Frailty Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frailty Ideas

I'm trying to create a list of frailties - both taboos and banes - for my players to choose from when they need to. Things like getting migraines over the sound of bells or not being able to enter a home uninvited. Does anyone have any ideas to add? I'll put my completed lists here once I've added a few more.

My horror roleplaying blog with a strong focus on World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu can be found here: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com.au/

taboos - has to stop and count every grain of rice spilled in front of them. can't use magic on someone who is wearing their clothes inside out. can't turn down dare. must paint every red door black. must always bum a smoke if asked politely. can't stop when the bass drops.

banes - the sound of their true name. true love's kiss. a bundle of rowan berries. a switch of willow wood. salt thrown over the left should. the hamsa. the sound of a woman crying.

Comment

A few other Taboos: Must complete three favors for someone who speaks their mortal name to them, cannot cross a threshold if the door possesses ornamentation, must flee the presence of someone who offers a gift to them, is compelled to pinch anyone they meet who does not wear green on St. Patrick’s Day(a more silly one admittedly)
      Last edited by Korogra; 11-11-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Would it be possible to make a frailty like this:

Drinking Caffeinated beverages delivers the same effects to the changeling as being drunk on hard liquor

or would it just have to be

Taboo: can't consume caffeine

or

Bane: Caffeine

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Drinking Caffeinated beverages delivers the same effects to the changeling as being drunk on hard liquor

or

I would say it s possible, but the drunkeness would be an entirely psychosomatic effect, and then it would trigger only if the changeling know or believe he is drinking caffeine

Comment

or

It's definitely a taboo since a bane would lead to the changeling taking direct damage when drinking the coffee rather than getting drunk off of it (as well as taking damage by someone just spilling coffee on them).

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
            I would say it s possible, but the drunkeness would be an entirely psychosomatic effect, and then it would trigger only if the changeling know or believe he is drinking caffeine
            Why would it be psychosomatic when it's a wholly mystical effect? Frailties aren't mental hangups; they're supernaturally imposed weaknesses.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

It's definitely a taboo since a bane would lead to the changeling taking direct damage when drinking the coffee rather than getting drunk off of it (as well as taking damage by someone just spilling coffee on them).

Why would it be psychosomatic when it's a wholly mystical effect? Frailties aren't mental hangups; they're supernaturally imposed weaknesses.
              Because the core book says that "A taboo is either a compulsion or a behavioral restriction.", so i don t think that they could change a changeling physiology.

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                Because the core book says that "A taboo is either a compulsion or a behavioral restriction.", so i don t think that they could change a changeling physiology.
                Acting drunk is a type of behaviour. What I'm questioning is the psychosomatic part of it. A changeling who can't enter doors marked with holly should still be compelled to stay out regardless of whether they know the holly is there or not.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Acting drunk is a type of behaviour. What I'm questioning is the psychosomatic part of it. A changeling who can't enter doors marked with holly should still be compelled to stay out regardless of whether they know the holly is there or not.
                  Yeah, using the word "psychosomatic" i meant mainly that the changeling would act drunk and not be physically drunk.
                  For the "he must know/believe" part it s only a guess, in fact i don t know if a taboo requires a changelinng to recognize it.
                  Do you have seen some example in 2ed or 1ed books?

Comment

What is stopping the frailty from making the changeling physically drunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Vintervalpen View Post
                      What is stopping the frailty from making the changeling physically drunk?
                      The quote i used, "A taboo is either a compulsion or a behavioral restriction.", comes directly from the core book.
                      The other option for frailties, Banes, causes physical damage instead.
                      You could rule that the dice malus you get when acting against a frailty could assume the form of a physical drunkeness, but it s a bit homeruled
                      Last edited by Neos01; 11-13-2020, 03:05 AM.

Comment

What practical difference is there between being compelled to act drunk and being physiologically drunk? In the latter case you could make an argument about interactions with other substances or diseases causing medical complications, but since there's no actual alcohol in the body many such interactions can't take place.

Comment

By the way, for other ideas:
                          -specific numbers (es cannot use items in group of 3, or cannot enter in the house with 13 as a civic number, damaged by a number 8 pool ball)
                          -pepper or other spices
                          -some animal species (as a bane, or a taboo if for example you must flee on sight from a cat)
                          -enraged if someone looks directly at your face
                          -the sound of a kind of musical instrument
                          -gold
                          -jade
                          -compelled to eat a certain kind of food
                          Last edited by Neos01; 11-13-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

What practical difference is there between being compelled to act drunk and being physiologically drunk? In the latter case you could make an argument about interactions with other substances or diseases causing medical complications, but since there's no actual alcohol in the body many such interactions can't take place.

I mean, the difference may or may not matter because the reason behind it thematically was that the guy is a big Spider/Tarantula Ogre, so I wanted to incorporate that cool little thing about spiders getting drunk on caffeine

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I mean, the difference may or may not matter because the reason behind it thematically was that the guy is a big Spider/Tarantula Ogre, so I wanted to incorporate that cool little thing about spiders getting drunk on caffeine
                              If the alchool drunkeness is swapped with the caffeine drunkeness it could only be a cool perk, if you need game rules you could use a persistent condition

Comment

Working...
                              X