Inspirations for Lost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirations for Lost

Here's my Inspirations section for Second Edition.

http://theonyxpath.com/changeling-th...-inspirations/

David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer
    Independent Game Designer

The music link isn't working. :/

I will never have enough Changeling music.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      The music link isn't working. :/

I will never have enough Changeling music.
      Weird. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlph0iL_Ivo

David A Hill Jr
      Freelance Writer

Comment

Inspiration for me is Deep Space Nine.

Garak as a Darkling

Jadzia Dax as a Fairest.

Worf as Orge

Miles O'brian and Nog as Wizen and Vic Fountan as Wizen Ministral.

Benajmin Sisko as a Grimm.

Odo as an Elemental.

Quark as a Beast.

The Wadi as Risktakers.

There are even Onieromancy episodes sort of, not to mention the holosuits as a metaphor for dreams.

They're is even briefly a being that plays a pact making fae.
        Last edited by Omegaphallic; 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I don't post often, read everything though, I desperately love Changeling. I just wanted to quickly ask about the inspirations however.

Reading the list of inspirations you are drawing from for the new edition, I just wanted to ask if you are drawing on the old origins for changeling tales, at least in Europe. Oisin and Niamh, Tam Lyn, Thomas the Rhymer, and the Voyage of Brandon being the big ones. If you are pushing away from themes of mental illness with the second edition, I really would love to suggest them. Changeling has always seemed to have a strange lack of connection with Ireland and Britain in the published material, I thought this would be a good moment to see if these connections would be opened.

For an example of how connected Changelings were to the region, there is reference to a man changeling testing a woman, laying her on a hot shovel, in Tipperary, just at the beginning of the twentieth century.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
          The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
            I don't post often, read everything though, I desperately love Changeling. I just wanted to quickly ask about the inspirations however.

Reading the list of inspirations you are drawing from for the new edition, I just wanted to ask if you are drawing on the old origins for changeling tales, at least in Europe. Oisin and Niamh, Tam Lyn, Thomas the Rhymer, and the Voyage of Brandon being the big ones. If you are pushing away from themes of mental illness with the second edition, I really would love to suggest them. Changeling has always seemed to have a strange lack of connection with Ireland and Britain in the published material, I thought this would be a good moment to see if these connections would be opened.

For an example of how connected Changelings were to the region, there is reference to a man changeling testing a woman, laying her on a hot shovel, in Tipperary, just at the beginning of the twentieth century.
            I'm not pushing away from mental illness, per se. I'm just touching it with a more delicate hand. It's not "madness".

But yes, we've been doing a lot of fairy tale reading, from all over the world.

David A Hill Jr
            Freelance Writer

Comment

Originally posted by MachineIV View Post
              I'm not pushing away from mental illness, per se. I'm just touching it with a more delicate hand. It's not "madness".

But yes, we've been doing a lot of fairy tale reading, from all over the world.
              That sounds brilliant, I am very glad to hear it. I was always so disappointed that first edition barely touched on the real-world genesis of Changeling myths. The old core book only mentioned Thomas the Rhymer and Tam Lyn in one sentence passing. With Niamh and Oisin, and The Voyage of Bran as being the sources (as far as I know) for the altered flow of time in European Fairylands, being entirely left out as far as I can remember (though I very well could be wrong). Where other splats touched on their real-world genesis far more often, even just to debunk or restructure them into the outlook of the game line, Changeling always felt like it was avoiding it.

I have also thought the social practice of 'removing' infants, children, or adults believed to be Changelings (in game terms, they would be the Fetches) in both Ireland and Wales would have been something the game could have touched on to better root itself in its real world origins. Mortals knew about Changelings and Fetches, and were actively hunting them.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
              The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

Now I don't like to tell you that you are missing something very important... BUT OH MY GOD YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT UNDER GAMES!

Where is the big bad wolf?!

Seriously, this game is like... PLAY IT IF YOU LIKE CHANGELING YOU LITTLE...!

Here is a synopsis for you: PLAY THE FRIKKIN GAME!

Music is sweet as hell too!

(Seriously, there is a talking pig in this game. Just check it.)

EDIT: It also touches an interesting aspect which I never found enough of in my changeling games... People remembering things that happened during their captivity and maybe what they did to each other. How will the beast hound feel about the kennel-master ogre that whipped and beat them every day on the orders of their keeper when the two of them are free and spending time together in a freehold?
                Last edited by A_Newfie; 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Newfie View Post
                  Now I don't like to tell you that you are missing something very important... BUT OH MY GOD YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT UNDER GAMES!

Where is the big bad wolf?!

Seriously, this game is like... PLAY IT IF YOU LIKE CHANGELING YOU LITTLE...!

Here is a synopsis for you: PLAY THE FRIKKIN GAME!

Music is sweet as hell too!

(Seriously, there is a talking pig in this game. Just check it.)

EDIT: It also touches an interesting aspect which I never found enough of in my changeling games... People remembering things that happened during their captivity and maybe what they did to each other. How will the beast hound feel about the kennel-master ogre that whipped and beat them every day on the orders of their keeper when the two of them are free and spending time together in a freehold?
                  I'm a huge fan. Oddly, I didn't really like Fables as a comic. But Wolf Among Us was really good. I think I will add it to the list.

David A Hill Jr
                  Freelance Writer

Comment

Originally posted by MachineIV View Post

I'm a huge fan. Oddly, I didn't really like Fables as a comic. But Wolf Among Us was really good. I think I will add it to the list.
                    When my grandchildren grow up, I'll tell them I had an influence on the second edition of Changeling the lost!

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                      There are actually several stories that are similar to elements of the Lost. "A man from Lios Póil" describes a man who is abducted by the Sí/fairies and made to serve them.

Eventually he escapes when they leave their fort to abduct somebody else. He attempts to wrestle the guardian goblin to leave, during the fight he accidently rubs some fairy material on one of his eyes, allowing him to see in the dark and he defeats the guard. Making his way home, he finds his own funeral occurring as the fetch left in his place has died. He does convince his family that he is the real one, but is forever left with one eye able to see the Fae as they move in our world.

(Although in some versions of the story, he has his uncle punch the eye out of his head!)

There are also stories of pipers are abducted and made to entertain the fairies against their will, returning later with the ability to play Fae music. Often this leaves them outcasts (they will naturally burst into the Fae music at festivals, haunting others) and they often become alcoholics to forget it.

Comment

On the video game front, I think the Alan Wake games are a great source of inspiration for Changeling. It starts with a strange abduction and features long tracks of wilderness, doppelgangers with shadowy powers, and the act of trying to fight free of a narrative. Plus the Dark Presence is one of the more perfect examples I've ever seen of a Fae as described in Equinox Road.

Comment

Curious about movies like Labyrinth, granted it is obvious, but it fits so perfectly with Changeling even if it has a happy ending and is somewhat lighthearted for WoD...

Comment

Originally posted by Madfox11 View Post
                            Curious about movies like Labyrinth, granted it is obvious, but it fits so perfectly with Changeling even if it has a happy ending and is somewhat lighthearted for WoD...
                            Labyrinth and Pan's labyrinth are both wicked, even if Labyrinth is more on the lighthearted side.

Comment

I'm always really inspired by the band Caravan of Thieves for Changeling (and WoD in general). The song "Sister Went Missing" from Funhouse sounds exactly like a Fae abduction and escape, but from the point of view of those left behind. A Gentry comes to town, heralded by bells and balloons, and no one can stop It taking one little girl. The girl's family tries to get her back, blaming the odd Mr. Hill, and taking their bloody revenge on him. Which is all fine, until the girl comes home...

Comment

Working...
                              X