Novel recommendation: Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novel recommendation: Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand

I wanted to let everyone know about the most Changeling piece of fiction I've read in a long time. Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand is a novella published in 2015. It won the Shirley Jackson award for best novella that year,

A brief, non-spoilery description: Decades ago, the British folk rock group Windhollow Faire released Wylding Hall, their second and final album. Now a filmmaker is interviewing the surviving members and others for a documentary about the fateful summer it was recorded, and subsequent disappearance of the band's lead singer.

I found this novella to be ideal inspiration for Changeling. Some have interpreted it as a ghost story, but I saw it as a fairy tale. I cannot recommend it highly enough for fans of Changeling: the Lost.

Neat, I'll check it out. ^^

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik is my most recent Changeling-esque read! It has pretty great "keeping your word/importance of your word" moments from a Fae perspective, and gives a believable glimpse in how the mentality of a fae race might differ from humans. It also has a character who effectively goes through a Durance.

There is a Keeper-esque character, but ultimately there are of course big differences between it and the True Fae of CtL, but it is great inspiration nonetheless.

Comment

Definitely will have a look at it! I might also recommend "War of the Flowers" by Tad Williams, and "Faerie Tale" by Raymond E Feist, for other dark fantasy involving the Fae, but with a different take.

Comment

I'll definitely have to check out Wyldling Hall when I get the chance.

Another book I really like as an inspiration for Changeling the Lost is Forgotten Gods by S.B. Stewart-Laingand Michael J. Chernicoff. For those unaware, it's an alternate history story taking place in 1745 Scotland. A group of Scottish rebels, fearing the British will crush them, decide to call on the Fair Folk for help and the consequences of their actions.

Comment

Working...
        X