Fan Made Kiths / Updating the Test Material Kiths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Made Kiths / Updating the Test Material Kiths

I couldn't find an existing topic active in 2020 that seemed the right place to put this. I am about to run a game in a week and since the Kith book is not available yet I spent some time updating the Kiths in the original play test material to align to the way that Kiths were treated in the final 2e release. Posting them here in case anyone else gets any use out of them until we get more Kiths.

Airtouched
    Here is your kite back, kid. That tree was easier to climb than it looked. No, no. Don’t you try to go up there, OK?

Kingdoms of glittering ice built on immense clouds. Balconies carved into the face of a towering mountain. Mansions with stilts that disappear into the fog unfathomable miles below. The changelings that become airtouched are as varied as the lofty realms in which they spent their durance. Floating, flying, or gliding was the only method of travel possible, and so their Keepers changed them. Some had wings grafted to their flesh, some rode lightning bolts as steeds, and some were made lighter than air, carried by the wind itself.

• ​ Beast: Round, unblinking eyes, a sweeping crest of wind ruffled feathers, and fingers that end in hooked talons.
    • ​ Fairest: ​Footfalls that barely touch the ground, gently rustling clothes, and a mass of swirling white hair.
    • ​ Ogre: ​Thick slabs of muscle, skin that glows sunset red, and a cone of roiling smoke in place of legs.

Blessing: When the Airtouched uses Stealth to leave no tracks achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
    Flare: An Airtouched never seems to touch the ground. Mortals think they are light on their feet, like a dancer, but behind the mask other Changelings see that the ground itself rejects their touch. He can spend a point of Glamour to turn these soft buoyant steps into exuberant leaps that carry him closer to the sky he can no longer quite reach. For the rest of the scene the distance the Airtouched can leap is multiplied by his Wyrd + 1 and he takes no damage from falling, no matter the distance. An Airtouched with the Seven League Leap Contract can travel seemingly impossible distances.

Author
    I know he’s quiet and doesn’t weigh in much, but he has his opinions. Just be glad he keeps them to himself, or else we’d all be just doing whatever he wanted. He’s got this way of talking that wins the heart and mind. That’s a dangerous power, so be glad he doesn’t turn it on us.

Despite her grasp on language and storytelling, an author tend to be quiet and reserved. She was forced to write prose, tell stories, and craft verbal imagery for her Fae master. Sometimes, an author might have been her master’s only connection with human language, having to teach words and meanings to keep him up to date. After spending so long creating, most prefer to simply read and absorb.

• ​Darkling: He is papery and thin with words and ink stains forming his features.
    • ​ Wizened: ​The changeling is made up of the pages of her own prose, leather and wooden
    bindings holding her together at her joints.

Blessing: ​When the Author uses Expression to write any creative piece, they achieve an exceptional success with three successes instead of five.
    Flare: The Author understands the intent of the written word on a deep fundamental level. Language becomes unimportant as they divine the mind of a writer through the act of turning the pages. By spending a point of Glamour she can understand the content of any written text regardless of the language in which it is written, and can read it at phenomenal speeds. For the rest of the scene she has a bonus to any extended action that involves reading equal to her Wyrd (maximum of +5.) This functions for even dead or non-existent languages. The scrawls of a madman are as legible as her mother tongue.

Blightbent
    Paramedic said your lungs would look like fried scrapple if you hadn’t gotten your mask on. Me? Nah I’m fine. You’d be surprised how long I can hold my breath.

Not all the realms of Arcadia are untouched, primeval wilderness. Whether a twisted reflection of urban landscapes or corrupted from the bile of their Fae owner, some are polluted hell*scapes of sulfuric clouds, corrosive sludge, and contaminated soil. Blightbent’s are those changelings who survived in these conditions, breathing foul air, and eating poisonous food, forced to become lesser versions of their tainted masters.

• Darkling: ​A soot stained waistcoat, sizzling footsteps, and a stovepipe hat that occasionally belches smoke.
    • Elemental: Pitted chunks of concrete and globs of asphalt strung together with rusted re*bar.
    • Wizened: ​Skin like slick yellow plastic, a mouth like a Gigeresque respirator, and nictitating membranes.

Blessing: When the Blightbent uses Survival to weather the effect of environmental hazards caused by toxins or similar sources achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
    Flare: The Blighbent absorbs toxins they inhale or ingest in the strange twisted organs which grew in response to their Keeper’s hellscape. The Blightbent can use an instant action and spend a point of glamour to exhale toxic smoke. He rolls Stamina + Survival + Wyrd against all enemies within melee range. They roll their Stamina + Wyrd to resist. If the Blightbent scores more successes the other character suffers the Sick Tilt.

Brewer
    Never let Sara mix you a drink. The last time she played bartender for the freehold, we all woke up three days later in a clearing in the hedge with a gang of goblins calling Joe, “your majesty.”

The brewer is trained in the art of alchemy and potion making, supplying both intoxicating substances and poisons for the freehold. The changeling was created to brew arcane tinctures for her master. Not only did she make brews and potions of unknown substances, but often she was forced to test the potency and efficacy of her brews on herself.

• ​ Elemental: ​The changeling is coated in a sheen of viscous fluid, her hair is tinted the colour of dried vegetation, and her eyes are liquid brown.
    • ​ Ogre: ​The Ogre has overlarge muscles and his skin is mottled with sores and bruises as the effects of his brew testing.
    • ​ Wizened:​ She is large and portly with some piece of her trade a permanent part of her body. Maybe her torso is a cauldron, or her fingers are flattened like wooden spoons.

