Epic Changeling Chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Changeling Chronicle

I am currently designing seeming evolutions for an epic Changeling chronicles and would like to hear people thoughts.

Here is my idea for the fairest seeming evolution.

Fairy folklore often describes the beauty of the fae being so great that it can drive mortals to madness. The Slavic Samodiva was said to be so beautiful that men would fall instantly in love and women would take their lives upon seeing such beauty. Selkies, Leanan-Sidhe, the Russian Rusalka, were also said to inspire such passions. Though Junji Ito’s, Tomie, was another major source of inspiration.

I wanted to explore two themes. The first is that as the fairest’s wyrd rises, The fairest becomes more and more beautiful. However, they become very frustrated as their inner qualities become more deeply hidden, as their beauty becomes all people can see. They also start to become more and more like their keeper. This makes sense to me from a fairy tale concept. Snow White had her Stepmother tortured to death, by forcing her to wear burning hot iron shoes and the goose girl allowed her maid to be tortured by having her put in a barrel stuck with iron and glass, while drawn by four white horses.

Fairest
    Wyrd 7: The fairest never suffers social penalties due to appearance or actions. They also always match their audiences ideal of a fairy princess, knight in shining armor, or prince charming.
    Wyrd 8: All seductions difficulties made against a character who feels or romantic, physical, or simple friendship toward the fairest are zero. Any character who has a positive view of the fairest can never bring themselves to do anything that would harm the fairest.
    Wyrd 9: The fairest gains 4 automatic successes in all rolls where appearance would help. And any wound that would mar the fairest perfect beauty instantly heals, not leaving a scar.
    Wyrd 10: Any supernatural power(contracts, disciplines, gifts, spells) that would mentally or emotionally influence the fairest is an automatic dramatic failure.

But Beauty is as much a curse as a blessing.

Wyrd 7: Add a dice for a clarity roll when you accidentally cause misfortune towards your allies.
    Wyrd 8: : The fairest gains a virtue flaw like casual cruelty, hedonism, green eyes (EXTREME Jealousy towards rivals for the source of their affection) weeping heart ect.
    Wyrd 9: Without the Bennefit of a contract or token, all stealth rolls automatically fail.
    Wyrd 10: Gain a second virtue flaw.

Here is my idea for a high wyrd darkling. I am planning to introduce Edgar Allen Poe as a darkling author as well as one of the most powerful Autumn monarchs in the United States. Right now I am waiting for the Kith and Kin book to come out to see how the Author Kith has been developed. But I am hoping to hear some thoughts and suggestions for the ideas on the high wyrd seemings

.Darklings

Wyrd 7: The Darkling never suffers penalties due to darkness including supernatural darkness and can manipulate natural shadows. By spending a point a glamor, they can not only merge with mist, shadows, and smoke, but also use it has a form of teleportation.
    Wyrd 8: All supernatural attempts to detect the darkling(aura reading, clairvoyance, kenneling, scrying, and telepathy) automatically fail. Darkling also do not leave scents, fingerprints, or footprints that would allow them to be tract.
    Wyrd 9: The Darkling flows like shadows arounds all barriers and defenses. They always have a full defense dice pool, never suffering penalties due to ranged, coordinated attacks, or being over extended. The Darkling can also slip under door frames and squeeze through small spaces. Their attacks can not be blocked, though they can be dodged.
    Wyrd 10: The Darkling moves so fast they appear to teleport behind their opponent to either make a sneak attack or grapple.

Curse: But Darkness bleeds into the Darklings nature making them anathema to day and light.

Wyrd 7: During the day, the darkling suffers a -1 penalty to all perception rolls and a -2 penalty to activate their contracts.
    Wyrd 8: The Darkling suffers the fatigue penalty during the day and -1 from contract activation.
    Wyrd 9: The Darkling suffers aggravated damage from sunlight and bashing damage from intense bright light.
    Wyrd 10: The Darkling must make a 5-dice clarity roll when they unquestionably trust someone.

