No announcement yet.

Court Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I wrote up a tentative Mantle setup for the Rose Courts(Here if you forgot them!). I'm not a hundred percent sold on it. Also, I haven't figured out the Goblin Vows on each of them.

Also, obviously, I can't explain everything in this. If you aren't sure about something, ask me, and if I can chat about it, I will.

THAT SAID!

White Rose
    1-Dot: +1 Empathy
    2-Dot: Goblin Vow
    3-Dot: Rigid Mask
    4-Dot: Personal Approach
    5-Dot: +1 Willpower

Red Rose
    1-Dot: +1 Persuasion
    3-Dot: Sympathetic
    5-Dot: True Friend

Blue Rose
    1-Dot: Acute Senses
    3-Dot: +1 Initative
    5-Dot: Re-roll failures on Clarity Breaking Points

Black Rose
    1-Dot: +1 to Intimidate
    3-Dot: Danger Sense
    5-Dot: +1 Health

Gold Rose
    1-Dot: +1 Socialize
    3-Dot: Eidetic Memory
    5-Dot: Arcadian Metabolism
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-22-2015, 02:16 AM.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• What can I say about this? My hope is that these are ST options included alongside rich details on the Seasons and other (perhaps more unique?) court structures. As the risk of sounding lazy, I'm already at the end of my patience with tool-kit settings. As an ST I feel obligated to fill in plenty of details in WOD settings, way more than I ever did in classic WOD settings. Freedom to color outside of the lines is great, being handed a box of crayons and told to draw the next Mona Lisa....not so much. I like the option to default where and when I want so that the process is a little less exhausting. And as a player, I like the chance to delve into a book to give my basic concepts more depth. I'm not really looking forward to having to hold off coming up with my character until I get a rundown of the local setting factions from my ST. Worse, 90% of fiction is crap. Which means 90% of ST concepts is crap. I'm already wary of the day I'll be earning to play an Autumn Court magister while I'm stuck playing the jester of the Gumdrop Loli court or whatever. In short, I'm concerned that this edition is placing TOO MUCH responsibility on the ST being creative. There's an important distinction to be found between giving the Storyteller creative options and forcing creative obligations on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by nothri View Post
        What can I say about this? My hope is that these are ST options included alongside rich details on the Seasons and other (perhaps more unique?) court structures. As the risk of sounding lazy, I'm already at the end of my patience with tool-kit settings. As an ST I feel obligated to fill in plenty of details in WOD settings, way more than I ever did in classic WOD settings. Freedom to color outside of the lines is great, being handed a box of crayons and told to draw the next Mona Lisa....not so much. I like the option to default where and when I want so that the process is a little less exhausting. And as a player, I like the chance to delve into a book to give my basic concepts more depth. I'm not really looking forward to having to hold off coming up with my character until I get a rundown of the local setting factions from my ST. Worse, 90% of fiction is crap. Which means 90% of ST concepts is crap. I'm already wary of the day I'll be earning to play an Autumn Court magister while I'm stuck playing the jester of the Gumdrop Loli court or whatever. In short, I'm concerned that this edition is placing TOO MUCH responsibility on the ST being creative. There's an important distinction to be found between giving the Storyteller creative options and forcing creative obligations on him.
        Or you can just choose from one of the five pre-built settings, if that's what you want.

Also, the Storyteller isn't the only person expected to participate in Court creation. If you're playing with a particularly uncreative table, you should probably use a pre-generated court. I personally avoid playing with uncreative people whenever possible.

David A Hill Jr
        Freelance Writer
        Independent Game Designer

Comment

• The Seasonal Courts are still covered, and it's not like you can't use the old books.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            So, I wrote up a tentative Mantle setup for the Rose Courts(http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/changeling-the-lost/551489-court-creation?p=559072#post559072"]Here if you forgot them![/URL]). I'm not a hundred percent sold on it. Also, I haven't figured out the Goblin Vows on each of them.

Also, obviously, I can't explain everything in this. If you aren't sure about something, ask me, and if I can chat about it, I will.

THAT SAID!