Blessing: ​A Brewer achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Science skill roll that involves identifying, altering, or creating a liquid.
    Flare: The Brewer can spend a point of Glamour to alter the composition of any liquid which they can interact with. This may be as simple as pouring it from a vessel or as complicated as running it through an arcane laboratory. The Brewer rolls Intelligence + Science + Wyrd and chooses one of the properties from the list below. If the property calls for a resistance roll use the successes on the activation roll against the targets Stamina + Wyrd. Every time a person drinks the liquid the Brewer must reflexively spend another point of Glamour or the effect on the bottled liquid ends (though the effect on people who have already drunk it persists.)
    • Adder’s Kiss: The liquid carries a subtle poison and anyone who drinks it must succeed at a resistance roll or suffer the moderate version of the poisoned tilt or the sick tilt. If the Brewer achieved an exceptional success, they may choose to intensify this to a grave poison or the grave version of the sick tilt instead of the usual benefit.
    • Fogged Mind: Any drinker who fails a resistance roll is affected by the Drugged Tilt. The effect lasts for 10 – the victim’s Stamina + Resolve or the Brewer’s Wyrd in Hours, whichever is longer.
    • Cupids Tonic: The person who drinks this is affected by the Swooned Condition in regard to a specific individual chosen by the Brewer at the time of handling the liquid. If the person who drinks it is the person the Brewer nominated, they instead gain the Swooned Condition with the first person they see after they finish drinking.
    • Sleeping Draught: Anyone who drinks this brew and fails the resistance roll gains the Lethargic condition. If they already had it the effect worsens by -1. The Brewer may choose to intensify the effect by an additional -1 in place of the usual result of an exceptional success.
    On an exceptional success the brewer may add one of the following conditions alongside the potions basic effect: Blinded, Deafened, Inspired or Steadfast. Negative conditions have a resistance roll the same as the potions base effect.

Broadback
    We should stop. You look like you’re ready to fall asleep on your feet. Me? Nah – this is nothing.

Some Gentry collect vast stores of material goods. Whether as beasts of burden pulling endless wagon trains, or as porters with whole houses strapped to their backs, the changelings used to transport these goods become broadbacks. Driven beyond mortal exhaustion they plodded on, tapping into reserves of strength and determination to continue their pointless journeys. They are stubborn bastards. They had to be.

• ​ Beast: ​Chimerical amalgamations of animals known for being stubborn, rhinos, elephants, goats, and camels.
    • ​ Ogre:​ Tireless, towering brutes who ignore all injury while methodically closing in on their prey.
    • ​ Wizened:​ Shrunken bodies strapped into smoking, clanking metallic walking machines.

Blessing: ​The broadback achieves an exceptional success with three successes rather than five on any Athletics roll made to lift or carry, and to make a forced march.
    Flare: The broadback is built to carry unwieldy and impossible weight across their scarred shoulders. They are typically strong, and look it, but with additional effort that strength can grow to dwarf the strongest human. By spending a point of Glamour the broadback can multiply their effective strength by their Wyrd + 1, but only for the purpose of lifting and carrying objects and creatures during the current scene. This only applies to the characters base strength score and does not affect additional Strength from Contracts.

Brollachan
    You'd like to get away wouldn't you. In fact, you'd do anything to escape from me, but you can't. I'm not going to release you until you tell me exactly what you told the Huntsmen. Tell me everything and you can go.

Brollachan are creatures of unseen fear. In Arcadia, they were utterly shapeless masses of darkness that most Keepers use them as guards, soldiers, or interrogators. Brollachan excel at understanding and inflicting fear. Before her Durance, a brollachan was usually either someone who could be terrifying or someone who had been afraid for much of her life and was determined to learn to turn the tables on her tormentors.

• ​ Beast: ​ A shapeless pool of darkness with glowing eyes.
    • Elemental:​ A statue made from living darkness with glowing eyes and long grasping arms.
    • ​ Ogre: ​ A crudely shaped night black creature with large hands and glowing eyes.

Blessing: When using Intimidate on a restrained or otherwise captive victim the Brollachan only needs three successes to have an exceptional success.
    Flare: By spending a point of Glamour the Brollachan gains access to the following grapple manoeuvre:
    • Shadow Grasp: With a flare of red eyes the Brollachan and her victim are surrounded by coils of black smoke and fade into shadows. Until the grapple ends both the Brollachan and her opponent are intangible and cannot be affected by any physical actions or obstructions. This allows a brollachan who is in control of a grapple to pass through solid objects. The Brollachans grapple counts as a supernatural form of restraint, meaning that portaling and any Contracts or other abilities that allow a character to affect someone in the Twilight or a similar realm trigger a clash of wills.
    Chirurgeon
    Senora, I won't take your money. This is a free clinic and I do this work for myself as much as for your daughter and my other patients. I have done things I am ashamed of and I work here to help repay others for the ill that I once did.

Some Gentry create a chirurgeon to heal injured Gentry or changelings, but others create one so that he can in turn transform ordinary mortals into changelings or to alter changelings that his Keeper wishes to remake.

