Elder Fae characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Fae characters?

I know that Chronicles of Darkness is supposed to give the players a great deal of freedom and flexibility in using and introducing characters of myths. However, is there any chance some such characters as high wyrd changelings?

For example, I really enjoyed the Changeling part of the Dark Ages 2 Arthurian chronicles and am intrigued by the character of Mordred. I would enjoy seeing him returned as a changeling in a modern Changeling Chronicle focused on U.K such as a Darkling Soldier. I would also like to see Merlin and Morgana le Fey as High wyrd, high mantle changelings of the Autumn court.

Other high wyrd characters I might like to see in a chronicle that focused on Britain include

Queen Titania as the founder of the Spring court.

Puck of the Spring Court

Black Annis of the Winter Court

Alice Liddell of the Spring Court

Comment

Why don't you just make these characters? I am not sure exactly what you are looking for here?

Comment

I am hoping that the book designers can introduce folklore and mythology that your average player is not aware of. Plus, maybe aspects of the historical figures life that most people might not know about.

Comment

I can't see the current Onyx Path folks writing such a thing given the emphasis on more toolbox type stuff for 2nd edition products.

However, it could be something great to put up on Storyteller's Vault...

Comment

Originally posted by Vintervalpen View Post
            Why don't you just make these characters?
            I do plan to write some of these characters. And even turn them in to see if they might be put in a book like perhaps epic changeling book. But I am also hoping people could give some references for inspiration.

Comment

Here is what I am envisioning, right now. Mordred was spirited away by a True Fae representing Alator, Albriox, and Mars; the Celtic/Roman gods of war and made one of his knights. Mordred escaped, and, as he had during his days as a Black Knight hunter, dedicated himself to protecting mortals from the supernatural. Not limited to True Fae, loyalists, and racketeers, but also vampires, Pure werewolves. He is also a member of the Winter Court(I have regarded martyrs, and tragic misunderstood heroes as quite common in the Silent Arrow). Ironically, because Thomas Mallory’s, Le Morte D’Arthur, is the most popular of the Arthurian cycles, Mordred if often treated with contempt, hatred, and disgust by the people he tries to help. Despite this, he has protected the British Isles with a quiet resolve.

Mordred is a Wyrd 10 changeling…. And a darkling at that level is similar to a Tithed One(Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgement) in my mind. He flows like liquid shadow, his attacks flowing around an opponent’s defenses, and he is as strong as a trod troll.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Comment

Merlin is canonically a Mage, but of the faerie path.

Have you read Equinox Road? That's definitely the best source book on ideas for high Wyrd endgame fae, though it's still very much rooted in 1e.

I've personally run Titania and Oberon as true fae, and even pick/the pan as such (though his origin as a changeling is well known to the Autumn Court nearby). The big question really is.. how did they survive?

For example, one of my PCs is the Scarecrow from Batman, who is also the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz, and also Ichabod Crane of sleepy hollow. I had to do math and fudging to figure out how he escaped Arcadia in the early 1800s and survived to modern days without an Entitlement that grants immortality. Remember, even the oldest and wyrdest Changelings are.. what, about 300 years old, maybe 400 if their Durance was time skewed, unless they used an Eldritch Entitlement or other Wyrd shit to live longer?

I'd personally look at equinox road and adapt the high Wyrd seeming and kith benefits as high Wyrd locked Merits. I'd also create various goblin fruits that extend lifespan that are obviously highly prized. I'd again also look at the idea that former Changelings can become true fae (my puck/pan was a little British baby names Peter stolen away to Neverland and not only never grew up but retroactively exists for millenia before his mortal birth).

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                  Merlin is canonically a Mage, but of the faerie path.

Have you read Equinox Road? That's definitely the best source book on ideas for high Wyrd endgame fae, though it's still very much rooted in 1e.

I've personally run Titania and Oberon as true fae,
                  Which Mage the Awakening can I find out about Merlin? I have read Equinox Road, but as you mentioned it is for 1e and we have seen some major changes between the two editions. I agree that Oberon should be a True Fae, but I actually want to make Titania one of the changelings he had created.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post

Which Mage the Awakening can I find out about Merlin? I have read Equinox Road, but as you mentioned it is for 1e and we have seen some major changes between the two editions. I agree that Oberon should be a True Fae, but I actually want to make Titania one of the changelings he had created.
                    I'll see if I can find the post where Dave list off all the books, but Merlin is scatter all throughout Mage 1e. There's no one place, but little hints in like nine different places

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                      I'll see if I can find the post where Dave list off all the books, but Merlin is scatter all throughout Mage 1e. There's no one place, but little hints in like nine different places
                      Interesting. Well is does make sense to me that King Arthur's court would be made up of vampires, mages, werewolves, and changelings.

Comment

For more on my ideas for Titania and Oberon, I am leading to Oberon originally being the True Fae, Finvarra, King of the Doaine Sidhe of Western Ireland associated with good harvest, chess masters, strong horses, and even lord of the dead in some legends. One of the concepts I really enjoy in Changeling: The Lost is how the True Fae adapt to the different eras and changes in pop culture. I see Finvarra taking on the title/mantle of King Oberon, because of the popularity of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream." Though, admittedly, in the original legends, Oberon was a small dwarf.

As for Titania, Finvarra is said to have abducted many mortal women to have affairs with. Titania was one such women, who became a member of the fairest seeming. When she escaped, she was the woman who made the bargain with spring to become it's monarch in exchange for her child.

I want to give Titania the Dear Heart Kith, but am what for the Kith and Kin book to come out to see what's equivalent is.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                          Collated them in a different thread the last time the question came up.

Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                            Here is what I am envisioning, right now. Mordred was spirited away by a True Fae representing Alator, Albriox, and Mars; the Celtic/Roman gods of war and made one of his knights. Mordred escaped, and, as he had during his days as a Black Knight hunter, dedicated himself to protecting mortals from the supernatural. Not limited to True Fae, loyalists, and racketeers, but also vampires, Pure werewolves. He is also a member of the Winter Court(I have regarded martyrs, and tragic misunderstood heroes as quite common in the Silent Arrow). Ironically, because Thomas Mallory’s, Le Morte D’Arthur, is the most popular of the Arthurian cycles, Mordred if often treated with contempt, hatred, and disgust by the people he tries to help. Despite this, he has protected the British Isles with a quiet resolve.

Mordred is a Wyrd 10 changeling…. And a darkling at that level is similar to a Tithed One(Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgement) in my mind. He flows like liquid shadow, his attacks flowing around an opponent’s defenses, and he is as strong as a trod troll.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
                            The main question is Camlann. He's got a bit a bloody history, so is repentent? Or is Mordred innocent, and was his fetch guilty of his supposed crimes?

Comment

Originally posted by Tzauri View Post

The main question is Camlann. He's got a bit a bloody history, so is repentent? Or is Mordred innocent, and was his fetch guilty of his supposed crimes?
                              My vision is that Camlann was totally invented by Thomas Mallory for his Le Morte D' Arthur. As such, Mordred is the poster boy for misunderstood hero. Even as Mordred has spent the last 1,500 years protecting the British Isles, he has been demonized as a bratty and selfish villain. People envision Arthur rising up from his sleep to protect Britain, while it is actually Mordred who has been protecting the people from vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and True Fae.

Comment

Working...
                              X