Comment

Is this for 1e? Because i dunno what Virtue Flaws are and these don't feel like they necessarily follow from the themes of the current 2e seeming blessing

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        Is this for 1e? Because i dunno what Virtue Flaws are and these don't feel like they necessarily follow from the themes of the current 2e seeming blessing

I am drawing the concept of virtue flaws from Exalted, particularly those of solar exalts. I want to touch on the idea that as the fairest becomes more and more beautiful, they start to become more like their true fae keepers. I also wanted to touch on the darker side of fairy tales like Snow White having her Step Mother tortured to death by forcing her to dance in hot iron shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post

I am drawing the concept of virtue flaws from Exalted, particularly those of solar exalts. I want to touch on the idea that as the fairest becomes more and more beautiful, they start to become more like their true fae keepers. I also wanted to touch on the darker side of fairy tales like Snow White having her Step Mother tortured to death by forcing her to dance in hot iron shoes.
          Two things:

1) You should have noted that you were borrowing from another system and explained how they could be adapted to the Chronicles of Darkness Storytelling System

2) Those aren't the themes of the Fairest in 2e though. If you want to make them the themes, that's fine, but you should note that you are working from different thematic angles

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Two things:

1) You should have noted that you were borrowing from another system and explained how they could be adapted to the Chronicles of Darkness Storytelling System

2) Those aren't the themes of the Fairest in 2e though. If you want to make them the themes, that's fine, but you should note that you are working from different thematic angles
            .Yeah, I should have explained that for the virtue flaws. I not sure I agree with you on 2e fairest theme, though. Fairest were created to make their keeper's realm more beautiful. I could see their mien evolving and them potentially becoming more beautiful and more like their keeper. Though, 2e does point out that a changeling's mien evolves due to their own actions and their court mantle. Truthfully, I think we don't have enough info to say for certainty how you seeming evolves as your wyrd rises. Though I am hoping we gain more info in the upcoming kith and kin book.

Comment

Here is my idea for high wyrd ogres.

Ogres

Wyrd 7: unarmed attacks deal lethal damage and reduce armor bonuses by the level of the ogres wyrd. The ogre also stacks their wyrd with all strength, athletic, brawl, and weaponry rolls.
              Wyrd 8: When Throwing an opponent, he ogres foe flies their wyrd miles away before landing with an impact. Without the benefit of a supernatural power or armor of some type, the target suffers +3 aggravated damage while within one yard must make a defense roll against +2 lethal damage.
              Wyrd 9: By Stomping their feet or smashing their fists against the ground, the ogre can cause the Earth quake tilt and any character within the ogres wyrd level of yards must make a roll against being blown back.
              Wyrd 10: The Ogre can make a number of extra attacks and their opponent equal to their dexterity+2.

Curse:

Wyrd 7: There is such an air of violence around the ogre that mortals must make an integrity roll to resist either fleeing in terror from the ogre or attacking him.
              Wyrd 8: The Ogre must make a clarity roll of half his wyrd whenever he resists attacking someone who commits an act of violence against him or someone he cares about. If the roll fails, he falls into a beserker rage and attacks anyone who is the source of his anger.
              Wyrd 9: Mortals are no longer capable or integrity rolls to resist attacking or fleeing from the ogre. One top of that, changelings with a wyrd below 5 must make a clarity roll to resist fleeing or attacking the ogre.
              Wyrd 10: Ogres must always fight someone who challenges them in battle.

Comment

Also, I was rightfully criticized for drawing on an outside system (Exalted) when developing the fairest seeming curse. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am trying to touch upon the darker aspects of fairy tales and explore the idea that as the fairest become more and more beautiful, they start to become more like the True Fae. They are not all necessarily casually cruel or hedonistic. Their love for their families and dear ones might become a destructive all consuming passion, they might unintentionally drive people to madness, or even unintentionally curse them.

Comment

You were criticised for not explaining you drew from an outside system. Finding inspiration elsewhere is just fine.