• ​ Beast: ​A disturbing creature with the eyes, mandibles and many jointed arms like a praying mantis. All of these insectile parts closely resemble surgical tools.
    • ​ Darkling: ​He has a round body with long limbs ending in many long fingers and toes, all of which have many scars. Each of his fingers ends in a different surgical tool made from fingernail or bone.
    • ​ Fairest: ​Portions of her skin is covered in decorative scars that resemble tattoos and her long silver fingernails conceal surgical instruments that retract like a cat's claws.

Blessing: ​A chirurgeon who uses the Medicine skill to perform surgery achieves an exceptional success with three successes instead of five. They never suffer a penalty for lack of tools on such a roll.
    Flare: When providing medical care to a patient the chirurgeon can spend a point of glamour as part of an extended action to add his Wyrd + 1 (maximum of +5) to any rolls the patient makes to recover from disease. The patient also heals at an accelerated rate. Halve the healing time of Lethal and Aggravated damage by a number of times equal to the changelings Wyrd (e.g. one day for Lethal at Wyrd 1, twelve hours at Wyrd 2, six hours at Wyrd 3 etc.) This cannot reduce the healing time for Lethal to less than an hour or Aggravated to less than a day.

Coldscale
    This indoor orchid garden is my favorite room and I hold all of my meetings here. Yes, it's expensive to keep all of these plants, but the deal we are talking about helps pay those bills. If you give the security contract to my firm, we'll make absolutely certain that your neighborhood is protected from all threats, even ones you might never suspect or perhaps even believe.

Keepers dwelling in realms where reptiles were the norm or in hot dry realms where only the toughest inhabitants could survive created most coldscales. By their nature, a coldscale is somewhat distant and if she feels strong emotions, she rarely expresses them. Before her Durance, a coldscale was usually an outsider, not as much because people rejected her, but because she chose to keep her distance from others.

• ​ Darkling: ​A serpent *like creature coloured so that it is easily overlooked, but disturbing to look upon.
    • ​ Elemental: A reptilian figure carved from living jade.
    • ​ Fairest: A sleek and elegant reptilian humanoid, with small attractively patterned scales.
    • ​ Ogre:​ Resembling a gila monster with large crocodile*like scutes, this creature appears exceptionally tough.

Blessing: ​A coldscale achieves an exceptional success on three successes rather than five for any Animal Ken roll made to interact with cold blooded animals.
    Flare: The coldscale’s emotional distance is a form of armour. Attachment only brings pain. With a point of glamour the coldscale amplifies their existing reptilian scales causing them to spread, grow and harden. For the remainder of the scene the coldscale has general armor equal to his Wyrd divided by two, and ballistic armor equal to his Wyrd divided by four. Both values are rounded up, so as an example a coldscale with Wyrd 3 has armor of 2/1 when using this ability while one with Wyrd 5 has armor of 3/2.

Coyote
    The sound of laughter filled the room marking his defeat. What had started as a simple job had turned into an utter nightmare as each new discovery lead to more and more enemies following his trail. All for the favor of one girl, someone who promised him all she wanted was the satisfaction of knowing he had succeeded. Who knew she had so many enemies for him to succeed against?

Known to many as tricksters and master manipulators, everything comes at a cost when dealing with a coyote. Created by masters who enjoyed deep political intrigue, the Coyote underwent a Durance that pitted his wits against those of other Gentry. He was always forced to find an advantage or an upper hand to any situation. Such habits are not easily overcome.

• ​ Beast:​ She may have a tail or claws of a coyote, but they all have the head of one attached to a human body.
    • ​ Fairest: ​The changeling takes on a sleek appearance of a bipedal coyote with glistening fur and gleaming eyes.
    • ​ Ogre:​ The changeling has tufts of fur and hair over an otherwise smooth body.

Blessing:​ When coyote’s roll Subterfuge to trick someone into taking a specific course of action they get an exceptional success on three successes.
    Flare: When the coyote is making a Social Manoeuvring roll he can spend a point of glamour to immediately bump himself up one impression level higher than he would otherwise be. This can be used to go from an impression level of hostile to average meaning the coyote can likely dupe, trick or swindle people over and over again. Somehow they just keep on trusting him.

Cyclopean
    I can almost taste the emotion in this piece. What? No! I most certainly did not just lick the sculpture.

Cyclopean are those changelings taken to Arcadia to be craftsmen and builders. Maimed or deformed during their labours, usually as punishment for producing work that failed to meet exacting and ever-changing standards, they were forced to continue their craft. Some replaced lost pieces of themselves with tools to keep working while others simply learned to make do with a single arm or eye.

• ​ Darkling: ​Clacking sandals, a wicker basket covering a deformed head, and chisel *tipped fingers poking out from long *sleeved monk’s robes.
    • ​ Ogre: Elephantine tusks, the calloused hands of a stonemason, and a great, round eye in the center of a massive skull.
    • ​ Wizened: A leather apron hung with tongs and files, lungs like bellows, and one hand replaced with a forge hammer.

Blessing: Cyclopean changelings who use Crafts to either copy an existing object exactly, or to mass produce something according to a pattern achieve an exceptional success with three successes.
    Flare: The adage usually goes quality over quantity. Both; says the merciless Keeper. As long as the cyclopean changeling has access to tools and materials, she can churn out new crafts with astonishing speed. The changeling spends a point of glamour to create a simple item as an instant action. As a rule of thumb this cannot be used to manufacture anything that requires advanced machinery or tooling, it must be something the changeling could make by hand with what she has around her.

Gargantuan
    Stand back. I’m going to block the hallway.
    But…
    I said, I am going to block the hallway!

