True Fae/Gentry Perceptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Fae/Gentry Perceptions

Giving True Fae Clarity never made any sense to me, because Clarity is is the balancing of the Fae and human half. True Fae are the absence of humanity, however. Though I think it would be cool if there were One Born and Never Born versions of True Fae/ Gentry.

Here are some ideas for True Fae perception.

True Fae Perception
    1. The True Fae can sense phenomenon connected to allowing them to enter the mortal realm. One of which is whenever their name is said out loud.
    2. The True Fae can see the bonds, oaths, and promises that connect people, places, and things. This includes the contracts and pledges a changeling possesses.
    3. The True Fae can smell or taste human emotions with emotions having different smells or tastes.
    Note: No Dice roll is needed for any of these abilities.

One Born and Never Born?

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Onceborn and Neverborn, as in Wraith? Gentry that were changelings/etc and those that weren’t?

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I don't see what that has to do with True Fae Perception. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great stuff, but I'm thoroughly confused by the first half of the post.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
          Giving True Fae Clarity never made any sense to me, because Clarity is is the balancing of the Fae and human half. True Fae are the absence of humanity, however. Though I think it would be cool if there were One Born and Never Born versions of True Fae/ Gentry.

Here are some ideas for True Fae perception.

True Fae Perception
          1. The True Fae can sense phenomenon connected to allowing them to enter the mortal realm. One of which is whenever their name is said out loud.
          2. The True Fae can see the bonds, oaths, and promises that connect people, places, and things. This includes the contracts and pledges a changeling possesses.
          3. The True Fae can smell or taste human emotions with emotions having different smells or tastes.
          Note: No Dice roll is needed for any of these abilities.
          ...What the Christ are you going on about? I feel like I've walked into an unthreaded tapestry.

So.....

1) The Strangers don't have Clarity in this version. They've never had Clarity. Where did this weird idea come from?

2) The declaration that the Strangers are "the absence of humanity" is a weird and wonky statement that spirals the more I think of it as a metaphysical declaration. THey lack humanity, but they aren't some kind of conceptual vacuum manifestation.

3) I feel like the nonsense about Once Born and Never Born is an attempt to apply possible concepts from other game (best guess being Geist, within the Chronicles limitations), but disregarding the fact that it's nonsensical without context, the words on their own don't make sense in context of the Strangers-they inherently are "born", that's what all the drama over Names and Titles ensures-their existence is what those Bargains made are for.

4) I'm not sure how anything in the opening relates to the perceptions.

5) I'm not sure the Perceptions have actually added anything that wasn't already there.

Like, I'm sorry, I'm just confused overall-What's the goal of this thread? what are we trying to do? I'm not asking to be mean, I'm legitimately lost on what the thread of this is supposed to be.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

My sole stab at making sense of the Borning:

Originally posted by Equinox Road, p83, sidebar, "Always, Never Born"
            It might be said that every faerie is as old as Arcadia but as young as the blink of an eye, for Arcadian time is no steady stream. It stops in stagnant pools, runs fast, turns widdershins and even splashes backward. Then the end of time was yesterday; she was born tomorrow, and remembers it in prophecy.

Fae also lack the landmarks that define ordinary life and death. The borders of their existence can only be vaguely defined. A Keeper can be a person, place or thing. She can think in a dozen minds at once. One of these might blossom into a noble faerie itself, lose itself in the Hedge or attach itself to a changeling as a mad whisper that sounds in his dreams.

Despite these difficulties, the Gentry themselves think of their birth as the time of their naming, and their deaths as the moment they lose their names and Titles. This definition serves changelings well enough, because it’s the span when True Fae may hunt mortal slaves.
            Mind you, I have no idea what this has to do with perceptions, but it's the one thing that comes to mind when talking about the Fae being "Never Born."

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              I don't see what that has to do with True Fae Perception. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great stuff, but I'm thoroughly confused by the first half of the post.

I meant True Fae that had once been changeling's and those that were not. I should have more carefully phrased that, sorry I brought it up, because clarity is a balancing of your human half and fairy half, but True Fae lack humanity. That is why it did not make sense to me for them to have clarity.

Comment

I meant True Fae that had once been changeling's and those that were not. I should have more carefully phrased that, sorry I brought it up, because clarity is a balancing of your human half and fairy half, but True Fae lack humanity. That is why it did not make sense to me for them to have clarity.
                Assuming you're applying Becoming Nightmare to make that possible in the first place.....Those Strangers STILL don't have Clarity. No where in Becoming Nightmare does it mention a retention of Clarity as a trait-saying they become True Fae is enough to cover that.

