Changling 2.0 Fan Idea: Clarity Breaking Points

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changling 2.0 Fan Idea: Clarity Breaking Points

Notice:This is totally fan made idea, in no way official design of upcoming Changling 2ed - at least till developers don’t say this is official.

So I prepares to run a Changling game on GMC rules / Storyteller System Revised Ruleset. As I need to somehow reconcile 1ed Clarity with GMC rules of Integrity I looked in the corebook definition of Clarity...

Originally posted by Chagling: The Lost
    However, even if a changeling keeps his differences to himself, he still knows that he is no longer what he was. He is no longer the same as his parents, his former friends, the people he grew up around. Even if they were to accept his return (no small feat in and of itself), he is walking between the world of the fae and the human world, and is no longer truly a part of either.

Changeling society is based, at least in part, on this principle. In order to thrive as changelings, each individual must maintain somewhat of a balance between his human side and his fae self. To ignore his human side is devastating to a changeling’s Clarity. He begins to lose any sense of what is real and what is merely the discontented grumblings and terrified shrieks of his wounded soul. Delusions, hallucinations, depression, compulsions, phobias and psychosomatic ailments all wait down that road, greedily anticipating the arrival of a changeling who eschews the mortal world too greatly. Considering the dangers that await those who have immersed themselves solely in fae matters, the logical reaction would seem to be to err in the other direction. The other extreme, however, is, if anything, more dangerous. While low Clarity changelings are in danger of losing their sanity, those who eschew the fae world entirely put themselves in danger of withdrawal-like symptoms as their fae-side slowly starves.
    It looks as something similar to other 2ed line concept I read before. Exactly, a new concept of Harmony in the Werewolf: The Forsaken 2ed. Let’s see on Harmony spoiler:

Originally posted by Harmony spoiler
    Harmony as a trait measures how well you balance the flesh and the spirit. The idea of balance, of needing to walk between two worlds while never being fully in one or the other, is key to Werewolf. That balance is what gives the Uratha a spark of control over the changing beast within. Being about balance and about change, Harmony as a trait ties the Forsaken to Mother Luna, goddess of cycles, change, and balance.

That perfect position of balance comes at Harmony 5. When your Harmony is higher, you’re closer to the flesh than the spirit. At Harmony 10, you can’t enter the Shadow and you need to burn Essence to shapeshift at all (except when you enter Kuruth). At Harmony 0, you’re trapped in the Shadow. You need to spend Essence and roll to not shapeshift when you face an emotional stimulus — and you’re laden with spirit bans over and above those from totem and lodge.

(...)

This way we can reflect the problems that werewolves face when they’re too human as well as when they’re too spirit. It’s a damn hard line to walk, though. Werewolves face two kinds of breaking point. Breaking points toward spirit reflect events that remind a werewolf of her inhumanity and supernatural nature. Breaking points toward flesh reflect things that remind the werewolf of the human life before her Change. Uratha who want to retain balance need to find ways to hit breaking points towards flesh, because they’ll hit a whole lot towards spirit just by being a werewolf. Having high Harmony makes it easier to fail breaking points towards flesh — the more human you act, the easier it is to be human. The same also applies for breaking points toward spirit. Once you overbalance, you need to work at finding that sweet spot right on the edge. As with Blood & Smoke some events are pretty much always breaking points for certain levels of Harmony, but players define other breaking points as appropriate for their characters.
    So mine idea for Clarity is simple - changlings have two kinds of Breaking Points - toward human side, and those to the fae side. Clarity 10 character is too much human, not seeing anything related to the Wyrd or Arcadia, even in front of it. He always see the Mask, nothing what’s under it - even himself, his own Mein. He totally forget his memories of Abduction, making himself excuses to his disappearing and scars he get. Even if his Keeper is still going to return for him, someday, Clarity 10 changling just don’t see him.

On the contrast, Clarity 0 character is in grips of Wyrd logic so much, he sees Arcadia everywhere. He really thinks he is still in there, and even if not, he is let free by his Keeper in some nefarious scheme. He don’t see streets and cars - he see black marble roads and metal beasts of Fearie. Humans to him are next hobgoblins species, technology is magic of Contracts. In his mind, he never left Arcadia away. He probably thinks he never was human, only fea in Fearie.

Like in the Werewolf’s Harmony, best for the changling is middle of Clarity 5, but it’s hard to maintain. You are enough fae-like to understand the best Gentry and have the vivids memories of your Durance in Fearie. But you are also enough human to understand Earth’s reality and clearly remember how was you before. The departure from this value impairs changlings perception of a reality and her memories.

What do you think of this idea? What could be typical Breaking Points modifiers? What could be negatives for extreme values and bonuses for middle one?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-31-2014, 08:11 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Obviously one thing that could remain ia bonus for Perception rolls for high Clarity Changelings but accompanied with penalties against perceiving the supernatural aspects of their lives.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

So bonus to Perception for Clarity 5, but penalties for Clarity 0 and 10, even if they don't see mundane or supernatural aspects of their lives, respectively? I'm rather inclined to give Clarity 6-7 something like +1 bonus, 8-9 no bonus to see the supernatural. With Clarity 3-4 with +1 bonus for seeing mundane, and 1-2 with no bonus. Clarity 5 get's +2 Perception bonus for seeing both supernatural and mundane. Something like that.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

It sounds better than mine, so sure. I'm better at fluff than crunch.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

In regards to the roleplay, I always had to myself that a 0 Clarity Changeling actually becomes Gentry. Or at least loses some more of his soul.