As with all things related to humanity, the True Fae have no concept of, nor care about, human scale. Palaces are built to immense dimensions, each brick the size of a city block. The changelings stolen away to these titanic realms needed to be resized to fit their new surroundings. Some were stretched on massive racks, while others were force fed until they reached an appropriate size. A few were simply “lucky” enough to be the head of a massive collection of grotesquely fused bodies.

• Darkling: Something that resembles a solid, three-dimensional shadow, changing size with each new furtive glance.
    • ​ Ogre: ​A massive brute, seemingly clothed in rocks and boulders, capable of swelling to even more monstrous proportions.
    • ​ Wizened: ​Telescoping clockwork limbs, an inflatable torso, and a huffing bellows canister strapped to its back.

Blessing: ​When making an Intimidation dice roll that relies on physical strength or size the gargantuan achieves an exceptional success with three successes.
    Flare: Many gargantuan changelings have the Giant merit, though not all retained as much of their previous stature. In reality the gargantuan does still tower over the world but her mask tricks the world into thinking she does not. By spending a point of glamour the gargantuan forces reality to concede to her immensity. For the rest of the scene the gargantuans effective size increases by her Wyrd. She does not actually grow visibly taller to mortals.

Grey
    You really should be more careful who you shake hands with. Now that I know all about how you betrayed the previous Winter Queen are you more interested in agreeing to back my candidacy?

One was created as a watchful overseer for other changelings, able to spy on her charges' thoughts, another helped his Keeper locate mortals to abduct, and a third was a component of a vast Gentry controlled telepathic hive*mind. Before her Durance, a grey may have been an intellectual who had trouble understanding others and was granted her desire in a strange and often disturbing fashion. Another might have had latent psychic gifts that the Gentry found useful.

• ​ Beast: ​Her grey rubbery skin resembles that of a dolphin or a squid and she has the black featureless eyes of a shark.
    • ​ Fairest: ​Attractively androgynous, completely hairless, with large eyes, and an elegantly large head, this creature looks like a fashion model from a science fiction story.
    • ​ Wizened: ​His grey hairless skin has been fitted small implants made of metal and glowing glass, especially around his enlarged skull.

Blessing: ​A grey gets an exceptional success when rolling three successes instead of five whenever they use Academics to research an individual with whom they have had direct contact in the last few days.
    Flare: A grey can spend one glamour whenever they are in skin to skin (or its equivalent) contact with something that has an Intelligence attribute. The grey then rolls their Intelligence + Wyrd opposed by the targets Resolve + Wyrd. If the Grey rolls more successes than the target they experience flashes of information regarding the target’s recent activities and the target gains the Leveraged Condition with the grey.

Ifrit
    I remember existing as a single flame in an endless plain of fire. I'm home and free, but I'm still
    drawn to large fires, I suppose that's why I became an arson investigator.

An ifrit is not merely a creature of flame, her thoughts are inhumanly swift. Keepers dwelling in realms of flame, brass, and stone created some Ifrit to serve as scholars or highly attentive and effective servants. Other Ifreeti spent their Durance as works of art made of fire or as part of a wall of fire surrounding and protecting their Keeper's home.

• ​ Beast: A glowing phoenix like creature where each feather is a separate tongue of dancing flame.
    • ​ Darkling: Patterns of flickering green and blue flames cover the creature's hairless skin like living tattoos, and its eyes shine with wicked dancing fires of the same colour.
    • ​ Wizened: ​Crystal bands glowing with flickering internal fire are grafted to the creature's joints. When it becomes emotional, fire briefly engulfs its head or hands before the crystals suppress it.

Blessing: ​Ifreeti get an exceptional success with three successes on any Academics roll where there is a time limit imposed on the success of the action.
    Flare: Spending a point of Glamour, the ifrit can perform any extended task that is mostly or entirely mental, like composing a speech or performing research, with blinding speed. If each roll in an extended task normally requires an hour or less, she can make one roll per turn. If the roll uses Academics then she does not benefit from her Blessing ability in that skill.

Illes
    I'm sorry, I’m busy today, but we can go out later, I promise. I would love to see your yacht in the moonlight.

Some Gentry dwell in dim cavernous realms and everyone they abduct becomes part of their lightless kingdom. They create illes as emissaries who travel to other realms. These Keepers cannot forge any illusions that survive bright light, but their emissaries become beings of wondrous beauty at night and away from the sun. At these times, an illes can persuade, seduce, or con others with great ease. However, with the touch of the sun, she reverts to a subterranean creature.

• Darkling: ​Away from sunlight, he appears as a noble creature with elegantly exaggerated features and long lovely fingers. Sunlight reveals him to have an unpleasantly rat like face and disturbingly spider*like hands.
    • Fairest: ​At night, everyone looking at her sees their perfect ideal of beauty. In sunlight, her shining skin becomes a dull grey and she looks perfectly ordinary.
    • ​Ogre:​ In sunlight, he is a brutish hulking creature who becomes a gorgeously muscled wonder of strength and power at night.