White Rose
            1-Dot: +1 Empathy
            3-Dot: Rigid Mask
            5-Dot: +1 Willpower

Red Rose
            1-Dot: +1 Persuasion
            3-Dot: Sympathetic
            5-Dot: True Friend

Blue Rose
            1-Dot: Acute Senses
            3-Dot: +1 Initative
            5-Dot: Re-roll failures on Clarity Breaking Points

Black Rose
            1-Dot: +1 to Intimidate
            3-Dot: Danger Sense
            5-Dot: +1 Health

Gold Rose
            1-Dot: +1 Socialize
            3-Dot: Eidetic Memory
            5-Dot: Arcadian Metabolism
            Don't want to sound tiresome, but since goblin vows seems to be more relevant in this edition, is there someone in the Team who can talk us a bit about them, and how they tie to the Courts ?

Comment

• Not quite yet. It's being worked on.

Believe me, I asked about this not long ago.

Comment

• Hey ArcaneArts, curious question. In your examples on the courts you name the Maiden, The woodsman and The Wild One. Did I miss something somewhere, or did you just make them up as archetypes to understand the courts better?

Comment

• I needed words to contextualize the idea of the ritual based on Riding Hood and Beauty and the Beast, words the represented strong bases for a variety of ideas that could also capture Utena's ideas that are found within the Prince, the Princess, and the Witch. Originally, it was Maiden, Beast, and Huntsman. I traded out beast for Wild One because I felt like using Beast as a ritual title in a world where people identifies as beasts (and Beasts, and then Beasts) was awkward, and Woodsman instead of Huntsman because I traded part of the original conceit(part of the reason the Bulwark works is because the Courts hunt their own and therefore didn't need Huntsmen) off to the piecemeal freehold during the War.

On a simple basis, it lines up neatly-Maidens are for Little Red and Belle, Wild Ones are for the Wolf and Beast, and Woodsman are for Avenant(Gaston) and the Lumberjack. If I could find better words that fit the very broad symbol base I have in mind for designing the freehold, I'd run with that.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-27-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MachineIV View Post

Or you can just choose from one of the five pre-built settings, if that's what you want.

Also, the Storyteller isn't the only person expected to participate in Court creation. If you're playing with a particularly uncreative table, you should probably use a pre-generated court. I personally avoid playing with uncreative people whenever possible.
                    I'm personally going with Toronto, the level of complexity and politics of the court system for the Toronto Freehold is huge, you have 4 complex courts with internal factions, 1 rogue lost court plotting its rebirth, 2 local rebellion freeholds that oppose the main Toronto Freehold and each use a completely different court system, a human mystery cult tied to the Ivory Court, and the Hobgoblin politics of the huge Goblin Market in Toronto

On top of that is the usual threats and plots of Loyalists and Huntsmen, and the mortal we world.

I'm creative enough to come up with my own setting (I might as well, not to play but for creative expression), but I'd rather apply my imagination towards further fleshing out the Toronto setting with details about Toronto and my own creative twists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I'm personally going with Toronto, the level of complexity and politics of the court system for the Toronto Freehold is huge, you have 4 complex courts with internal factions, 1 rogue lost court plotting its rebirth, 2 local rebellion freeholds that oppose the main Toronto Freehold and each use a completely different court system, a human mystery cult tied to the Ivory Court, and the Hobgoblin politics of the huge Goblin Market in Toronto

On top of that is the usual threats and plots of Loyalists and Huntsmen, and the mortal we world.

I'm creative enough to come up with my own setting (I might as well, not to play but for creative expression), but I'd rather apply my imagination towards further fleshing out the Toronto setting with details about Toronto and my own creative twists.
                      Agreed.

I'm going to be running a game soon, and I'm debating running Toronto instead of Tokyo, which I would be doing to flesh out my own work a little. I really enjoyed the Toronto setup.

David A Hill Jr
                      Freelance Writer
                      Independent Game Designer

Comment

• The Niagra Falls Freehold.

The America Court and the Canada Court.

The America Courts emotion Patriotism, Canada Court emotion is Doubt.