That, of course, would present the problem that such a situation would be irreversible. OR, maybe, not irreversible, but a Changeling who lost all his clarity and then regained some would be less a human turned fairy and more a fairy turned human. In other words, maybe going to zero and back would turn a changeling into a Charlatain.

“The marquis de Carabas was not a good man, and he knew himself well enough to be perfectly certain that he was not a brave man. He had long since decided that the world, Above or Below, was a place that wished to be deceived, and, to this end, he had named himself from a lie in a fairy tale, and created himself--his clothes, his manner, his carriage--as a grand joke."

Comment

Besides, high Clarity changelings would have to expend more glamour than usual to fuel their contracts.

Comment

Ehhhhh.... I don't know if I 100% support this idea - it seems like too much of a departure from what Clarity represents, at least to me.

My conception of Clarity (as driven by what's in Rites of Spring) is that the higher your Clarity is, the better able you are to tell what's real from what isn't. You always still hallucinate - Arcadia leaves its mark - but the higher your Clarity is the better you are able to to recognize the hallucinations as such, to see past or through them to what's real, whether mortal or fae. Conversely, low Clarity means that you're so absorbed with your own twisted perceptions that you have difficulty seeing the world beyond them for what it truly is, or even seeing it at all. Things that act as Breaking Points for Clarity are things which further interfere with your already-muddled perceptions either directly (hallucinogenic drugs, spending time in the Hedge, where reality is fluid enough to cause trouble) or indirectly via exposure to Arcadia, where there's no objective reality at all (which is why actions reminiscent of the True Fae are breaking points, as is extended contact with one).

Besides which, I'm not sure if Human/Fae is really an even tradeoff, as Flesh/Spirit is. The Spirit is part of werewolves, and always has been. Fae nature was basically stapled into the Lost - I know of a good many characters I've seen, run, and played with who would gladly fall all the way to the mortal end of the scale if that were an option, if only to try to forget the terrible stuff that happened to them.

Comment

Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
                Ehhhhh.... I don't know if I 100% support this idea - it seems like too much of a departure from what Clarity represents, at least to me.

My conception of Clarity (as driven by what's in Rites of Spring) is that the higher your Clarity is, the better able you are to tell what's real from what isn't. You always still hallucinate - Arcadia leaves its mark - but the higher your Clarity is the better you are able to to recognize the hallucinations as such, to see past or through them to what's real, whether mortal or fae. Conversely, low Clarity means that you're so absorbed with your own twisted perceptions that you have difficulty seeing the world beyond them for what it truly is, or even seeing it at all. Things that act as Breaking Points for Clarity are things which further interfere with your already-muddled perceptions either directly (hallucinogenic drugs, spending time in the Hedge, where reality is fluid enough to cause trouble) or indirectly via exposure to Arcadia, where there's no objective reality at all (which is why actions reminiscent of the True Fae are breaking points, as is extended contact with one).
                It was the same with previous iteration of Harmony - in reality, it was only explanation so the mechanics were matching nWoD 1ed model "You have your Morality stat high, you are 'good' monster". It came from simpler model, based on sins levels.

Now, with Breaking Points mechanics instead of fixed "sins", you can go up and down the scale - and it's more logical, as both part of Man and Wolf struggle in the character.

I was there displeased that your character in CtL could easily goes down the spiral level because of external factors that mess with your perception. It weren't yours decision to be, it easily be just cruels Sotryteller fault. Bad game design, in my POV.

Originally posted by HobbitGuy1420 View Post
                Besides which, I'm not sure if Human/Fae is really an even tradeoff, as Flesh/Spirit is. The Spirit is part of werewolves, and always has been. Fae nature was basically stapled into the Lost - I know of a good many characters I've seen, run, and played with who would gladly fall all the way to the mortal end of the scale if that were an option, if only to try to forget the terrible stuff that happened to them.
                To counter that I say that werewolves, in reality, aren't Human/Spirit hybrids till the First Change - they use Integrity, don't recognize spirits influences, etc.

And it was said by Werewolf 2ed developers that Harmony 10 character, i.e. Too Human - are totally correct tragic characters, that could turn easily antagonists. The same I would see with Clarity 10 changelings, that forget they are even fae, but still working unconsciousness as one.

LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The same I would see with Clarity 10 changelings, that forget they are even fae, but still working unconsciousness as one.
                  Maybe they are not example of Clarity 10 Changelings according to your take, but check 1d4chan's Homebrew Courts for Iron Court. The entry implies they are fanatic about denying fae parts of themselves (though still not enough to not be able to use consciously Contracts dealings with shutting down Hedge gates permamently). They are better organized and more careful Bridgeburners.

