Faeify Fairytale Heroes and Villains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faeify Fairytale Heroes and Villains

What I especially miss from classic World of Darkness and wish had been included in the God Machine Chronicles was the interesting characterization and introducing folklore heroes and villains as creatures of darkness. This is especially true for Changeling: The Lost since changelings are supposed to be fairytales heroes and villains. I know many players think this is unlikely, but I turned in my character of Edgar Allen Poe as a changeling with the hopes they might include him in a Night Horrors rulebook or even an epic changeling core book that focuses on epic Changelings.

It is my hope that if enough people turn in ideas for fairytales characters as Changelings; Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Undine, Alice Liddell, the game designers might introduce them in the Changeling rulebook line.

So if you would turn a fairytale character into a Changeling what seeming and kith would you give them?

Comment

This is one I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Wendy Moira Angela Darling. Fairest.

Wendy was always a precocious and imaginative child, and often played make believe with her brothers. When the being called the Pan came to her window, seeking his shadow, she was ready for whatever adventure she found. That's how she found Neverland.

There,she never aged. The world was magical and deadly. It was exciting and wondrous and terrible. She'd gotten diseases she'd only heard of in books, and met monsters she had always hoped were real. The biggest monster of them all, as she found out, was the Pan itself.

The whimsical creature had decided she would be the mother to his Lost boys, a ragtag band of children he had whisked off for adventure. And she did so well. She played her role as a good wife and mother, which was something she hated the idea of on Earth. She changed, as did her younger brothers. Over time--she was still human enough to have a vague sense of time compared to the Pan-- she realized that something was wrong. Pan wasn't like them. He didn't notice things like injury, or pain. Even after run ins with pirates and natives, he ignored the injuries and deaths.

That's when she met Hook. Hook was once a lost boy, he said. He adored Pan, loved him even. But Pan forgot him. On an adventure in another realm, he was left behind, abandoned, marooned, humiliated. Worse, he began to age. He had to survive, and so, he became the one thing Pan hated most--a Pirate.

He made no excuses for stealing Lost Boys and Natives and selling them to other Gentry. Nor did he care that he had taken many changelings from Earth and traded them in for his freedom. Wendy pitied him, but knew he had to be stopped.

After Hook's defeat, Wendy realized she wanted to go home. Hook was right about Pan. Hook had told her that he was once like them, a human named Peter. But he was so much more than that. He feared she would end up like Peter, and so was she. So she fled with her brothers in tow. Peter had said his goodbyes, and Wendy knew he would forget about her, too.

Wendy had been a mother and warrior in the Durance. She was the best mother any ragtag group of kids could have. She had to become mother to her two younger brothers--all three had become Changed, and their Seemings were less suited for the proper Society at the time. It was some time before the London Freehold found her, and helped take her burden.

Now, Wendy (she doesn't like all of the extra names anymore) is a centennial. She is a prestigious member of the Spring Court (For the youth and vigor and joy she learned in Arcadia never left her). She began an orphanage, to help all lost boy and girls. She fell in love, had a child.. and now even had a grandchild, Moira.

Some say Moira is married to a man named Peter. They have children of their own now. Wendy is still alive, and has a big secret that she has kept hidden for so long. She wasn't even surprised when she saw the hook-scratch on her walls and the empty beds of children.
      Last edited by Cleverest of Things; 08-12-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
        This is one I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Wendy Moira Angela Darling. Fairest.

Wendy was always a precocious and imaginative child, and often played make believe with her brothers. When the being called the Pan came to her window, seeking his shadow, she was ready for whatever adventure she found. That's how she found Neverland.

There,she never aged. The world was magical and deadly. It was exciting and wondrous and terrible. She'd gotten diseases she'd only heard of in books, and met monsters she had always hoped were real. The biggest monster of them all, as she found out, was the Pan itself.

The whimsical creature had decided she would be the mother to his Lost boys, a ragtag band of children he had whisked off for adventure. And she did so well. She played her role as a good wife and mother, which was something she hated the idea of on Earth. She changed, as did her younger brothers. Over time--she was still human enough to have a vague sense of time compared to the Pan-- she realized that something was wrong. Pan wasn't like them. He didn't notice things like injury, or pain. Even after run ins with pirates and natives, he ignored the injuries and deaths.

That's when she met Hook. Hook was once a lost boy, he said. He adored Pan, loved him even. But Pan forgot him. On an adventure in another realm, he was left behind, abandoned, marooned, humiliated. Worse, he began to age. He had to survive, and so, he became the one thing Pan hated most--a Pirate.

He made no excuses for stealing Lost Boys and Natives and selling them to other Gentry. Nor did he care that he had taken many changelings from Earth and traded them in for his freedom. Wendy pitied him, but knew he had to be stopped.