EDIT: worth clarifying, the change in character is enough that making a True Fae from a former changeling is best articulated as "crumple up old character sheet and toss it in the trash, print up True Fae sheet and fill it up as appropriate." This isn't a First Edition Hunter-to-Slasher type affair, where you just add a few features and call it good.

One of the innate results of this method of change is that there is section for Clarity on the new sheet.
                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-03-2021, 04:20 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

I need to look at the 2e corebook, again, but I believe it mentions the True Fae have clarity. Equinox Road has a section on transforming your character into a True Fae, but I will admit the rule have greatly changed from 1e to 2e.

Comment

I need to look at the 2e corebook, again, but I believe it mentions the True Fae have clarity. Equinox Road has a section on transforming your character into a True Fae, but I will admit the rule have greatly changed from 1e to 2e.
                    Originally posted by Changeling: the Lost First Edition, Autumn Nightmares p. 66
                    The True Fae do not possess a Clarity or Morality gauge.
                    Originally posted by Changeling: the Lost Second Edition, p. 270
                    Advantages: Calculate these as changelings do, but True Fae don’t have Clarity.
                    Even Becoming Nightmare, the rules for First Edition changelings with Wyrd 10 sometimes becoming Strangers, involves Clarity freefall and does not transform the character into a true Stranger until they have lost all Clarity.

Please double-check the books if you don't fully remember something your thread is about.

Comment

The Becoming Nightmare section that I mentioned. That is mechanic set for a changeling becoming a Stranger put forward in CHapter One of Equinox Road.

I didn't need to reread it, because it has become an unfortunate tattoo on my brain, but I reread it at lunch anyways and cross-referenced it with the Title Creation Rules in the Faerie chapter so I could say I did, so, let's iterate:

1) Becoming Nightmare (the mechanic set for a changeling becoming a True Fae) was and still is a optional mechanic introduced for to cap the horror of how like a Stranger a changeling could become like. It's not a rule that must be used, and in fact Changeling Second's core refutes it as a fact of the setting, and doubles down on it in the first supplement for Second Edition, Oak, Ash, and Thorn.

2) It mentions that changelings who risk becoming True Fae must have dropped to Clarity 0, and that when they enter Arcadia, they become a 1-Title True Fae. They don't give you rules for this transition beyond being a 1-Title True Fae, so obligatorily that means you follow the rules in Equinox Roads Chapter 3: Faerie, where Clarity never comes up. This is exacerbated by Second Edition explicitly calling out that True Fae don't have Clarity.

Regarding True Fae perception, the True Fae basically score heaps of perception Contracts in either version thanks to either how potent Titles are for it's bag of Contract or the fact that each title bears an entire Regalia's worth of Contracts (and reasonably, more beyond-while this is a houserule, I would feel comfrotable giving Regalia the Influence treatment), but they never benefit from Kenning, because, well, yeah, they don't have Clarity.

Comment

I remember that level 10 changeling's did not automatically become True Fae, but I thought there was a way mentioned in the epilogue to become a True Fae.

Thank you for the quotes on the True Fae not having clarity. I hope it makes it easier to use the perception modifiers I suggested.

Comment

It doesn't, though? Whether the Strangers have Clarity or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether they can enter the material realm when their name is said or look at a person and see pledges they've sworn.

Though tangentially, I wouldn't mind allowing a changeling's kenning to perceive a person's sworn pledges and oaths. I always liked the first edition quirk that changeling society put a lot of emphasis on sworn word and agreements because they could actually see them as bands wound around a person, with the grave caveat that first edition's mechanics never actually gave changelings a way to see those bands around a person by any means.

Comment

Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed for Mage introduces the Joining trait, used by Scelesti (Abyssal mages) whose use of antinomian sorcery has changed them on a metaphysical level. It replaces and serves as a foil to Wisdom trait of normal mages, which in turn is the Integrity/Clarity equivalent for mages.

Since you seem to be aiming for an alternate Clarity of sorts for the Gentry, maybe you could take some inspiration from it? Like, I dunno, call it Certainty and make it about how solid their solipsistic ego is.

MtAw Homebrew:
                            Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                            New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Ummm, I am afraid this is getting out out hand. I mentioned the idea of True Fae who were once human, because I thought it might be an interesting concept to introduce in 2e. I never meant to start a dispute on whether this is mechanically accurate.

I am grateful for the advice on True Fae perception, because I DID want to create mechanics that worked differently than changeling clarity/ kenneling rules. I wanted it to connect to the idea of faerie powers beings born from contracts, pledges, and bonds, fueled by emotions, and that the True Fae can only enter the mortal realm when certain conditions are met.

Comment

Working...
                              X