While this might not be the advice you're looking for, I personally think your efforts are a bit misguided.
                  First of all, the Seeming is part of the character when they come out from Arcadia, and growth comes from what you add on top of that: additional Wyrd dots, Contracts, Mantle, web of Oaths, potentially Entitlements, etc. It just feels weird to suddenly put so much focus on the Seeming when that has been static from Wyrd 1 to Wyrd 6, and at Wyrd 7 you're suddenly affected even more by your Durance.
                  My second problem is that Changeling already has a bunch of unrated advantages and disadvantages that can be hard to keep track of, and this adds up to eight more. When I look at my Wyrd 3 character I have the following already listed in a separate section in my character sheet: Seeming Blessing, Seeming Curse, Kith Blessing, Kith Trickery, Mantle Drawback, Minor Frailty, Entitlement Blessing 1, Entitlement Blessing 2, Entitlement Curse, Entitlement Beat, and I've prepared for a second Minor Frailty for when/if I increase Wyrd to 4. A whole lot of that comes from having an Entitlement, but even without it I'd think it's a lot to keep track of. If you want to develop the Seeming further, I think you should focus on something which extends the base effect of the regular Blessing and Curse, rather than add even more stuff on top of that. For an Ogre it might be that you gain more options than just inflicting Beaten Down when attacking, or the possibility to inflict Beaten Down from intimidation rather than attacks. It's easier to keep track of because it's a variation of something you already had to keep track of rather than a whole new thing like unarmed attacks dealing lethal and getting ridiculous amounts of AP (to the point where I don't think anything has enough armour to resist without adding Hedgespinning bonuses for a round or such things) as well as extra dice on a bunch of rolls. That's honestly 2-3 different new things added on top of the character.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                    You were criticised for not explaining you drew from an outside system. Finding inspiration elsewhere is just fine.
                    I would like to note that Tessie is absolutely correctly describing my intent in my previous post. Just to give more weight to that.

Comment

You were criticized for not explaining you drew from an outside system. Finding inspiration elsewhere is just fine.

While this might not be the advice you're looking for, I personally think your efforts are a bit misguided.

The reason I am trying to develop a chronicle with Queen Titania as the founder of the Spring Court and Alice Liddell as a Chatelain Fairest, who leads an entitlement connected to her adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I also want to introduce Morganna Le Fey as one of the first members of the Autumn Court and Edgar Allen Poe as the most powerful Autumn King in North America, plus Mordred as the Brittish Isles' Winter King.

First of all, the Seeming is part of the character when they come out from Arcadia, and growth comes from what you add on top of that: additional Wyrd dots, Contracts, Mantle, web of Oaths, potentially Entitlements, etc. It just feels weird to suddenly put so much focus on the Seeming when that has been static from Wyrd 1 to Wyrd 6, and at Wyrd 7 you're suddenly affected even more by your Durance.

I agree with you that the wyrd shouldn't be static from wyrd 1 to 6, I am hoping the in Kith and Kin we will see something similiar to the potent Kith merit. In my head, the seeming is the identity forced on you by your Keeper, while your kith is your skill/talent/ potential that drew your keeper to you.

My second problem is that Changeling already has a bunch of unrated advantages and disadvantages that can be hard to keep track of, and this adds up to eight more. When I look at my Wyrd 3 character I have the following already listed in a separate section in my character sheet: Seeming Blessing, Seeming Curse, Kith Blessing, Kith Trickery, Mantle Drawback, Minor Frailty, Entitlement Blessing 1, Entitlement Blessing 2, Entitlement Curse, Entitlement Beat, and I've prepared for a second Minor Frailty for when/if I increase Wyrd to 4. A whole lot of that comes from having an Entitlement, but even without it I'd think it's a lot to keep track of. If you want to develop the Seeming further, I think you should focus on something which extends the base effect of the regular Blessing and Curse, rather than add even more stuff on top of that. For an Ogre it might be that you gain more options than just inflicting Beaten Down when attacking, or the possibility to inflict Beaten Down from intimidation rather than attacks. It's easier to keep track of because it's a variation of something you already had to keep track of rather than a whole new thing like unarmed attacks dealing lethal and getting ridiculous amounts of AP (to the point where I don't think anything has enough armour to resist without adding Hedgespinning bonuses for a round or such things) as well as extra dice on a bunch of rolls. That's honestly 2-3 different new things added on top of the character.

Your character should not be required to raise their wyrd to 7 or take entitlements.

