Are Freed Huntsmen Playable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Freed Huntsmen Playable

Just one of those random questions that popped into my head and I thought "why not make yet another thread in here". Are freed huntsmen something that can be played as a player character? Like Hobgoblins could be played as a character, but I wondered if the same could go for Huntsmen if their heart was returned to them.

They're about equally as playable as a hobgoblin, which is to say the rules for them are not written with support for player characters in mind in terms of balance nor character advancement, but thanks to the Storytelling System building detailed NPCs using the same structures as PCs, you could hand the sheet for one to a player and have them dictate their actions and it would resolve the same as if the Storyteller did it.

Comment

So they can live among humans, and they can collect glamour and have a mask as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
        So they can live among humans, and they can collect glamour and have a mask as well?
        From the core book:

This is their secret: to anchor them and allow them to manifest fully in the mortal world as creatures of Wyrd and flesh, the True Fae must hide the heart of a Hunts-man within a Bastion

Huntsmen can reap Glamour (p. 103) from mortals but can’t harvest it

The Mask that obscures a changeling’s true nature also shields a Huntsman’s panoply from seeming out of the ordinary.

I think that without their hearts in a bastion, huntsman uses hobgoblin rules to stay in the mortal world.
        At pag 265 are listed rules about hedgespinning, oneiromancy and clash of wills

Comment

Are Huntsmen playable? Not really.
          There are rules for playing them (though not rules for character advancement) but there's too much mystery surrounding them to be able to properly portray them. What are their motivations? What do they know about the world? What's their history? What are their general opinion about changelings, humans, hobgoblins, etc?
          All of those questions are quite open which is great for an ST since it allows them to portray Huntsmen in ways that fit with their intended story and cosmology. But having such questions is bad for a player because a lot of those questions needs answers to make the character's motivations and actions make sense. If you're really dedicated to the idea you could hash a lot of it out with your ST to make it work, but the amount of work required so you won't end up "What does my character know/think about this?" constantly during the game is pretty substantial.

Sidenote: Playable hobgoblins are a whole different thing. There are those created with the adapted Horror system which face the same problems as Huntsmen (though at a much lesser degree) but there's also those who are changelings or humans (or other splats) at base but with the Hedge Denizen or Goblin Queen Conditions, and those are just as playable as regular changelings.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

But... hobgoblins into the human world don't suffer the deprived condition?

Comment

But... hobgoblins into the human world don't suffer the deprived condition?
              I have no idea why they wouldn't, seeing as natural hobgoblins, the results of the Hedge Denizen and Goblin Queen Conditions, and True Fae all explicitly suffer the Deprived Condition beyond the Hedge.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

So how they can become playable characters?

Comment

So how they can become playable characters?
                  You start with a playable character (changeling or human) and slap the Hedge Denizen Condition on them. Done!

Edit: Unless you're talking about the logistical problems surrounding playing a goblin. Second edition discourages more than just cursory exploration of the Hedge with its cumbersome Hedge navigation system and the automatic Hedgespinning, so it's a very valid concern that playing someone who can't leave the Hedge without drawbacks can absolutely ruin the pacing of the game.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 03-31-2021, 05:07 PM.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Ah, so playing as a 15 cm gnome or pixie is out of question?

Comment

Ah, so playing as a 15 cm gnome or pixie is out of question?
                      No. With Hedge Denizen you get access to at least three Goblin Contracts (unless you're a changeling) that can be exchanged for Dread Powers. One of those Dread Powers could be something which reduces your Size to 1 and another could grant flight.

Also, you could homebrew a similar Merit or Kith to do the same thing to a changeling's Mien, so you don't even have to be a goblin for that.

Comment

Ok, I think I understood now, thankyou...

Comment

Working...
                        X