Blessing: During the hours between sunset and sunrise the Illes achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Socialise rolls made to impress or capture attention. During the hours between sunrise and sunset the Illes achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Socialise rolls made to illicit pity or to blend in unnoticed. If the Illes has the Striking Looks merit it is also affected by this change, by day it makes her unnaturally beautiful or imposing, and by night ugly or unremarkable in equally extreme ways.
    Flare: For a point of Glamour the Illes can focus her presence on a single person who can currently see her and intensify the effect of her dual nature. The Illes rolls Presence + Wyrd contested by the targets Composure + Wyrd. If the Illes has more successes, then the target suffers from a condition representative of her current appearance. During night-time hours they are affected by either the Swooned or Obsession conditions. In daylight they are affected by either the Spooked or Guilty conditions. If a character is still under the effects of a condition imposed by this ability when night falls or the sun rises, the next time they see the Illes it changes to a condition which matches the Illes current appearance. A Swooned character might become Guilty the next morning, or a Spooked character may grow Obsessed as night falls.

Levinquick
    Your daughter is in that car, but I can get her back. In this traffic, I can easily catch them and be back here with her before they even notice I was there.

The Gentry create levinquick by transforming a changeling's body into living electricity or binding lighting into her flesh. Some Keepers dwell in realms that are eternally filled with wild electrical storms or where lightning flows across the ground like jagged rivers. Others sought messengers, living decorations, or performers made from arcing current. Before their Durance, some levinquick were fascinated by electricity, while others were nervous or highly energetic individuals who were in constant motion. Regardless of why his Keepers transformed him, a levinquick's body is composed mostly or entirely of electricity and he becomes a swift inhuman creature. Once back in the mortal world, a levinquick usually has trouble with both patience and stillness.

• ​ Darkling: The creature's hair, eyes, and claws are all composed solely of electricity, while the rest of its body appears gnarled and menacing.
    • ​ Elemental:​ A creature of living lightning, its body appears to be made of precisely controlled electric arcs.
    • ​ Ogre: Arcs of electricity continuously run along his body and a network of fine scars are visible beneath these arcs.

Blessing: ​When a Levinquick uses Streetwise to form an immediate first impression of a scene they get an exceptional success on three successes.
    Flare: As a reflexive action the levinquick can spend a point of glamour to add their Wyrd rating to their defence and multiply their speed by their Wyrd + 1. When using this ability their defence also applies to firearms attacks until the start of their next turn. They can spend another point of glamour at that time to maintain the defence and speed increases for another turn.

Manikin
    If you think you can sneak past the guards, then don't worry about me. Once we get in the storeroom, you set the fire and get out. When the smoke builds up, I'll open the ventilation and flood the place with smoke. I saw the guard use the computer to do it earlier and I remember the steps he took.

Keepers who either enjoyed playing with living dolls or whose realms had no place for living flesh and blood transformed manikins from humans into artificial constructs. A manikin's new form is merely an imitation of humanity, but it also lacks most human frailties.

• ​ Fairest: ​A creation of metal, jewels, and perfectly crafted joints, this humanoid figure is stunning and elegant.
    • ​ Ogre:​ This terrifying creation is roughly humanoid and exceedingly functional. Within the limits of the humanoid form, little care was taken to make it appear beautiful or even particularly human.
    • ​ Wizened: ​Although no trace of flesh remains, it's clear that this construct of brushed aluminum, colored wires, and advanced circuits was made by replacing portions of a human body one piece at a time.

Blessing: ​Choose an additional speciality in one of the following skills: Computer, Crafts or Drive. When rolling a dice pool which benefits from that speciality the Manikin achieves an exceptional success on three successes. The Manikin can change this specialty as an extended action by observing someone making use of the new specialty and spending a point of Glamour. This change is permanent until changed again.
    Flare: The Manikin can spend a point of Glamour as a reaction when observing someone else to perfectly recreate their movements, speech, and mannerisms. When someone else succeeds at a dice roll the Manikin can note down the number of successes (up to her Wyrd + 1) and then add that number of successes to a dice roll using the same attribute and skill made within the same scene. If the Manikin would usually suffer an untrained penalty, she ignores it.

Oni
    Someone here does not fit in. You! You’re the raised nail.

The True Fae are sticklers for rules and etiquette. Fairytales are full of examples, with the poor mortals who break these rules, knowingly or not, put to sleep for a century, turned into trees, or worse. But even in Arcadia, the Gentry have need of making sure their arbitrary and ever-changing decrees are followed. The changelings that become oni are their enforcers. Through rigorous training and frequent punishment, they learned to root out those that did not fit in.

• ​ Beast: Curving horns, sharp fangs, the worst qualities of tiger and ox rolled into one nasty package.
    • ​ Darkling: ​Robes the color of thunderclouds, a hopping gait, and a head that rotates in all directions.
    • ​ Ogre:​ Bright red or blue skin, an animal skin loincloth, multiple eyes, and a voice like a thunderclap.

Blessing: ​When an Oni uses Subterfuge to determine when a person is lying three successes counts as an exceptional success.
    Flare: Untruth and deception are foul to the Oni’s senses, and bring a fury that can scourge such an affront from their presence. The Oni can spend a point of glamour to summon forth howling winds, driving rain, and deafening thunder – but only those who have presented a false face can see and hear it. The Oni rolls Presence + Intimidate + Wyrd resisted by an opponents Composure + Wyrd. If the Oni wins the contested roll and if the opponent is lying, has lied, or is disguised in any way this scene then they suffer the Heavy Winds tilt with a severity equal to the Oni’s Wyrd dots. Only by fleeing the Oni’s presence or telling the truth and revealing their true face does the tilt end. Contracts and supernatural abilities that provide disguises or allow for lies to go undetected trigger a clash of wills.