Comment

I took some of what you said and edited the darkling seeming so that they can stay merged with a substance for an entire day instead of just three rounds at wyrd 7 and an ogre no longer has to spend will power to do the bashing damage with their unarmed attacks and deal the beat down condition with a glance at wyrd 7. I am also going to use the defunct potent kith merit from Changeling 1.5 for the kith blessing to evolve. The way I view seeming and kith, your seeming is the identity forced on you by your keeper while your kith is your talent/potential/ desires, even flaws that first drew you to them. This is how your kith blessing can evolve at wyrd 1 while your seeming doesn't evolve until wyrd 7.

I admit this DOES sound overpowered, but I am planning on introducing Titania as the founder of the Spring court, Alice Liddel and a Fairest Chatelaine of the Spring court with her own entitlement connected to her adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass Edgar Allen Poe as one of the most powerful Autumn Kings in North America, Hansel and Gretel as Autumns two most feared enforcers, Mordred as the Winter King in the Brittish Isles and Snow White as the most powerful Duchess of the Ice Bound Heart in Germany.

Because of their influence in fairytales and folklore, I envision them being EXTREMELY powerful.

Comment

On one hand I absolutely see why you'd want to develop Seemings since all changelings have one and that allows all changelings to become more powerful by virtue of high Wyrd without having to take Entitlements and such, but my third criticism about focusing on Seemings (at least in this way) is that powerful changelings get pigeonholed* into just six different roles. I think it's a disservice towards your NPCs to give them boosts based only on their Seemings when you instead could give them more individualised boosts that resonates better with what they're individually known for.

Titania, Morgan le Fay, Poe and Mordred all have important/prestigious Court positions. Maybe you could focus on advanced Mantle effects and unique Court Contracts only they hold? Alice Liddell has an Entitlement so that's a natural starting point for developing new stuff.
                          Alternatively, if this is just for your powerful NPCs and not for players, I'd recommend just giving them whatever boosts you want rather than trying to come up with a system first and trying to fit it in on the NPCs second. If asked about it by the players you can always come up with a justification for a specific power or drawback by pointing towards the most relevant aspect of that character: "It's because of her advanced Kith/role in the Court or Freehold/Entitlement/mastery of Oaths/custom NPC Merit/high Wyrd/old age."

*When I say pigeonholed, I really mean it. When I take a closer look to what you've written about Ogres, it really only fits characters using unarmed attacks and that are intimidating. This does not have to apply to any given Ogre. Since I don't know which if any of your mentioned NPCs would be an Ogre, I'm going to use my own character as an example: She's an Ogre with the custom Kith Everchild which makes her never grow up and thus keeps her looking and behaving like a little girl. In combat she uses a staff, or her signature giant club if things gets dicey. She can be quite unsettling due to her childlike and impulsive behaviour mixing with adult responsibilities and actions.
                          This means two and a half of your Blessings doesn't work unless she stops using her signature weapon, and the two Curses that makes people so afraid at the mere sight of her that they want to either flee or attack her just ruins the idea that she's supposed to seem innocent at first and potentially scare people through her actions.
                          These Benefits and Curses can absolutely fit some Ogre characters, but they're so focused that they force a very narrow Ogre archetype.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I agree that a changelings seeming pigeonholes your character to a certain degree, but that it the point. Your seeming, the identity chosen for you by your keeper is at odds with your kith, which represents your own potential. For example, Titania is a fairest Dearheart. As a mortal, she was plain and downright grotesque, because of inbreeding in her family. Her keeper to her and gave her alien beauty, which she retained upon escaping. Because of her homely beginnings, one reason she keeps her wyrd so high is to retain her incredible beauty.

YET THIS IS AT ODDS with her desire to be a protector and benefactor of children. She has always desperately wanted children and is eaten with guilt over turning her child over to spring. To make up for it, she protects all the children of the Brittish isles, keeping them from being spirited away by the True Fae and rescuing other from abusive households/poverty. Yet, because of her high wyrd, she has the arrogance and cruelty of the True Fae. These two aspects are always in eternal struggle within her.

Comment

At the same time your seeming CAN touch upon your personality. Edgar Allen Poe is a changeling who fear life instead of death and hates the ordinary world manifest through how powerful his seeming is. Though is also a powerful Author because of his influence on North American horror.

Comment

Working...
                              X