X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Edition Darklings.

Here's the thread to talk about them.

You can find the first draft here.
    Last edited by MachineIV; 04-30-2015, 11:35 PM.

David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer
    Independent Game Designer

Curse: A Shade’s Distrust. A Darkling has been injured in the past, and believes she’s injured others to survive. A Darkling trusted once, a long time ago, and anyone asking her to trust may be pushing her too hard. Trusting anyone, even a Darklings’ closest allies, following them blindly, causes the Darkling to suffer a Clarity break.
    This curse I see as being someone problematic in what is supposed to be a team game. A Darkling PC spending thirty minutes of game time establishing that they're going along with the plan without any trust at all every single time anything happens could get really annoying. I think it would be best to narrow the focus a bit rather than leaving it so open ended.

[edit]Maybe clarify the level of trust? Trusting that the Ogre will go smash faces while you execute your part of the plan is a much lesser degree of trust than allowing the Fairest to leave you behind because "trust me, I'll be back to rescue you."
    Last edited by proindrakenzol; 04-30-2015, 11:47 PM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

This curse I see as being someone problematic in what is supposed to be a team game. A Darkling PC spending thirty minutes of game time establishing that they're going along with the plan without any trust at all every single time anything happens could get really annoying. I think it would be best to narrow the focus a bit rather than leaving it so open ended.
      I'll clarify in the later draft. The point is, blindly following is the problem. Not having a Plan B. Not paying attention to exits. Putting your safety solely in someone else's hands. Fundamental, deep trust.

David A Hill Jr
      Freelance Writer

Comment

I'm gonna say it... Excellent write-up, completely unexpected but totally makes sense. I however now have a disliking for the Darklings, not for anything bad in the write-up, no... Just for what they stand for now... Workaholics that step whoever's in the way to get forward in life. Yeesh.

Still, I can see stories to be told there. I wonder how their hero, the one who abandoned them when they escaped their own Durance would think of their old comrade when they meet in Reality? That is an interesting story I'd like to see. The Face-Heel turn of what they are is something interesting too. I think playing through a Prologue where the Darkling is a mortal before being snatched up and leading to their Escape could be very rewarding.

As an aside, I noticed a slight potential typo in describing their appearance around the 'hair in eyes' part. I don't know if it was intentional though it says 'hair in hair in'.

Comment

Damn, this is good stuff.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
          Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
            I'm gonna say it... Excellent write-up, completely unexpected but totally makes sense. I however now have a disliking for the Darklings, not for anything bad in the write-up, no... Just for what they stand for now... Workaholics that step whoever's in the way to get forward in life. Yeesh.

Still, I can see stories to be told there. I wonder how their hero, the one who abandoned them when they escaped their own Durance would think of their old comrade when they meet in Reality? That is an interesting story I'd like to see. The Face-Heel turn of what they are is something interesting too. I think playing through a Prologue where the Darkling is a mortal before being snatched up and leading to their Escape could be very rewarding.

As an aside, I noticed a slight potential typo in describing their appearance around the 'hair in eyes' part. I don't know if it was intentional though it says 'hair in hair in'.
            Yeah, just a typo.

And despite the dislike, I find your take really positive. Thank you. I think I might struggle to play them, too. But I definitely have people in my crew that will love them that way.

David A Hill Jr
            Freelance Writer

Comment

This write-up so vividly describes my first Darkling character that it's uncanny.

This is fantastic.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
              Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

I like it a lot. Seemings have drama built in, it seems, and Darklings ask some hard things that make for delicious conflict.

Another thing I like, less on the trauma subext of Changeling and more on the psychological aspect, is how the Seemings seem to be partly about confronting things about the individual that holding them back as much as anything in Arcadia. It's a dangerous maturation to make, but it's also an important one, to learn when things in our lives are boons and structures that build us up and when they become chains that bind us in our own dramas and nightmares.

I'm becoming more and more, as I go along, a person who favors morality over practicality, but man do I sympathize with the Darklings on that subject.

EDIT: Crap, actually, I would be one of these if I were a changeling, if we go off of the Blessing. I am constantly being the one who makes those decisions in my apartment.
                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-01-2015, 12:48 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Female pronouns, please.

Comment

Themes of abandonment and isolation in conjunction with Bloody-Minded Pragmatism and amorality.

<Sigh>

I'll add that to the pile of reasons I should play a darkling.

(Seriously, though, this is exactly the sort of thing I like to play.)

Comment

Whelp, they were already my favorite Seeming.

Now they are even more my favorite Seeming.

Darkling Ifrit, here I come (a dread looming shape, dripping pitch and ash; her eyes are eternally-dying embers)

Burning what needs to be burned.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Doesnt the introduction contradicts the way of the Darkling??
                      I will follow you to the end of the earth if I must, but please, please, don’t ever turn your back to me.
                      That sounds a lot like blind trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                        Doesnt the introduction contradicts the way of the Darkling??
                        I will follow you to the end of the earth if I must, but please, please, don’t ever turn your back to me.
                        That sounds a lot like blind trust.

Ironically, that's not the quote that's in the current draft. That was a placeholder.

David A Hill Jr
                        Freelance Writer

Comment

I rather liked the placeholder quote, but maybe because I interpreted it as coming from someone who sees themselves as the scorpion in the fable of the scorpion and the frog. They're pleading someone they care for not to turn their back, because the Darkling can't trust themselves not to stab the person they're pleading with in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by indarkestknight View Post
                            I rather liked the placeholder quote, but maybe because I interpreted it as coming from someone who sees themselves as the scorpion in the fable of the scorpion and the frog. They're pleading someone they care for not to turn their back, because the Darkling can't trust themselves not to stab the person they're pleading with in the back.
                            That was the idea, more or less. But, we settled on a slightly different convention for these quotes.

David A Hill Jr
                            Freelance Writer

Comment

Originally posted by MachineIV View Post

I'll clarify in the later draft. The point is, blindly following is the problem. Not having a Plan B. Not paying attention to exits. Putting your safety solely in someone else's hands. Fundamental, deep trust.
                              What about a Pledge? If you want to have a game about foiling a loyalist's dasterdly plot, or about establishing your new life with the Motley as a self-help group - could you say that if eveyone has a Pledge the Darkling doesn't need trust and avoids the curse?

[edit]

Having read it, I feel that this draft is far far too specific.

This didn't read like a splat to me, but almost like one specific if rather cool charachter.

Lets start with the Background - to me it read as "All Darklings were loyal people in life". However you become a Darkling by betraying someone in order to escape.

A powerfully loyal person - like the housewife example in this write up - who betrays someone in order to escape Arcadia is a cool story. But what about the housewife's opposite, someone who marries just for the divorce settlement. Put them in Arcadia and it's likely they'll become a Darkling because creating false loyalty then betraying for self benefit is their modus operandi.

I think it's important that any charachter can become any Seeming depending on their Durance, to the point that I'm not sure there even should be a section on their pre-Durance life.

Moving on to The Escape - same issue. It's too specific. It puts a single event and says it's common to every Darkling's backstory. That event being that someone else abandoned them. I just don't think that should be the case. A Darkling could be someone who decided from day one that they'd do anything, and when the opportunity arose they did something terrible. Or maybe it was the Keeper just one day offered freedom if they betrayed another to changeling who was loyal to their fellow slaves and never doubted that loyalty in return, but the changeling made the snap decision to accept.

I think this section would be much improved if you just simply cut out the beginning and started with the sentence "she did what she had to do to escape". Remove everything before that, keep everything afterwords, and it would be great.
                              Last edited by The Kings Raven; 05-01-2015, 02:54 AM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                              My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                              Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Working...
                              X