Razorhand
    You made me; you gave me my shiny claws and forced me to kill. Now these same claws are going to taste your perfect blood.

A Keeper creates a razorhand to be a killer. Some Gentry wanted a bodyguard who could swiftly dispatch any threat, others desired an assassin able to slay his victims with a single blow but all wished to create exceptionally deadly changelings. Their Keeper made the changeling's body into a living weapon. While some embrace pacifism after their escape, in Arcadia, their Keepers forced razorhands to murder dozens of changelings and to also eliminate their enemies among the Gentry. Regardless of their Seeming, all razorhands look deadly and have blades, claws, or perhaps shards of crimson glass attached to their hands or fingers.

• ​Beast:​ A sleek and predatory carnivore with short fur, sharp fangs, and exceptionally long claws.
    • ​Darkling:​ A sharp* faced furtive* looking individual with pointed teeth, exaggerated features, and long fingers. Each hand has a sixth finger normally kept folded against the palm. This finger is a shining blade of pale bone.
    • Ogre: A strong and deadly *looking brute with a large spur of sharpened bone along the edges of each of her hands.

Blessing: The razorhand has natural weapons that deal 0L, have a size of 0 and no Strength requirement. The razorhand uses Weaponry rather than brawl with these weapons and achieves an exceptional success with three successes on any Weaponry dice roll to attack an object that uses these natural weapons.
    Flare: Devastating as the razorhand’s attacks are most of the time they still fall short of the sheer power of the violence they were capable of in Arcadia. By spending a point of glamour, the razorhand can increase the weapon bonus, effective size and strength requirement of their natural weapon by an amount up to their Wyrd (maximum 5.) If a single attack deals more damage to the target than their Stamina the razorhand can spend another point of glamour reflexively to apply the Arm Wrack, Blinded, Deafened, or Leg Wrack tilt.

Tunnelgrub
    Getting through is the easy part. It’s holding my breath until I pop out of the toilet on the other end that’s going to be tricky.

Locked away from the light and warmth of the sun, tunnelgrubs were those changelings who spent their durance beneath the surface of the earth. Slinking along through echoing caverns, silent crypts, or slimy sewer tunnels, they pulled, pushed, and slid their bodies through the dank Arcadian underground. The vast weight of earth pressing down on them stretched them out, crushed them flat, and made them malleable enough to wriggle and squirm through the tiniest of spaces.

• ​ Darkling: ​Maggot pale skin, blind white eyes, and a mouth ringed with vibration sensitive tentacles.
    • ​ Ogre: ​A vast bulk of rubbery flesh that bends and contorts, flowing through cracks like black ooze.
    • ​ Wizened: ​A shrunken, coal dust covered figure, with long, dragging arms and grasping fingers.

Blessing: The tunnelgrub achieves an exceptional success on three successes when rolling Stealth or Larceny in situations where being able to squeeze through a narrow space would be of benefit.
    Flare: With the expenditure of a point of glamour the tunnelgrubs body becomes as pliable as rubber. They can squeeze through any opening that their head would fit through and impose their Wyrd rating as a penalty on any roll to establish or maintain a grapple on them.

Woodwoad
    He told me once that he can’t stand anything over his head that blocks out the sky. Says it makes him feel lost, like he can’t find his way. I’ve never seen him get lost, not even that time we were in the thickest part of the Hedge. He just looked around and up at the sky and went in a direction, an hour later and we were back on a well-worn trod.

The woodwoad is a wild and untamed thing. Left to her own devices, she prefers a solitary life surrounded by wooded areas, yet she can be convinced to live in more populated urban sprawls as long as she can stay on the streets. The Gentry create the woodwoad to tend to the wildest places of Arcadia. She might have simply trod paths to keep them usable or was forced to forge new paths or cut through dangerous overgrowth.

• ​ Darkling:​ The changeling is the colour of a night dappled forest, camouflaged with dark greys and greens.
    • ​ Elemental: ​Her skin is hard and calloused with a wooden texture. She is covered with creeping vines like thick underbrush.
    • ​ Wizened: The changeling is made up of different parts of a forest, she has brambly arms, light dappled hair, and thick trunks for legs.

Kith Blessing: ​A woodwoad who uses Animal Ken in a forest or similar setting achieves an exceptional success with three successes on the roll.
    Flare: Woodwoads do not just feel at home in the forest, they feel compelled to protect it as if every tree branch is their own limb. Every root their own toes. If a woodwoad spends at least an hour travelling through an area comprised mostly of trees they can spend a point of glamour to attune to the forest. The woodwoad becomes peripherally aware of things happening in that forest at a distance in miles equal to his Wyrd. If anything happens within that distance that poses a threat to the woodwoad, the forest or the woodwoads motley the woodwoad rolls Wits + Survival. On a success the woodwoad sees a glimpse of what the trees see and gains the Informed condition regarding the threat.

"The ego is not king of its own castle."

Very useful, thank you!

Comment

I don't think threads that exist as repositories for homebrew content can really be "necro'd" as such, so continuing the 2019 thread on this (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...th-conversions) would have been acceptable I think. But can't fault you for being extra cautious, and I might be wrong, too.

Reading through them, I'll give my thoughts on any I think could use some changes, comparing them to Inodiv's take as well. ^^ I've never seen the original playtest material of these, so I'm ignoring its existence completely; I don't think it matters much what the original source was at this point.