After Hook's defeat, Wendy realized she wanted to go home. Hook was right about Pan. Hook had told her that he was once like them, a human named Peter. But he was so much more than that. He feared she would end up like Peter, and so was she. So she fled with her brothers in tow. Peter had said his goodbyes, and Wendy knew he would forget about her, too.

Wendy had been a mother and warrior in the Durance. She was the best mother any ragtag group of kids could have. She had to become mother to her two younger brothers--all three had become Changed, and their Seemings were less suited for the proper Society at the time. It was some time before the London Freehold found her, and helped take her burden.

Now, Wendy (she doesn't like all of the extra names anymore) is a centennial. She is a prestigious member of the Spring Court (For the youth and vigor and joy she learned in Arcadia never left her). She began an orphanage, to help all lost boy and girls. She fell in love, had a child.. and now even had a grandchild, Moira.

Some say Moira is married to a man named Peter. They have children of their own now. Wendy is still alive, and has a big secret that she has kept hidden for so long. She wasn't even surprised when she saw the hook-scratch on her walls and the empty beds of children.
        Love This Do you have Wendy's stats? Also, have you listened to our read Brom's Child Thief, it is a dark retelling of Peter Pan.

Comment

Also, it might be interesting to give Wendy or Peter the Lost Boy/Girl merit.

Comment

Because Wendy and Alice are from the Victorian era, I thought I would reup my description of Alice Liddell as a Chatelaine Fairest.

On Jul 4, 1862, Charles Dodgson (who wrote under the pen name, Lewis Caroll) went on a boat ride with the three Liddell sisters, Edith, Alice, and Lorina. While Reverend Robinson Duckworth rowed the boat, Alice, the middle sister, began telling Dodgson an entertaining story. She told Dodgson and her sisters how she had followed the white rabbit down the rabbit hole, drank a potion that made her smaller than a mouse, than ate a piece of cake that made her bigger than a house, and nearly drowned in her own tears. Deeply amused, Dodgson went home, thinking of the imagination of children. That night, he had strange dreams of Alice being the maid servant of the White Rabbit, growing to the size of a house, and Alice asking the caterpillar for advice. The next night, Dodgson dreamed of the Cheshire cat with his mad half-moon smile, a baby turning into a big, and Alice chasing after the march hare. The fourth night brought the mad tea party, time stuck eternally at 6 o’clock, and Alice escaping through riddles.

Dodgson found himself being driven mad by these images; of the queen of Hearts lopping off heads, roses painted red with the blood of her victims, of Alice becoming the queen’s chatelain. He first tried to deal with the visions by writing them down. Eventually, this drove Dodgson to a sexual obsession with Alice and asked her father for her hand in marriage. The family responded by cutting all ties with Dodgson. This did not stop the obsession or visions as Dodgson dreamed of Alice escaping through the looking glass only to end up in the land behind the looking glass and the war between the Black and White Queen. Eventually, Dodgson took the pen name, Lewis Caroll, published his visions/dreams under the duology Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. For the Rest of his life, Charles Dodgson would find himself obsessing over his creative angel/muse.

Twelve years after her fetch revealed what was happening to her in Arcadia, the real Alice escaped the Hedge and found herself back in London. No longer the naïve and innocent young girl who had followed the white rabbit down the hole, into the land of hearts, and bondage under the Queen of Hearts. She was a hardened warrior who had first escaped through the looking glass and fought in the war between the Black Kingdom and White Kingdom, who fought her way to freedom. Although, you would expect her to join the Summer court, she instead went to the Antlered/Spring court and offered her services. Thanks to the fame brought to her through Lewis Caroll,s writing, she rose very quickly through the Spring court, first joining the Satrapy of Pearls and then joining the Eldritch order, The Charmed Circle. As her fetch acted as a muse for Charles Dodgson/Lewis Caroll, Alice tries to inspire artistic creativity in London’s young folk. In present day, she is one of the Antlered Court’s greatest influencers of art and writing in London.

Comment

Story Telling Hints: Alice Liddell contains a piece of The Queen of Hearts in her soul, which has positive and negative effects. The positive effects are that hobgoblins often og out of their way to help her, even taking others goblin debt.

The negative effects, however, is that on the night of the full moon, The Queen of Hearts takes over her body and mind turning her into a serial killer. I did a changeling murder mystery chronicle in London, where Alice Liddell, under the influence of The Queen, turned out to be the killer.

Comment

Cleverest of Things Madhatter love your versions of Wendy and Alice. The Fairest always were my favorite seeming.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                  Also, it might be interesting to give Wendy or Peter the Lost Boy/Girl merit.
                  Ironically, no. Wendy is an old woman now, and Peter, having become a Charlatan, grew up as well. Wendy hid his faerie nature from him. He grew up banal and mundane. She did everything she could to keep him from returning to Neverland and becoming the monster he once was.

