Music of Lost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music of Lost

Topic for your Changeling: The Lost music proposals to the mood of game. I strike in more ambient/general themes kind of music, because i like music in play that make good atmosphere, not necessary that is easily heard by the players as "this cool song" and break away from the game. So stick rather to music without lyrics.

I found the Once Upon A Time TV Series OST being very good for Changeling - it's classical-ish, having more beautiful and omnibus peaces. Real fairy tale in sound.

Here is small example of it...

In contrast, Wolf Among Us OST sounds for me too weird for game mood - it's just too much electronics and feel of 80s, even if the game itself is great inspiration for Changeling.

This is how you shouldnot done CtL music...

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-26-2015, 07:49 AM.

My various Dark Eras fan stuff hub
    Byzantine Empire and Eastern Europe in Early Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquer of Paradise – Portugal and Spain and their conquests in XVI century
    My Hacks and Z-Splats for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E

Most of Nightwish's songs fit surprisingly well with Changeling, especially as battle music.

Nightwish: I Want My Tears Back https://youtu.be/fV2C9_MAJ0E

Nightwish: The Crow, the Owl and the Dove https://youtu.be/Upt8_tPYIl0

I feel like this song would be perfect for trading in the Goblin Market, or harvesting Glamour. :P

As does Celtic music, since fairies are often associated with such.

2 Hours of Celtic https://youtu.be/jiwuQ6UHMQg

2 Hours of Fantasy https://youtu.be/4bhceZgdWFM
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

The Taverns of Azeroth album has good tracks. I think that the solemn violins in "Temple of the Moon" make it especially well suited to Changeling angst.

"Game of Houses", in the Wheel of Time soundtrack, has this creaky undertone of cogs turning that evokes Wizened workshops.

Comment

Blind Guardian might as well be NWoD: The Metal Band

Besides stuff like Otherland (Arcadia), Another Stranger Me (Fetches), and Fly (How do you think the Gentry get you in the first place?)... well, I'll leave you to look for yourself.

A Shadow Out Of Tim is a concept album by Darkest of the Hillside Thickets based around Lovecraft's A Shadow Out of Time; despite that... well, Blackout and No Way fit rather well for... different reasons (No Way is a bit horrifying from the perspective of a Changeling trying to take their life back).

Eh, I'll think of some more later.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

The soundtrack from Pan's Labyrinth.

The Nightmare before Christmas. Beautiful music, images of madness.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

In contrast, Wolf Among Us OST sounds for me too weird for game mood - it's just too much electronics and feel of 80s, even if the game itself is great inspiration for Changeling.

This is how you shouldnot done CtL music...

I'm not sure I agree. The electronics do ground the music in the real world, but the pacing and slow swirl to the style is just as evocative of the fairy tale mists that one shouldn't go wandering through as xylophones and pipes doing the same. It's dark, creeping, and subtle,with an edge of the urban to set the scene.

I think it's a marvelous piece for Changeling that can do a lot-I can just imagine one of my changeling's stumbling through the streets on an autumn night, crashing into things as the glamour pulses violet in her veins, her body tired but her mind blazing, her eyes making out the faces in the crowd, in the fog, in the mirrors, knowing they're not real, and still trying to decide if she should run anyways.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I'm not sure how useful the song is as mood music in an actual game, but I defy anyone to watch the video and listen to the lyrics and not get a creepily strong Changeling vibe.

Comment

I've used it!

Poets of the Fall is a staple of Changeling Soundtracks period. Carnival of Rust is the theme song of Changeling the Lost and I will hear no word against it.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                Work Blog Coming Soon
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I don't think the style of music necessarily matches the theme of changeling, however when I heard two songs in particular by this band a couple of times and heard the lyrics I did double take and wounder what exactly was she singing about? I'm sure she wasn't but these songs in particular sound awful alot like she's singing about changelings.

One true thing - I'll Wait
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SucEgH1NjQE

From a distance, I hear them call.
                  For you and for me,
                  for everything they see.
                  On a mission, losing their minds.
                  For love and for hate,
                  for freedom they can’t take.
                  Your decision, you’d go along.
                  And give up your life to fight
                  for what went wrong.

And you know that I know
                  that you won’t come back again.
                  And you know that I’d go
                  but I’d lose myself in it.
                  I’ll wait into the summer and into the winter,
                  I’ll wait for you, I will.
                  I’ll hold onto you tightly and pray for you nightly.
                  I’ll wait for you.

In the twilight, hours pass slow.
                  The minutes roll by,
                  as summer turns to snow.
                  I decided, I’m not that strong.
                  I couldn’t go out and fight
                  what I know is wrong.

And you know that I know
                  that you won’t come back again.
                  And you know that I’d go
                  but I’d lose my faith in it.
                  I’ll wait for you.

I’ll wait for you, I will
                  I’ll wait for you.

From a distance, I hear them call.
                  For you and for me,
                  for everything they see.
                  On a mission, losing their minds.
                  For love and for hate,
                  for freedom...

There was another one aswell, with repeated mentions of bushes and thorns and loosing your mind.
                  One True Thing - Will I Make It
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UABUKcDm48g

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    I've used it!

Poets of the Fall is a staple of Changeling Soundtracks period. Carnival of Rust is the theme song of Changeling the Lost and I will hear no word against it.
                    It's actually kind of amazing that they contributed a significant amount of the soundtrack of Alan Wake, a game that was just choc full of Changeling-esque elements. Monsters who derive their power from narrative, but are bereft of creativity in their own right and must therefore rely on artists to create the story in which they play. Then there's the amoral, homicidal doppelganger with shadow-based powers. Then there's the whole "being taken to another world that can only dimly be remembered, before escaping and finding oneself back in the real world to find some time has elapsed that doesn't quite match the time spent missing" aspect. And then there's just the fact that the game finds an excuse to toss you into the woods at every opportunity.

"The Poet and the Muse" would probably be a pretty great song for a more mournful sequence in a Changeling game, for that matter.

Comment

Since we're doing lyric songs now, Zimmer's "Here I Am" conveys this incredible sense of freedom and fulfilment. The opening lines are reminiscent of a Changeling who's just broken out of Faerie:

Here I am - this is me
                      There's nowhere else on earth I'd rather be...

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                        Most of Nightwish's songs fit surprisingly well with Changeling, especially as battle music.

Nightwish: I Want My Tears Back https://youtu.be/fV2C9_MAJ0E
                        [/URL]

I once conjured a particularly unpleasant Keeper called 'The Teartaker' for one of my players, based entirely on that song. Very fitting.

"The phrase 'flies on the heads of pins' appeared 43 times in that journal, sometimes in the middle of sentences or written in the margins."

Comment

It's hardly as fitting as these others here, I'll admit, but this song makes me think of a changeling lamenting their Durance - mostly the refrain. I'd love to see what inventive minds could do towards reworking this song to properly Changeling lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QO40HjRH2w

Comment

Lindsey Stirling's Shatter Me is pretty Changeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tpIMDy9BE

Comment

Sorry to double post but let's be real this is pretty much the Second Edition Theme.

Comment

Working...
                              X