Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some reworked Contracts + optional guidelines for building Hollows.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some reworked Contracts + optional guidelines for building Hollows.

Feedback and opinions are very welcome.

Firstly, starting Changelings get an extra dot in a Finesse Attribute of their choice (Wits, Dexterity or Manipulation), in addition to a free Specialty in Brawl, Athletics or Stealth. The extra dot is meant to represent a generalized fae aptitude for nimbleness, grace, smoothness, cunning and trickery.

The Flames Of Summer (Fleeting Summer 5): your immunity to being swayed also extends to supernatural methods. Success grants you +5 on all Physical roll, and Exceptional Success grants the 8 Again bonus. Reason: this is the ultimate Fleeting power for Summer, which is all about might. I figured that it needed something that really makes you go “that’s badass”.

Feast Of Gluttonous Health (Stone 4): the Catch is now longer and more involved. The character eats at his/her own Hollow and offers an amount of goblin fruit roughly proportional to the amount of damage he wants to heal as a tribute to the Hedge or a higher power. He must prize these goblin fruit in a significant way. He simply gathers the tribute on a pile and prays or simply says thanks, and the tribute is reduced to ash and smoke. This may attract hobgoblins at the ST’s discretion. Reason: seriously, the official catch is way too rare.

Noonday Grasp (Eternal Summer 3): this clause now gives you dots equal to your activation successes or Wyrd/2 round up to Strength for all non Contract purposes, whichever is higher. Exceptional Success also grants you dots in Stamina equal to your Wyrd/2 round up (you also get temporary Health dots). Both effects stack with similar powers, such as Contracts of Stone and the Elemental Seeming Blessing. Reason: this is a 3 dot power that was originally inferior to a 1 dot power (Stone 1), and costs 1 more glamour. That simply does not make sense.

Contracts of Hearth: any bonuses cannot be used for Degeneration or Contract/Token activation. Reason: if they did, Degeneration and Exceptional Successes on Contract/Token activation would be way too easy.

The Lord's Dread Gaze (Eternal Summer 5): the Catch is now easier. The target has committed a serious crime against the freehold within the past 7 days. What counts as serious enough may vary according to the freehold and may be discussed among the game group. This Catch can't apply to the True Fae.

Fallen From The Timbers (Eternal Winter 4): the Catch is now easier. Within the past 3 days, the target must have denied the character very important help after the character helped him/her in a significant way. Also, the penalty inflicted by the cold is equal to your successes on the attack and accumulate with multiple attacks (caps at -5).

Fair Entrance (Goblin 2): instead of unlocking doors, Fair Entrance now unlocks supernatural barriers, such as those created with the Contracts of Thorn And Brambles/Control The Elements, a Mage’s Wards created with the Space Arcanum or Tokens in general. You have to exceed the successes gained by the person who created the barrier. Also, it may be used to deactivate traps. Each success deactivates one trap within Wyrd x 2 yards or removes a penalty inflicted by a trap by 1. It is now rated at 3 dots. The Goblin Drawback is the same, but with one addition: when deactivating or weakening traps, the next time you create a trap, it will either not work or somehow capture the wrong target. The more traps you deactivate or weaken, the more dangerous the wrong target will be, up to a True Fae. Reason: you can walk through doors and window with Contracts Of Separation 3, with no Goblin Drawback.

Fools’ Gold (Goblin 2): changing the word Fool’s into plural is intentional. It is now rated at 3 dots. Instead of giving a small object a Mask, Fools’ Gold now makes an object seem supernaturally important, rare, useful or otherwise desirable to multiple individuals at once, causing people to have conflicts over it. This works even on those who can see past the Mask. The Goblin Drawback changes: the fooled individuals get to roll the highest Wits + Composure among them to notice who was responsible, penalized by the invoking character’s Wyrd/2 round up. If they succeed, for 24 hours, the fooled individuals will know the direction and distance of the invoking character and gain a bonus to pursue him/her equal to his/her Wyrd. It may sound like Fleeting Spring 2 at first, but it is more potent: a group of up to the character’s Wyrd + Manipulation before any modifiers may be affected. Crowds resist with the highest Composure present. However, supernaturals do not make a separate roll each: they are swept up along with the mortals, but the highest Powerstat is added to the highest Composure. Reason: the fan made Contracts of Masks (made by Ângelus Morningstar and available on his Contract Codex) and Contracts of Illusions (made by FaerieBadBoy and available on Kismet's WoD) can both mimic the orginal Fool's Gold, without the Goblin Drawback.

