Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changeling Children: How should future supplements deal with this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeling Children: How should future supplements deal with this?

There seems to have been recent discussion about what Changeling children might be like. Looking at the Fae-Touched I've been brainstorming some ideas. Most of these are just one quick idea that could be combined with others.
    • Mein without a Mask: Maybe Changeling Children don't have a mask from the Wyrd instead having a more human Mein that is akin to a Stigmatic's Permanent Glitch. For instance a Fire Elemental might have a daughter who has fiery red hair and red eyes.
    • Strong Sealing: Perhaps these children can seal without limitation, even True Fae.
    • Cold Iron Sensitivity: Perhaps these children have the bane of Iron.
    • Cold Iron Immunity: Perhaps these children are unaffected by cold iron.
    • Contracts with a Price: Maybe the Children can use contracts, but instead of having Loopholes they have Catches/Drawbacks.
    • Glamour: Maybe children don't have access to Glamour or perhaps they can only get it from their parents.
    • Touchstone: Maybe these children are always considered a Touchstone and have some sort of special property because of that.
    • Debt Manipulation: Maybe these children can affect how Goblin debt accrues, possibly acting as a buffer for their parent.
    My general goal with Changeling children is that they should feel different from Fae-Touch and Changelings. But they should have a sense of being the rock for a Changeling, someone whom the Changeling is attached to at a level that not even the True Fae can destroy.

What are your thoughts?

Why would Changling Children be mechanically different?

Comment

You mean children of the Lost and mortals, not Lost children.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

I mean technically at could be the children of Lost and other Lost, or Lost and werewolves, or Lost and... et cetera.

Comment

If you have two changelings of different Seemings and Kiths, does the child come out as a combination?

Comment

Originally posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
            If you have two changelings of different Seemings and Kiths, does the child come out as a combination?
            Does the child even come out as a changeling? That's far from guaranteed. For all we know it'd be a mostly human child with some Changeling-esque traits, kinda like Fae-Touched.
            The child hasn't gone through any of the processes that turns a human into a changeling so I really don't think the child would become a changeling in turn, nor have a Seeming or Kith.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Yeah, if two Changelings had a child I'd probably rule that they counted as Fae-touched, with maybe a slight tweak but I'm not sure of that. Assuming, of course, that the changes made to them aren't extensive enough to make procreation nigh impossible, and even then I think two Lost only have a slightly higher chance of conceiving than two kindred.

Even if it was Changeling+human I don't think I'd make them anything more than a Fae-touched. It already represents 'faerie infkuence without going to Arcadia, why invent the wheel'.

But that doesn't mean they have to be standard Fae-touched, by giving them a Merit or two you could have all sorts of fun. Removing the mask of Changelings that they can see? Some human supernatural power merit? The ability to transport entire rooms into the Hedge? You could write up whatever you want and just add the requirement 'at least one parent was a Changeling at conception'.

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

I don't think Changelings should be able to have children until they fuse with their fetch.

Connected to this idea, I think it would be interesting for some changelings to have a Lost Boys template, similar to Summer Time Sam. That is, they don't age and are trapped in the form of a child.

Comment

Drawing on the ideas expressed in Stephen King's It and the series Something is Killing the Children, I could easily see Changeling Child or one with the Lost Boy template having the abilities suggested by DontEatRawHagis, because of children's ability to believe in monsters, boogiemen, magic, and Santa Clause.

Comment

I had an idea for children of Changelings a while back, calling them Wild Child(ren for plural). A Wild Child has two states, Unrealized and Woken. An Unrealized Wild Child is given access to a Seeming blessing and curse, though instead of affecting Clarity it affects Integrity, though they’re not entirely aware of their Seeming Blessing being anything other than coincidences or luck (and as such they can be unreliable). However, unique to fae beings (which they do count as), they cannot innately see past the Mask, even their own. This only changes when they become Woken.

Attracting the attention of another fae who teaches them ways of the fae, or entering the Hedge enough times, helps them become Woken, at which point their fae mien and Mask properly establishes itself and they can start learning Contracts (their associated Seeming lets them learn appropriate Seeming bonuses like a Changeling). When Woken a Wild Child can see past the Mask, but hazily, and their own mask hides their mien auch that fae can have a hard time noticing them. Wild Children can drop their Mask, but doing so leaves a trail to find them for even longer than a changeling would have.

That’s all I have got for the Wild Children and I doubt that Onyxpath will use those ideas, but hopefully Onyxpath creates something interesting all the same.

...I would love for something like this to be in there, but I fear that by posting this it’ll be assured not because of fears of copyright and plagiarism. Le bleh...
                    Last edited by Taidragon; 10-08-2020, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I think the topic of children going through horrifying abuse, maybe people can take this issue with more taste. And the Wyrd doesn’t give a shit about your age. You could try to port the innocent rules from first edition.

Comment

I agree that Changeling children would basically use the rules for Fae-Touched but with Merits representing the Seeming or Kith ancestry. I don't think they should actually have any Seeming, Kith or Mask/Mien. Physically, it's the power of Arcadia, or at the very least the Hedge, that allows human bodies to change. Psychologically, the Durance is a core aspect of a changeling that any child would lack.
                        That would also keep things simple. Have a generic minor template for Changeling-related humans, but with extra options to customize them.

I would like also to point out that, despite all the original lore and fluff that WhiteWolf/OnyxPath creates, the core themes of any major and minor splat are always derived from literature, common tropes, myth archetypes etc. The designers usually perform extensive research on the "source material". I don't have enough culture myself, but I have no doubt that some common staples can be found about Fae children.
                        So, the answer to the OP's question probably depends on what are the major themes about Fae children in literature.

Comment

moonwhisper I am of the opposite mind. These are the direct children of people who have irreversibly been made fae, mind and soul. Whether or not they have a human parent in the mix the child is going to have a much stronger fae inheritance than a Fae Touched is going to ever get without significant outside interference. This is especially in mind when you look at the children of the other splats, who far more often than not have dramatic inheritances as a result. While having merits to represent aspects of them is a fine method, basing them off Fae Touched feels like missing the point of the exercise when they have two completely different sources of empowerment.

What fae children media would you draw from? Genuinely curious.
                          Last edited by Taidragon; 10-08-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                            I think the topic of children going through horrifying abuse, maybe people can take this issue with more taste. And the Wyrd doesn’t give a shit about your age. You could try to port the innocent rules from first edition.
                            The original post makes it pretty clear that this is children born to Changeling parents, specifically the bit about wanting to make them different from both fae-touched and Changelings.

Changelings made from people who were kidnapped and potentially escaped as children should be normal Changelings, just with an additional host of issues and possibly missing some of those normally possessed by other Changelings,

Now, of course, a Changeling could always try selling their child to their Keeper in exchange for continued freedom. Possibly one of the biggest potential Clarity breaking points you can think of, but at least your kid will also be a Changeling!

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

Wait Lost aren’t sterile in 2nd edition?

Comment

Working...
                              X