Willy Wonka as a Changeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy Wonka as a Changeling

There is a good possibility of my being able to take part in a new Chronicle and I was hit with a bit of inspiration from a childhood favorite of mine coming on:

I want to try to make what is essentially Willy Wonka as a changeling, whimsical candy maker with an intimidating edge to him who seems to produce the impossible. The movie even directly references the Fey in the early movie with the tinker reciting the opening to The Fairies by William Allingham.

The issue I'm having is how to put it into the specifics, I'm not the most familiar with 2E and was wondering if I could get some help in designing him.

Thank you in advance if you can help.

To get the obvious out of the way right off the bat: Wizened is probably going to be your best bet for picking a seeming that fits the concept; taking Crown as your secondary Regalia will match reasonably well with the overlap of "intimidating air" and "person in charge." A good chunk of Jewels Contracts are made to help with tinkerer characters.

If your game is using the Seasonal Courts and you don't intend to have the character be courtless, Autumn or Spring will likely suit him (which one depends, of course, on which way you intend to lean the concept between the axes of fear-powered/desire-powered and sorcerer/socialite).

An entitlement (from Oak, Ash, and Thorn, the Companion book for Changeling 2e) may be helpful for some of the larger-scale aspects of Wonka (big factory, brand recognition, reclusive), though it might be wise to keep such a development for later on rather than having to dump four Merit dots into having qualified for a post whose benefits are largely custom-made and unlocked as you raise your Wyrd.

Otherwise, Merits like Hollow and Workshop will help dramatically, as will knowing how the character relates to mortal life (whether it's related to their old one or a whole new living situation). Having your starting Touchstone(s) figured out will be important, since they're one of the few ways to heal Clarity damage and that's important early on. (Speaking of which, Wonka is definitely a model that warrants investing in Wits and Composure to emulate.)

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Otherwise, Merits like Hollow and Workshop will help dramatically, as will knowing how the character relates to mortal life (whether it's related to their old one or a whole new living situation). Having your starting Touchstone(s) figured out will be important, since they're one of the few ways to heal Clarity damage and that's important early on. (Speaking of which, Wonka is definitely a model that warrants investing in Wits and Composure to emulate.)
      I had an idea, what if I had Mr. Wilkinson, the guy who pretended to be Slugworth, be Wonka's fetch and have him be a Touchstone?

Comment

All right, I've got a good idea of how I want to develop him but I'm having trouble actually selecting a fitting Kith for him. I'll put in what I have so far.

He had forgotten just how long he had been trapped there, under the thumb of his keeper. Always appearing as a child, always with a poor soul forced to play the role of parent in tow, and always craving childish things like a twisted caricature of a spoiled child. If they didn't get what they want they'd throw a tantrum, followed by punishment for the unfortunate who upset them. He slaved away in a hellish kitchen to create treats to feed the childlike monster's ravenous hunger, never able to actually satisfy them.

Eventually he was able to gain a slim ray of hope in the form of a promise, if he were able to create a dish that left his keeper speechless, he would be free to go. Over what seemed like years he worked and worked, created treat after treat, all were mocked and failed to elicit silence. After these countless failures he was barely able to keep going, until he remembered why he loved making candy in the first place.

He poured himself into the creation of a final treat, a last effort before he could go on no longer. After countless months of work he created a treat...

A single bar of chocolate, born from the depths of his heart.

The nature of this candy was incomprehensible to his keeper, and after consumption, he took his chance and fled his keepers realm while they stood in stunned silence.

If you have any suggestions for how to change this for a better origin let me know.

Comment

I suspect he has the 'Architect of Confectionery' entitlement or something. The main plot of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was him trying to find someone worthy to pass on his title to.

Comment

I can't see Willy Wonka as anything but a True Fae, myself!

He has an impossibly large and multi-floored factory as his arcadian domain, a bunch of oompa-loompa hobgoblins, and a whole bunch of children who end up in his realm leave again... changed. Trying to find a successor might seem un-True Fae like, but that's also what Sheogorath does in the Oblivion DLC "The Shivering Isles", and he's a Keeper if ever there was one. ^^

Back to the topic at hand: For Kith, why not "Artist"? Works perfectly. Food is his art.

Comment

Working...
            X