Roll Results:

Dramatic Failure: you cannot use this Contract again for 24 hours, and any Subterfuge rolls made during the same period suffer a penalty equal to your Wyrd.

Failure: nothing happens.

Success: the people squabble and argue over who should have the object for a number of turns equal to the character’s Wyrd upon seeing the object, but will not actually harm each other. It is possible to snap them out of it, but any attempts to do so cost 1 willpower point (no +3 bonus) and a success on a Manipulation + Persuasion or Presence + Intimidation roll penalized by the character’s Wyrd. You may only attempt to snap them out of it once.

Exceptional Success: the people squabble and argue for a whole scene and you can’t snap them out of it. Their Wits + Composure roll is penalized by the invoking character’s whole Wyrd.

Suggested Modifiers: the object is not normally seen as desirable (-1), the individuals are normally friendly to each and do not argue (-2), the invoking character uses this Contract in front of them in an obvious attempt to dupe them (-3), the object is normally seen as desirable (+1), the individuals argue frequently (+2), the object is presented as a gift to “the most [insert quality here] of them all”, Apple Of Discord style (+2)

Optional Guidelines for building Hollows: this is a bit like Hedgespinning. You must roll your highest Finesse Attribute + Crafts + half your Wyrd round up. Finesse Attributes are Wits, Dexterity or Manipulation. This represents the magically facilitated nature of the building process. You must spend 1 glamour per roll. The target number of successes is 10 x the desired dot rating of the Hollow, with each roll representing one full day of work (though you can use Contracts of Hours to make less time pass in the real world than it normally would). Apply the normal modifiers for Hedgespinning where appropriate. You have to pay the full XP cost, but multiple characters may contribute to the payment. Exceptional Success gives you a free dot in whatever characteristic of the Hollow you want, plus another one for each dot in Crafts exceeding 4 (only one character is counted for this last perk and the free dots have a maximum of 3, so it caps at Crafts 6).
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-25-2014, 09:25 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Firstly, starting Changelings get an extra dot in a Finesse Attribute of their choice (Wits, Dexterity or Manipulation), in addition to a free Specialty in Brawl, Athletics or Stealth. The extra dot is meant to represent a generalized fae aptitude for nimbleness, grace, smoothness, cunning and trickery.
    I'll tackle this one for now since I would have to reread carefully those Contracts in 1ed for comparison.

I would myself suggest to drop free Specialty if you insist on adding an extra Attribute dot. I would use the extra dot in Wits, Dexterity or Manipulation to represent how the Changeling earned his or her freedom. Some can free themselves because of their cunning (Wits), because they lose their pursuers (Dexterity) or because they successfully bargain for their freedom (Manipulation), to give few examples. How they escaped Durance carries over to their lives on the Ironside.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

I'm curious why the boost to a Finesse Attribute. I mean, I understand why it's appropriate (the fae being nimble and wily), but why do you think it is needed? I'm partially worried about how the bonus dot would mesh with certain Seeming blessings, but maybe that's a non-issue.

Flames of Summer: I think this is a fair change, though I would suggest making the bonus +4 rather than +5. I can't think of a good reason why though, beyond just a gut feeling. Maybe it's because as written, +4 is what you get on an Exceptional Success. I think it's also because Mien of the Baba Yaga (Fleeting Autumn's capstone clause) does bashing damage rather than, say, lethal.

Noonday Grasp: Seems aight.

Gluttonous Health: I'm not sure about this catch. Why not just eat the goblin fruit for healing? If you want something less rare than "offered food by a stranger," how about: "The changeling is at a meal set out for multiple people, and eats the other guests' shares as well as his own."

Hearth: This seems pretty uncontroversial, but there is probably value in explicitly stating these sorts of rulings.

Lord's Dread Gaze: I like this. I think it's got some good thematic weight behind it.

Fallen From the Timbers: See above. I wonder if the catch in the book is a reference to some story? Now that I look at it, Eternal Winter 4 is strictly speaking more powerful than Fleeting Autumn 5. That's interesting.

Fair Entrance: I grok your reasoning, though I might point out that this Goblin Contract is a lot cheaper to purchase than three dots in Separation. So. Just something to consider.

