Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Feedback on my world building, Mill Number 404 (Freehold)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Feedback on my world building, Mill Number 404 (Freehold)

So I've got a player interested in Changeling the Lost as well as a couple of coworkers who are familiar with the game interested in playing. Today I'm doing character creation with one of them. But I wanted to get some feedback, criticism, and critiques on the Freehold they'll be working for.

What insight I am looking for:
    • If my Freehold is putting itself at too much risk with congregating in a specific location.
    • If my Freehold is putting itself at too much risk for allowing portaling to the Hedge from the building.
    • If there is anything that I am forgetting about the nature of Changelings/True Fae that I haven't accounted for.
    Missing Pieces:
    • Who would be a good Nursery Rhyme, Fairy Tale, or Folk lore character to be Spring's Sheriff?
    • Who would be a good Nursery Rhyme, Fairy Tale, or Folk lore character to be Summer's King/Queen?

Couple of things I've changed for my players:
    • I'm reworking some of the Courts to be less intense in the emotions, particularly Spring is less Sexual Desire and more just Frivolity and Winter is less Depression and more Emo preferring to harvest with Poetry Readings and Sad Ballads.
    • I'm leaning a lot more on the Keeper emulating Nursery Rhymes and Grimm Fairy Tales.
    Mill #404 Freehold (Based on Mill #5 in Lowell, MA)
    In the city of Lowell, MA; the Changelings who first arrived congregated in abandoned buildings in the area. For decades these individuals strove to build their community from the ground up. In recent years the Freehold purchased an entire mill building and turned it into a hipster mall. Antique shops, cafes, vintage thrift stores, etc...

Features:
    • The Mill's main floor is open to Mortals as well as Changelings. Doing this allows Changelings a bit more camouflage from the Huntsmen as well as keeps a steady flow of income and Glamour.
    • There are four access ways to the Hedge each guarded by one of the Courts, these lead to well traveled Trods and Hollows used by the Courts for private business.
    • Harvest Moon Theater - Autumn Court run movie theater, also used for event space.
    • Gingerbread Books - Winter Court run cafe/bookstore, also used for poetry readings and small open mic nights.
    • Maypole Games - Spring Court run game shop, sponsors many tournaments on site.
    • Heat Wave Tavern - Summer Court run tavern, also used for various bar games such as darts, arm wrestling, and pool.
    • Temporary housing for homeless Changelings.
    • Being part of the Freehold is equivalent of being part of a cooperative enterprise. All Changelings are expected to assist the community in someway. Even the most introverted Changelings are expected to pitch in where they can. This can range from helping with decorations for an event to making a monetary donation to the Freehold to being conscripted for war.
    Oath of the Freehold:
    I'm not sure if oaths are usually written out or have loopholes, but I thought it would be a good thing to have.
    • Cannot knowingly lead a Huntsman/True Fae/Loyalist into the Mill.
      • Loophole: If the Changeling is near death, this is waived.
    • Reaping in the Mill is strictly forbidden.
      • Loophole: If the Changeling is at Glamour deprivation.
    • Opening a portal to the Hedge is restricted to four doors protected by an individual Court each.
      • Loophole: If the Changeling is in pursuit by a Huntsman/True Fae/Loyalist they can create a Portal.
    The Courts
    Spring
    The Spring Court tends to be filled with a lot of people looking for escapism. They typically congregate around the book store and game store. They are the most social of the Courts and most likely to be seen wandering the mall.
    • The Spring Queen is Morgan LeFlay; a Darkling Chatelaine who acted as a party planner for her Keeper. When she reigns the Mill becomes inundated with a variety of parties; Ren Faire Weekend, LARPing Banquets, Raves, and Concerts. Morgan is more laid back than the other monarchs and typically spends her reign making sure everyone is cared for. When war comes she favors finding a way to broker peace or truces. This results in Spring's reign being mostly universally liked, until the constant partying grows stale.
    • I am still working on who could be the Spring Sheriff. Before I was looking at the Candlestick from Jack be nimble, Jack be quick. The Spring Sheriff is supposed to be the most lax Sheriff.
    Summer
    The Summer Court tends to be filled with a lot of competitive individuals. They typically congregate around the bar and game stores. They are the most aggressive of the Courts and tend to be always looking to show how good they are.
    • Summer's King/Queen is still up in the air. At this point I'm looking at it being a Queen to make the Courts diverse. But I have the thought that maybe it should be someone who is asexual. Summer should be the only Court that actively seeks out war and conflict.
    • The Summer Sheriff is Scarlet, Darkling Hunterheart. Scarlet is reminiscent of Red Riding Hood except that she has learned how to hunt what stalks the woods. She has a feud with the Winter Sheriff Bigby, who chased her back in Arcadia. She likes to pick fights with other Lost, but tries to keep professional as much as possible. Though she does have a habit of provoking Changelings into fighting if she hasn't had a conflict to resolve in a while.
    Autumn
    • The Autumn King is Jack Carver, a Darkling Bright One who looks like a scarecrow with a jack-o-lantern for his head. Jack is really into Halloween and works with Morgan LeFlay to get the Halloween Costume Party. He also organizes the Haunted House to harvest fear from Mortals. He also organizes the telling of ghost stories. When war comes he favors psychological warfare.
    • The Autumn Sheriff is Bigby Wolf, a Beast Gristlegrinder who is representative of the Big Bad Wolf. He has a feud with Scarlett the Spring Sheriff who he chased when he was in Arcadia. He loves to threaten new comers and puts a lot of people on edge. Threats of eating other Changelings if they do anything illegal are constant. Though rumor is he's never fully digested a person since his time in Arcadia.
    Winter
    • The Winter King is "Crooked Old Man", a Wizened Notary who keeps to the shadows. No one outside of the Winter Court's upper echelon and the Summer King/Queen and Spring Queen know his identity. I don't know what he does normally, but he does run a criminal network in mortal and changeling affairs. He likes to keep paranoia high during his reign. His favored tactics are those reminiscent of the Cold War. His reign is the least enjoyed by the majority of Changelings outside his court.
    • The Winter Sheriff is Pan, Darkling Helldiver. Pan is a living shadow who is reminiscent of Peter Pan's shadow from the story. He tends to hide in the shadows ease dropping on the conversations of other changelings. Normally he is an information broker who will gladly sell what he finds out, but when he's sheriff he reports directly to the Crooked Old Man.
    Please let me know what you think.