On general thing: I appreciared the way Ino gave the "activated" abilities a name, it's much more evocative than "flare". It is however easier to use as a term describing a category of abilities, so I shall use it to refer to the "activated abilities".

Originally posted by Strictura;n1404858
      [B
      Airtouched[/B]
      Blessing: When the Airtouched uses Stealth to leave no tracks achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
      Flare: An Airtouched never seems to touch the ground. Mortals think they are light on their feet, like a dancer, but behind the mask other Changelings see that the ground itself rejects their touch. He can spend a point of Glamour to turn these soft buoyant steps into exuberant leaps that carry him closer to the sky he can no longer quite reach. For the rest of the scene the distance the Airtouched can leap is multiplied by his Wyrd + 1 and he takes no damage from falling, no matter the distance. An Airtouched with the Seven League Leap Contract can travel seemingly impossible distances.
      Using stealth to "leave no tracks" seems like it may be a bit vague. Quite often leaving no tracks will only be one element of what you're trying to do with a Stealth roll, which then muddies the question of "does it apply here?" quite a bit. It's workable, but I prefer Ino's version here, as an Airtouched being able to acrobatics around easier seems more tightly connected to the theme than stealth.

Blightbent
      Paramedic said your lungs would look like fried scrapple if you hadn’t gotten your mask on. Me? Nah I’m fine. You’d be surprised how long I can hold my breath.

Blessing: When the Blightbent uses Survival to weather the effect of environmental hazards caused by toxins or similar sources achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
      Flare: The Blighbent absorbs toxins they inhale or ingest in the strange twisted organs which grew in response to their Keeper’s hellscape. The Blightbent can use an instant action and spend a point of glamour to exhale toxic smoke. He rolls Stamina + Survival + Wyrd against all enemies within melee range. They roll their Stamina + Wyrd to resist. If the Blightbent scores more successes the other character suffers the Sick Tilt.
      Considering the quote at the start, it's a bit odd that the Blessing offers no protection against breathing in superheated air. Toxins aren't very common I think, so perhaps add "to weather the effect of environmental hazards caused by toxins and similar sources, as well as either extreme cold or heat (pick one)" to make it fit with the quote, and show off that some Blightbent come from planes of burning sulfur, while other might come from seas ice-scourged seas of frozen sludge? ^^

For the Flare: Sick comes in a "mild" and "grave" version (both inside the same Tilt block), which one should be used here? Perhaps mild unless exceptional success?

Brewer
      Blessing: ​A Brewer achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Science skill roll that involves identifying, altering, or creating a liquid.
      Flare: The Brewer can spend a point of Glamour to alter the composition of any liquid which they can interact with. This may be as simple as pouring it from a vessel or as complicated as running it through an arcane laboratory. The Brewer rolls Intelligence + Science + Wyrd and chooses one of the properties from the list below. If the property calls for a resistance roll use the successes on the activation roll against the targets Stamina + Wyrd. Every time a person drinks the liquid the Brewer must reflexively spend another point of Glamour or the effect on the bottled liquid ends (though the effect on people who have already drunk it persists.)
      • Adder’s Kiss: The liquid carries a subtle poison and anyone who drinks it must succeed at a resistance roll or suffer the moderate version of the poisoned tilt or the sick tilt. If the Brewer achieved an exceptional success, they may choose to intensify this to a grave poison or the grave version of the sick tilt instead of the usual benefit.
      • Fogged Mind: Any drinker who fails a resistance roll is affected by the Drugged Tilt. The effect lasts for 10 – the victim’s Stamina + Resolve or the Brewer’s Wyrd in Hours, whichever is longer.
      • Cupids Tonic: The person who drinks this is affected by the Swooned Condition in regard to a specific individual chosen by the Brewer at the time of handling the liquid. If the person who drinks it is the person the Brewer nominated, they instead gain the Swooned Condition with the first person they see after they finish drinking.
      • Sleeping Draught: Anyone who drinks this brew and fails the resistance roll gains the Lethargic condition. If they already had it the effect worsens by -1. The Brewer may choose to intensify the effect by an additional -1 in place of the usual result of an exceptional success.

On an exceptional success the brewer may add one of the following conditions alongside the potions basic effect: Blinded, Deafened, Inspired or Steadfast. Negative conditions have a resistance roll the same as the potions base effect.
      I think the Flare is much too versatile. Making it either a potent alcohol or potent poison like Ino did seems like a pretty good power, without making it able to basically inflict any other Tilt anyone else in the motley can do with their kith, just with a different delivery method. The Blessing already covers the "making a great amount of varied liquids" part, there is no need to make the flare list so expansive I feel.

Gargantuan
      Blessing: ​When making an Intimidation dice roll that relies on physical strength or size the gargantuan achieves an exceptional success with three successes.
      Flare: Many gargantuan changelings have the Giant merit, though not all retained as much of their previous stature. In reality the gargantuan does still tower over the world but her mask tricks the world into thinking she does not. By spending a point of glamour the gargantuan forces reality to concede to her immensity. For the rest of the scene the gargantuans effective size increases by her Wyrd. She does not actually grow visibly taller to mortals.
      I don't dislike this one, but what does "effective size" do for you, exactly? Increase health? Make it harder/impossible for people to shift your weight? Does grappling you become impossible at some point since you'd only be able to sort of wrap your arms around the leg of a size 10 creature, which you "effectively" are? It's a bit unclear how hard this goes. ^^ Also it's unclear whether the gargantuan actually grows but just humans can't tell, or doesn't.