Fools' Gold: This is really cool, although I also think the reworking is situational. That is to say, if I were a Storyteller using either of those fan-made Contracts, then yeah, I'd change this one. If not, I'd probably leave it be, since it replicates such an essential fae power. In general, I like it though.

Hollowspinning: I like this a lot! Do you think it would be appropriate to allow for a small XP-break on purchasing the Hollow merit if a changeling uses this technique, since they're putting in that extra effort?

Comment

I'm curious why the boost to a Finesse Attribute. I mean, I understand why it's appropriate (the fae being nimble and wily), but why do you think it is needed? I'm partially worried about how the bonus dot would mesh with certain Seeming blessings, but maybe that's a non-issue.
        It's really a matter of personal preference. I think a freebie Specialty is cool, but a freebie dot on the side is cooler.

Flames of Summer: I think this is a fair change, though I would suggest making the bonus +4 rather than +5. I can't think of a good reason why though, beyond just a gut feeling. Maybe it's because as written, +4 is what you get on an Exceptional Success. I think it's also because Mien of the Baba Yaga (Fleeting Autumn's capstone clause) does bashing damage rather than, say, lethal.
        I chose +5 because that is the maximum bonus under most circumstances.

Gluttonous Health: I'm not sure about this catch. Why not just eat the goblin fruit for healing? If you want something less rare than "offered food by a stranger," how about: "The changeling is at a meal set out for multiple people, and eats the other guests' shares as well as his own."
        Ah, darnit. I should've thought about that caveat. While I like that catch you suggested, I was aiming for something that doesn't require a party or celebration. How about: "the character must have someone's permission to enter their house and the character agrees to owe the host a favor (any sapient host counts, including hobs, Gentry and other splats. You may coerce the host into letting you in at your own risk). Alternatively, the character goes full ogre mode and commits cannibalism (assume that you are a Gristlegrinder, have Lethal Mien or some other tool to rip out flesh. Each point of lethal damage dealt converts 2 lethal or 1 aggravated into 2 bashing. However, if choosing this option, you must spend 1 willpower on each attack and you still have to spend 1 hour on your meal.)"

Hollowspinning: I like this a lot! Do you think it would be appropriate to allow for a small XP-break on purchasing the Hollow merit if a changeling uses this technique, since they're putting in that extra effort?
        Sure, if you want.
        Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-24-2014, 06:21 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Also, one more reworked clause! This time it's Mien Of The Baba Yaga (Fleeting Autumn 5). You may substitute Empathy with Intimidation. Your roll is now contested with the target(s) Resolve + Powerstat. On the upside, this clause is now very dangerous: if you succeed, the target(s) suffer an immediate number of bashing points of damage equal to your Empathy or Intimidation (caps at 5) + Autumn Mantle. They only roll to see if they faint from bashing damage at the end of the scene; meanwhile, you gain a bonus on all Social rolls against the target(s) equal to your Autumn Mantle or successes on the activation, whichever is higher. On an Exceptional Success, the damage is equal to Empathy or Intimidation (caps at 5) + Autumn Mantle - Resolve, but is now lethal. These new effects are in addition to the original effects. This clause now costs 4 glamour + 1 willpower point. You may not kill anyone with this clause: if you fill their Health meter with lethal damage, subtract 1 point of damage so they don't start receiving aggravated damage. You may only use this clause on the same individuals once per day.
          Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-24-2014, 06:58 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

This post might not fit with the title, but I just want to say that I also reworked the blessing of the Lurker kith from Victorian Lost. The original kith blessing is "Larcenous Fingers": The Lurker gains the benefit of the 9-again rule on all Larceny dice pools, and their nimble fingers mean they never suffer penalties for poor equipment on these rolls. They can also spend 1 Glamour to gain a +2 bonus to any Larceny roll. In addition, lurkers gain the benefit of the 8 again rule on all Stealth dice pools, instead of the 9 again rule other darklings possess.

Now Lurkers gain 9 Again on Larceny and Streetwise, which are upgraded to 8 Again at Wyrd 7. They do suffer penalties for poor equipment, but the penalties are reduced by 1, or 2 at Wyrd 7. They cannot spend glamour to gain dice on Larceny, nor do they gain 8 Again on Stealth.
            Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-24-2014, 10:06 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Working...
            X