I like it! With some of your characters, I get a definite "Fables" kind of vibe, and I like that. I once debated adding some stuff from that series into the setting, perhaps with the Homelands existing deep in the Hedge. The Fables themselves would be something new, neither Gentry nor Hobgoblin, but more powerful than a mortal. I actually began working on a character, an alternate Dorothy, who served Queen Ozma in a Dystopian Oz, based on Stalinist Russia, though instead of gulags, they typically just "reeducated" dissidents after forcing them to drink from the Fountain of Forgetfulness, Ozma being a sweet kind of tyrant.
    Last edited by Van Owen; 10-16-2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
      Autumn The Autumn King is Jack Carver, a Darkling Bright One who looks like a scarecrow with a jack-o-lantern for his head. Jack is really into Halloween and works with Morgan LeFlay to get the Halloween Costume Party. He also organizes the Haunted House to harvest fear from Mortals. He also organizes the telling of ghost stories. When war comes he favors psychological warfare.[*]The Autumn Sheriff is Bigby Wolf, a Beast Gristlegrinder who is representative of the Big Bad Wolf. He has a feud with Scarlett the Spring Sheriff who he chased when he was in Arcadia. He loves to threaten new comers and puts a lot of people on edge. Threats of eating other Changelings if they do anything illegal are constant. Though rumor is he's never fully digested a person since his time in Arcadia.
      I feel like the Autumn King could use a little more work, as he should embody some element of Fear, beyond that of a few mortals. Right now, you actually have the Winter monarch doing rather more of that with the paranoia, but Winter's thing is loss and sadness, and there is nothing mentioned mentioned of either.

The constant threats of eating offenders reminds me of one of my partner's characters. She's an Aufhocker, a shapeshifter from German folklore that makes a Uratha in death rage look like an angry puppy, so her threats are taken seriously. Even my 5 Title Gentry makes a point of not ending up on Anya's bad side, particularly as she dislikes all the Fae on principle. (They used to be in the habit of stealing Aufhocker young, until the species nearly became extinct)
      Last edited by Van Owen; 10-16-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X