So a weird question was just tossed my way by a player about Fetches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a weird question was just tossed my way by a player about Fetches

So in a changeling game I am running...long and weird story short. The fetch of one of the characters is in a relationship with another player character. So now said player is desperately trying to find a way to make her "real" as it were. Since she knows that her dying, or merging with her original is likely to be in her future. So the player randomly asked me something that kinda stumped me....can a fetch be embraced by a vampire? And that one stumped me because while their true form is a weird amalgam(in this fetches case it is made out of several dead and living animals just moshed together into a humanoid form)...to the eyes of even Changelings they look like people(as far as I understand it). I am inclined to think that no a fetch couldn't be embraced, but I don't *know* that for sure.

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    I am inclined to [say X], but I don't *know* that for sure.
    This is the answer to basically anything crossover related. If you find it interesting (and if vampires exists in your Changeling game), you could say yes and just alter how vampires work in your setting.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

It’s certainly an evocative origin for a unique bloodline, I suppose.

MtAw Homebrew:
      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

This may not be fully relevant, but you may find it of interest that the Seven Wonders Dark Era discusses the possibility of Fetches undergoing the Pilgrimage to become human. You might be able to do something with that if so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
          to the eyes of even Changelings they look like people(as far as I understand it).
          I thought they just had a mask/mien like Changelings, and thus Changelings could see their true nature... was I wrong? xD

I guess it makes sense that it's harder to find Fetch, since otherwise Freeholds might quickly notice them and put them under surveilance etc...

Homebrew
          - CtL 2E: Seeming Benefits for every Contract

Comment

Originally posted by Unahim View Post
            I thought they just had a mask/mien like Changelings, and thus Changelings could see their true nature... was I wrong? xD

I guess it makes sense that it's harder to find Fetch, since otherwise Freeholds might quickly notice them and put them under surveilance etc...
            They look like the person they're supposed to replace (except for a single flaw that might not even be physical). Absolutely no mention of whether they have a Mask or Mien. It appears that no one (including the Fetch themselves) can see the true form of the Fetch unless they have specific powers that can pierce such illusions.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              They look like the person they're supposed to replace (except for a single flaw that might not even be physical). Absolutely no mention of whether they have a Mask or Mien. It appears that no one (including the Fetch themselves) can see the true form of the Fetch unless they have specific powers that can pierce such illusions.
              Fair enough, I guess I'll house rule that Fetches can voluntarily show their appearances to those who can pierce the Mask, to fix a few mistakes I made on that count in my chronicle. ;D

Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Unahim View Post

It's somewhat ambiguous. Character creation rules for the Fetch call out a few specific ways their supernatural template differs from a Changeling's. Since Mask and Mien are not mentioned and the other traits are specifically contrasted with the Changeling template it's not unreasonable to assume they do have Mask and Mien.

Futhermore: the Normalcy Echo renders the Fetch undetectable to Fae magic, implying that fetches lacking this Echo can be identified by Changeling powers, although exactly which ones are left to guesswork

However, quite a few fetch characters in the fiction are unaware of their nature, which would be implausible if their Masks were subject to their automatic Attuned to the Wyrd Echo. Either Normalcy is quite common (possible, it is one of only three Echoes a fetch can start with) or Fetches' Masks are more resilient to casual scrutiny.

Comment

But coming back to the original topic, it probably isn't possible to embrace a fetch. However, Changeling and Chronicles of Darkness more broadly defy hard categorization of what is and isn't possible. Weird exceptions happen sometimes.

As mentioned previously Promethean has a lot to say about the journey to becoming human. It isn't likely to be an easy one, which means it should be a great source of drama

Comment

I don't think the Embracing thing is much of a question. Humans are embraced, not detritus held together by strings of glamour and shadow. ^^

Homebrew

Comment

The Children of the Thorns explore this concept. The Danse Macabre page 92.
                      They are Kindred who may have become Fetches, there's a little box at page 93 explaining the connection with Changeling the Lost.

This is all 1st edition material, but it is a good read for this kind of things.

Homebrews:
                      Vampire Bloodlines: Abhartach, Kiasyd
                      Ordo Dracul Coils: Hunger, Primal Blood
                      Mage Legacies: Infernal Ones, Daoine

Comment

Working...
                      X