Kith & Kin Preview up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kith & Kin Preview up

With two new kiths! The Absinthial and the Spiegelbild.

http://theonyxpath.com/changeling-th...d-kin-preview/

EDIT: So looking them over, the Absinthial appears to be a new take on the old Brewer kith...and I will say that "Absinthial" is definitely a more flavorful name.

Spiegelbild is supposed represent a mirror, but what distinguishes it from the Mirrorskin is, while the former is supposed to be about mirrors-that-recreate-the-image-before-them (and therefore their role as masters of disguise), here this kith's chosen metaphor with mirrors is revealing all of the flaws of a person, making their role as investigators but mostly compelled to tell the truth. Also, this one leans a lot more into the Mirror from Snow White more, which is always a delight.
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 11-26-2020, 02:47 PM.

Spiegelbild doesn’t say if you leave from the mirror you entered or the one you’re using and if the answer’s supposed to be clear from something else it isn’t to me.

Comment

i am over the moon at the new take on the old "brewer" kith. the 1e take on it ... was problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
        Spiegelbild doesn’t say if you leave from the mirror you entered or the one you’re using and if the answer’s supposed to be clear from something else it isn’t to me.
        You enter mirror space for the scene. You can take an instant action to project your senses through any mirror whose location you know. When the scene ends you return to non-mirror space — "return" typical entailing a trip backward — or possibly end up stuck in mirror space if you rolled any dramatic failures while using the power. There is nothing to suggest you otherwise leave at all.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I am excited about the new Kin and Kith book coming out. It will be interesting to see if they include fae-blooded characters and perhaps lost-boy (Changelings trapped in eternal childhood) in it.

Comment

I am hoping we will see some of the fan-made kiths

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
              You enter mirror space for the scene. You can take an instant action to project your senses through any mirror whose location you know. When the scene ends you return to non-mirror space — "return" typical entailing a trip backward — or possibly end up stuck in mirror space if you rolled any dramatic failures while using the power. There is nothing to suggest you otherwise leave at all.
              Thanks for paraphrasing the power? I have no idea what your conclusion is supposed to be if you made one at all.

Comment

Thanks for paraphrasing the power? I have no idea what your conclusion is supposed to be if you made one at all.
                I think that you enter physically in the mirror and at the end of the scene you exit from the same mirror, but i agree it s not very clear

Comment

By the same token, I have no idea what your point of confusion was at all. It's a power that lets you go into a mirror and engage in telepresence and come back out. It makes about as much sense to wonder where you "leave" as it does to wonder where Auspex 5 "drops" you in Vampire — the basic nature of the power is that your starting point is your ending point unless something's fucked up.

Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    By the same token, I have no idea what your point of confusion was at all. It's a power that lets you go into a mirror and engage in telepresence and come back out. It makes about as much sense to wonder where you "leave" as it does to wonder where Auspex 5 "drops" you in Vampire — the basic nature of the power is that your starting point is your ending point unless something's fucked up.
                    While I agree with your conclusion as the most probable intended reading, do consider that "returning" from one realm does not always mean returning to the exact location in that realm; especially not when other potential points of access has been brought up in the power. When you return from the Shadow, for example, you tend to return to the corresponding material location rather than the location from which you entered the Shadow in the first place. What's to say you don't return from mirror space through the mirror you're looking through rather than the one you entered and is not necessarily nearby anymore since mirror space is a space which can be navigated (as made obvious through other powers that deals with it and straight up says it's a location in the Hedge)? I mean, one of the most iconic powers that deal with mirror space, the Mirror Walk Contract, uses mirror space as a means of transportation between mirrors.
                    Now, as I said, I don't find it to be likely to be how Spiegelbild is supposed to work, but the wording is somewhat ambiguous. I hope it's made a little bit clearer in the actual book considering that ambiguous wordings is one of Onyx Path's largest weaknesses. Having proofreaders and playtesters that did not work on the book (and thus do not already know how things are supposed to work and make them overlook unclear explanations) would go a long way to alleviate this frustrating trend.

The basic nature of Auspex 5 is that you project something away from your body. The only way to read "return" in such a case is to the actual body. Even if you do fuck up, there is no other possible ending point (unless you mean death by staying away from the body for too long). Not only is this comparison completely inappropriate because it's not how Mirror, Mirror works at all, it's also a bad comparison because the text does actually explicitly state that any returning involved in it is to the vampire's body.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Does anyone dare make a guesstimate of when the book will be ready for release? I am so hyped about this!

Comment

I love how the Absinthial can make their enemies trip out on the Absinthial's own fantasies, it both art form amd weapon to defend themselves with. I wonder how much control does the Absinthial have over the visions it triggers, like could it send a message, but tell a tell story with it?

I'll also note that the Absinthial could use its own blood, sweat, and tears in anything it brews to as a fae ingradient so that makes getting an exceptional success on brewing drinks (including poisons and medicines you drink) get exceptional success easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                          I'll also note that the Absinthial could use its own blood, sweat, and tears in anything it brews to as a fae ingradient so that makes getting an exceptional success on brewing drinks (including poisons and medicines you drink) get exceptional success easier.
                          That is a very generous interpretation of 'when brewing a drink' and I am not sure I would use it.

Comment

Yeah, "drink" doesn't usually mean anything other than beverages (and water). Medicines and poisons (excluding those that are also beverages, like medicinal tea or alcohol) are also distinctly outside the scope of the Kith's themes.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Re: Absinthial

Should the Kith's activated power also sap away a point of willpower from the target on activation? It's a once-per-scene ability and using it on someone and them resolving it immediately because their WP pool is full would be kinda sucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X