However, her little brother, Michael.. he probably has it. A century later and he still hasn't aged a day. He is forever that little boy, with his teddy bear token and his safety blanket, even if he's become quite the warrior among the Summer Court of London.

I haven't actually statted them up yet, as my game takes place in the Metropolis (especially Gotham City), but I would love to try it sometime. I had come up with them a long time ago (my user name is a blatant peter pan reference, and my avatar photo is of me playing Pan the Goblin King, from way back in the day) so 2e would be FUN to use to make Wendy. She'd be resilient, lucky, able to talk down the stubbornest and cleverest of things, and I highly doubt she's entirely forgotten how to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post

Ironically, no. Wendy is an old woman now, and Peter, having become a Charlatan, grew up as well. Wendy hid his faerie nature from him. He grew up banal and mundane. She did everything she could to keep him from returning to Neverland and becoming the monster he once was.

However, her little brother, Michael.. he probably has it. A century later and he still hasn't aged a day. He is forever that little boy, with his teddy bear token and his safety blanket, even if he's become quite the warrior among the Summer Court of London.

I haven't actually statted them up yet, as my game takes place in the Metropolis (especially Gotham City), but I would love to try it sometime. I had come up with them a long time ago (my user name is a blatant peter pan reference, and my avatar photo is of me playing Pan the Goblin King, from way back in the day) so 2e would be FUN to use to make Wendy. She'd be resilient, lucky, able to talk down the stubbornest and cleverest of things, and I highly doubt she's entirely forgotten how to fly.

That makes sense. There is something I forgot to mention. In my games, beginning at wyrd 7, the Changelings lifespan is greatly extended.

Wyrd 7 +150 years
                    Wyrd 8 +300 years
                    Wyrd 9 +600 years
                    Wyrd 10, the changeling is immune to aging , disease, and drugs. With the exception of cold iron, their frailties, the changeling can only take damage from supernatural based attacks.

I did this specially so I could introduce Morgana le Fey as the queen of the Ashen Court, Mordred as the Winter King, Nimue as a member of the Autumn court, and Hansel and Gretel as the incestuous duo that act as witch and witch hunters for Autumn.

Comment

Cleverest of Things: In changeling, there are ways to become immortsl, but all of them are pretty intense. Certain Entitlements can do it. There are also likely Goblin Fruits you can use, but will then become dependent on (addiction is a strong word to use but it's not inaccurate). I'd imagine there are other factors that can cause it as well.

I would honestly run the immortality and eternal youth as separate traits, but ones that a given changeling can have both of. One to represent eternal youth (and immunity to time tampering. If mummies can do it, it can work). The other representing immortality itself.

I agree that eternal youth should not be the only way a changeling obtains immortality. In my games, Alice Liddell has the 1.5 version of Long of Days, which also negates the penalties of aging. As a result, more than a hundred years later she still looks like a young girl in her late teens.

Comment

Note: I forgot to mention that Alice containing a shard of the Queen of Hearts in her soul is a major plot device, because it allows me to portray her as ally and villain. Alice is unaware of her other personality, having no memory when the Queen of Hearts takes over her mind. Nor does she suspect she might be behind some of the crimes her former Keeper commits.

. I have done a changeling murder mystery, where the motley was trying to find out who was beheading changelings at the London freehold. Alice first acted as an ally, providing them with information and even using her contacts to help them. However, on the night of the full moon, the Queen of Hearts to over, revealing Alice to be the killer. Alice then played a game of cat and mouse, chasing the motley throughout the London and its hedge. This lasted until dawn, when Alice’s personality reasserted itself. Alice then proceeded to follow the White Rabbit through the hedge.

Comment

Not exactly a changeling, but Kaguya-hime of Japanese fame could’ve been a fetch. Her being found inside a bamboo could be a poetic reference to being made of bamboo, and her turning away of several marriages being her lacking ideas such as love or political necessities.

We can’t leave out Snedronningen. Having Kai as changeling, Gerda as Fae-Touched, and the Snow Queen as Gentry is almost too perfect.

MtAw Homebrew:
                          Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                          New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            Not exactly a changeling, but Kaguya-hime of Japanese fame could’ve been a fetch. Her being found inside a bamboo could be a poetic reference to being made of bamboo, and her turning away of several marriages being her lacking ideas such as love or political necessities.

We can’t leave out Snedronningen. Having Kai as changeling, Gerda as Fae-Touched, and the Snow Queen as Gentry is almost too perfect.
                            I would actually LOVE to see a changeling core book, which focused on Asia and had a special section dedicated to Japan.

Comment

I believe that Susanoo, Fujin and Raijin would make frightening True Fae.

Comment

Working...
                              X