Illes
      Blessing: During the hours between sunset and sunrise the Illes achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Socialise rolls made to impress or capture attention. During the hours between sunrise and sunset the Illes achieves an exceptional success on three successes for any Socialise rolls made to illicit pity or to blend in unnoticed. If the Illes has the Striking Looks merit it is also affected by this change, by day it makes her unnaturally beautiful or imposing, and by night ugly or unremarkable in equally extreme ways.
      Flare: For a point of Glamour the Illes can focus her presence on a single person who can currently see her and intensify the effect of her dual nature. The Illes rolls Presence + Wyrd contested by the targets Composure + Wyrd. If the Illes has more successes, then the target suffers from a condition representative of her current appearance. During night-time hours they are affected by either the Swooned or Obsession conditions. In daylight they are affected by either the Spooked or Guilty conditions. If a character is still under the effects of a condition imposed by this ability when night falls or the sun rises, the next time they see the Illes it changes to a condition which matches the Illes current appearance. A Swooned character might become Guilty the next morning, or a Spooked character may grow Obsessed as night falls.
      I haven't been mentioning it when I think a Kith is good (most are!), but giving a reversed effect during the day is absolutely brilliant! I thought it was odd in Ino's version that you essentially lacked a Kith benefit more than half of the day... this is a really thematic and mechanically sound "fix" for that! ^^

Levinquick
      Blessing: ​When a Levinquick uses Streetwise to form an immediate first impression of a scene they get an exceptional success on three successes.
      Flare: As a reflexive action the levinquick can spend a point of glamour to add their Wyrd rating to their defence and multiply their speed by their Wyrd + 1. When using this ability their defence also applies to firearms attacks until the start of their next turn. They can spend another point of glamour at that time to maintain the defence and speed increases for another turn.
      Good Kith, but that last sentence is redundant. Since it's a reflexive action anyway, you can just repeat it at any time.

Manikin
      Blessing: ​Choose an additional speciality in one of the following skills: Computer, Crafts or Drive. When rolling a dice pool which benefits from that speciality the Manikin achieves an exceptional success on three successes. The Manikin can change this specialty as an extended action by observing someone making use of the new specialty and spending a point of Glamour. This change is permanent until changed again.
      Flare: The Manikin can spend a point of Glamour as a reaction when observing someone else to perfectly recreate their movements, speech, and mannerisms. When someone else succeeds at a dice roll the Manikin can note down the number of successes (up to her Wyrd + 1) and then add that number of successes to a dice roll using the same attribute and skill made within the same scene. If the Manikin would usually suffer an untrained penalty, she ignores it.
      Ignoring the untrained penalty and being able to get a specific amount of successes ahead of time is powerful, so I don't think the Manikin should get a roll on top of that. She's just replicating the action perfectly, she shouln't be improving upon it. Ino's version is essentially like that, and I prefer it for that reason.

In the fluff text it says that Manikins lack most human frailty, but we don't really see that in their powers. Maybe we could reflect that in their Blessing? "The Manikin adds half her Wyrd (rounded up) to any rolls to avoid falling unconscious (such as from having her rightmost health box filled with bashing or lethal damage) and achieves an exceptional success on such rolls with just three successes."
      On an exceptional success with such a roll, as a ST you could stop letting them roll for unconsciousness until they suffer another point of damage, or even clear their rightmost health box. So the blessing would sell "few human frailties" quite well. A bit more effects than usual (since it also adds dice), but unconscious rolls are more rare and can't be forced as an active tactic, so that's fine.

So all in all, very few remarks from me across the entire set! ^^ Really nice work, I like them quite a bit!

Comment

Why are the activated abilities called "Flares" instead of "Trickeries" as per the core book?

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          Why are the activated abilities called "Flares" instead of "Trickeries" as per the core book?
          I copy-pasted Bright One to create a template for the formatting and then didn't bother filling in the specific names of the Trickeries as you refer to them. The Bright One's is called "Flare."

Comment

So all in all, very few remarks from me across the entire set! ^^ Really nice work, I like them quite a bit![/QUOTE]
            Thank you Unahim. On most of these I kept the quotations, flavour text and example Seemings unchanged from the original play-test Kiths so in regards to mismatches between the mechanics and what is written (like the Manikin) that is why. A little rewording would solve that I am sure. I like your suggestions and I will take a second pass at those Kiths when I have some more free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictura View Post
              I copy-pasted Bright One to create a template for the formatting and then didn't bother filling in the specific names of the Trickeries as you refer to them. The Bright One's is called "Flare."
              Haha, amusing that it just happened to be a term that ended up working! I thought it was "Flare" because the Changeling is "Flaring" his nature up, letting his kith power out, etc. ^^

Originally posted by Strictura View Post
              Thank you Unahim. On most of these I kept the quotations, flavour text and example Seemings unchanged from the original play-test Kiths so in regards to mismatches between the mechanics and what is written (like the Manikin) that is why. A little rewording would solve that I am sure. I like your suggestions and I will take a second pass at those Kiths when I have some more free time.
              I imagined that was the case! ^^ I like most of those descriptions, so there's some value in tweaking the rules a bit to fit. Though you can also tweak the fluff, obviously. I'm pretty partial to the Manikin suggestion though, I'd definitely consider that one. ;D

Comment

Working...
              X