Symbols of the America Court, the Bald Eagle, the American part of Niagra Falls, symbols of America, and Symbols of Faith.

The Canada Court symbols are The Beaver, the Canadian section of Niagra Falls, Symbols of Canada, and Symbols of Skepticism.

The Seasonal Court in Fort Errie has given the Niagra Falls Freehold alot of problems lately, which has driven it to make an alliance between the Niagra Falls Freehold and the Toronto Freehold to deal with Seasonal Court (Seelie Court) rebellions and the threat posed by they're international allies.

Another Court idea, the Freehold of Montreal, aka the Erotic Dungeon Freehold.

The Court of Dominance, The Court of Submission, and The Court of the Switch.

Court of Dominance emotion, Pain, symbols the whip, the riding crop, the scream, and leather.

The Court of the Submissive, aka the Slave's Court, emotion pleasure, the hand cuffs, ball gags, rope, bondage tape, silk, chokers, and orgasms.

The Court of the Switch, Court emotion is anticaption, feathers, blind folds, more intimate sex toys, laughter.

Friendly Rivaltry/Alliance with the Toronto Freehold and Niagra Falls Freehold, at war with the Seelie Courts of Quebec City.

Just to show I can come up with my own ideas for interesting courts although I have no plans for actually using them.
                        Last edited by Omegaphallic; 08-27-2015, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Agreed.

I'm going to be running a game soon, and I'm debating running Toronto instead of Tokyo, which I would be doing to flesh out my own work a little. I really enjoyed the Toronto setup.
                          Actually one cool thing you could do is a dual cities setting.

I'm toying with the idea that Toronto and Miami would go well together, Toronto and Miami have more combined hooks then you'd think, more connections.

I'd call it the Snowbird Chronicles, and build a kind of cold war plotline, with plots inside plots, the Miami Court uses the Seasonal/Seelie Rebel Freeholds, and sympathisers in the Silver Court, to spy and undermine the Toronto Freehold and the Toronto Freehold using snowbirds in the Cult of Mithra, and antisummer forces in the Miami Freehold to spy and undermine them in turn. The unofficial Ruby Court would be trying to turn up the heat, manipulating both sides to increase the conflict and the Ruby Court would be secretly being influenced by Loyalists, unknown to the regular serious members trying to rebuild the Ruby Court, the Loyalists in turn would be manipulated in turn by group of Rogue Huntsmen, who serve an unknown none True Fae Enitity with its own agenda.

Just some starting ideas.
                          Last edited by Omegaphallic; 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Oh? Beyond their own characters (and ambitions for the courts) I was kind of imagining player-participation in creation might strain the delicate balance of groups and mythos. I don't think Arcane could have made the Rose Court so deep by committee. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Barbrarilen View Post

Oh? Beyond their own characters (and ambitions for the courts) I was kind of imagining player-participation in creation might strain the delicate balance of groups and mythos. I don't think Arcane could have made the Rose Court so deep by committee. :-)

I think the idea is that everyone at the table has some creative input, but then the ST fleshes things out. ArcaneArts' Freehold is pretty conceptually unified, much like a Seasonal Courts Freehold would be. That's still possible with a group having creative input, but you have to have a group that's willing to cooperate and agree on a solid theme. Toronto's Courts are far more disparate, really only being joined by the stroytelling ritual that makes up the Freehold's Bulwark. I would think that creating a Freehold with vastly disparate Courts brought together under a broadly applicable and inclusive Bulwark would be even easier to do as a group endeavor. Both styles have their advantages. With a more cohesive theme for a Freehold, you get more shared culture and traditions and a sense of unity even among the different Courts, which allows you to really focus on exploring their customs and ideals. With widely different groups united by a flexible Bulwark, you get the drama of culture clash and, likely, a more polarized, divisive atmosphere, which is great for a politically-focused game.

Comment

• Side note to ArcaneArts:

Have you considered giving the Blue Rose Court something like Patient or Good Time Management instead of Acute Senses for their Mantle 1 benefit? Fits better with the "lessons of patience and haste" bit, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X