to have more bundles to buy all the dark eras of one game or another. I've got the books so it's not my concern but I could see it being appealing to the new people. And there do seem to be more people getting into the game at the moment. I'm not sure if the forum is unknown or they're still dealing with a lengthy registration process but I imagine we'd see more here.

I've been keeping an eye out for entries on the STV (like LostLight's Neolithic Hunter). Not particularly interested in changeling anymore but well-researched and gameline-respecting Dark Eras are bound to get some dosh from me.

Comment

There was actually chatter in a discord about Dark Eras content the other day. Lots of us have plans, but I think the consensus was that they take so much more energy thanks to the research involved that community content eras are a slow grind to come out.
                          Well, mechanics updates are probably not needed for the the same extent of research as completely fanmade Eras.

Comment

No it's not.

It also doesn't tell the buyer they are broken and unusable either, if it did I wouldn't have complained about it.

Comment

Moreover, it is the middle of a bloody pandemic right now. This was put together as a way to give people access to cheap gaming material during said pandemic (and CtL likely got the pick because it is so popular). Rewriting shit takes tons of time and energy, both of which people are short on right now.

Dark Eras came out over four years ago. It's time to let this one go and move on. If you really want that update, wait for someone to do a conversion on the Vault.
                              Its not about me, I have moved on, its a about newbies who could end up buying a product with 50% roughly unusable mechanics. That is not fair to new players who don't know that going in. Its like selling a box of dishes where half are shattered, because you know that new buyers won't know about the broken dishes.

Comment

Working...
                              X