Comment

Originally posted by DeCarabas View Post
                    In regards to the roleplay, I always had to myself that a 0 Clarity Changeling actually becomes Gentry. Or at least loses some more of his soul.

That, of course, would present the problem that such a situation would be irreversible. OR, maybe, not irreversible, but a Changeling who lost all his clarity and then regained some would be less a human turned fairy and more a fairy turned human. In other words, maybe going to zero and back would turn a changeling into a Charlatain.
                    It's the same situation with now in Mage - Wisdom 0 character is Mad, without real soul. You can play one for a time, but he will sometime just cross the line so much, other Awakened will want to put him to rest.

I have a general question here - what is diffrence between Changling and Charlatain?

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                      Besides, high Clarity changelings would have to expend more glamour than usual to fuel their contracts.
                      It is possible, just like those with low Clarity will have lowered the cost. In last Werewolf 2ed spoiler it was said the low Harmony Uratha ( more Wolf-Spirit-like ) have easier time crossing the worlds, with higher Harmony having more difficult time ( being more Human-like ). I could see the similar thing for changelings.

I envision Clarity 10 changeling to spend Glamour only instinctively, in reason "fight or death" situation. How would make this state of "mundanes" also a problem for him? In Werewolf Harmony 10 Uratha deny so much they wolf nature they change only under their moon phase, totally subconsciously, and goes on killing spree. Would something similar will go with changelings?

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm sort of confused as to why Clarity 10 needs to be turned into a bad thing. Why is the ideal "half-clear", rather than "all-clear"?

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                        An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                        Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Errol216, and I don't understand the question - could you make it based on example, maybe?

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm debating if I want to start my morning off explaining what's wrong with the premise or not. I mean, that could be another huge essay.

I'll chew on it. In the mean time!

1)Clarity is the desired state of changelings, even though it blinds them in certain regards, because it means that they are beating their trauma and seeing the world and it's circumstances as they are. Yes, they have to live a rigid lifestyle that often means risking starving themselves on glamour, denying themselves roads that are quicker to travel, etc.-they have to take steps to ensure that their vision is clear, which means avoiding the skewing factor of their fae side-the fae side is always off kilter, it's not controlled. Still, Clarity 10 means that a character can be sure of who they are, where they are, when they are-they know the their world intimately, they know who doesn't belong, they know the difference between shadows out to take them away from normal shadows, and they know what they really did. In short, on at least psychological grounds, they are safe and secure, which is what every Changeling aspires to.

2)Harmony is not a good comparison to Clarity. Clarity is an ongoing struggle, a slow slide into madness or recovery. It has to be, that's the subject matter it's dealing with, and the narrative it's telling. Clarity is a chronicle long struggle about coming to terms with your experience and not letting them define your here and now. Anything less than Clarity 10 implies that you are still letting your trauma define who you are and what happens to you to some degree.

Harmony, on the other hand, works as a constantly flip-flopping thing with a middle point because the point of the Forsaken is to be, well, forsaken. Werewolves are creatures that need to walk the balance beam, but it's tempting to skew one way or the other because doing so gives you connection to the Flesh or to the Spirit-you can be a part of those communities. Werewolves sit in the middle of tough, vivid sensations and emotions, their lives are very active and involve quick decisions(a lifestyle not advised for Lost trying to beat their trauma), and their Integrity stat reflects that. It also reflects the mercurial nature of werewolves-just as they shift between man and wolf, flesh and spirit, so too does their Integrity flow back and forth. Werewolves are creatures that embrace impermanence and reject defining boundaries because that allows them to always be bigger than what they're hunting in that particular circumstance.

Impermanence. Rejection of defining boundaries. Ideas that, for a Lost, are terrifying, because they embody insecurity and distrust of their worlds and themselves. The biggest threat for a Changeling is in their mind, the idea that disaster really does lie behind every corner-as another callback, again, this is why the Hedge is psychoactive, and why a changeling who is afraid of something happening is more likely to have something happen to them than one who doesn't in the Hedge. That sort of Integrity stat just doesn't work with a changeling because it is the antithesis of what a changeling really needs in their life.

It's worth noting that all the games asides from Werewolf has this idea of balancing a human side with their monstrous side without needing to embody it within their Integrity. Humanity is a balance between the Man and the Beast, and yet Vampire would be poorer if it was like Harmony. Memory is a balance between the man in the here and the now versus the ancient monster of ruin, and yet that struggle would really fall apart if it acted like Harmony. And Cover already fluxes enough as is.

I don't mention Wisdom because Awakening Second Edition is about to talk about them next week, and I don't mention Humanity for Promethean because it's not the Integrity Stat now. The only other stat that well embodies that chaotic stuck-between-two-worlds tug of war style of Integrity is Synergy.

So, without going full essay mode on you, that's why I think this is a flawed idea. Feel free to pursue it, but keep these things in mind as you account for it.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Well, I will come out and say too I'm more of a fan of 1ed's Clarity than wyrdhamster's approach, but I offered advice here and there because I felt like helping in a neutral way.

And if it is NOT a full essay, then I both dread and wonder what long it would be in full version. x3

Comment

Working...
                              X