No announcement yet.

[Motor City Breakdown] A playable Changeling setting for Detroit, Michigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any changes I make will be done within this document (though at some point I'd like to turn it into a nice-looking PDF in the style of Venice Unmasked or Dream Catchers), so you could absolutely link to this Google Doc from your wonderful website!
    Done. =)
    With quotes, you're usually okay even if the work is copyrighted; fair use allows quotations of other works (so long as it's not, like, the entire thing).
    What Ace said.

Kismet's WOD - D&D - C:tL - M:tC

Comment

Thanks so much! I'm really glad you like it. If your players want to try out the setting, I'd be interested to hear what kind of chronicle you run, and how it all pans out. Do you keep your notes online, by chance?

Two NPCs for each Court seems like an awful lot of extra work, especially since I mainly planned for the Courts of the Wheelhouse to be antagonists rather than player-friendly. It was my hope that players would either help design entirely new Courts, or else form new seasonal Courts which are totally separate from the corrupt and belligerent Old Courts (e.g., True Spring vs. Vichy Spring). Besides, I actually felt that most of my best ideas were for the Courtless characters who work outside the court system.

1) I figured that Detroit is an unusually difficult place for the players to live and operate, so it would only be fair to throw them a bone like this. Plus, cheap real estate is one of the few things that's really drawing people to the city, so I thought it would make sense to have a fae analogue of that phenomenon.
      2) Good suggestions. I'll add 'em to the document.
      3) I thought a djinn would be too obvious, but I like your idea. Let me mull it over; he might find his way into the PDF.
      4) Alright, I'll take it out. Wasn't sure about it in the first place.
      5) I like your idea better. I'll change it to affect physical rolls, or else just remove it entirely (a hunchback isn't as disturbing as, say, a withered hand or a lazy eye).
      6) Well then, I guess it stays!
      7) I'm sure I can find some way to justify Ringmasta Ray as a Snowskin. Michigan is famous for its long winters, after all. Maybe he ran afoul of a wendigo or something.

Well, since KismetRose seems to agree with you, I guess I'll put the quotes back in. You're right, it's pretty unlikely that they'll sue me, and really I'm doing them a service by advertising their book. (I might not have time to edit anything for a few days, though, because my wife and I are in the midst of moving to a new house).

Author of Motor City Breakdown, [New Seeming] Mechanicals, and [Entitlement] Divers of the Cerulean Pearl
      Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
      Major Contributor to Tenebrous Seas

Comment

I'll let you know! I'm part of an ongoing Changeling LARP that changes towns every few years, and we're at the point where we're switching again, so I'll pitch it. If we do end up going to Detroit, I can take notes on how it goes and post them here or something. (It might happen that the STs are interested in running a similar town, but not Detroit itself; would it be okay to use aspects of the setting like that? Would you still be interested in hearing about how it goes if that happens? Due to the size of the game, the STs like to have control over what's in the area and not, which is harder to do with an actual extant city than with a made-up one.)

Fair enough about the Court characters. Honestly, all the NPCs for this are really good.

Comment

I'm glad you like the NPCs. I worked really hard on them, especially Calliope. She was by far the most difficult NPC I've ever written, because she's the linchpin that holds the setting together. Calliope is like Hope, buried at the very bottom of a Pandora's Box full of bad situations and damaged people.

You are free to use my material in whatever way makes your LARP more fun for your players. If you feel like taking notes and putting them online, I would of course be interested to read them, but I will only observe. I have no desire to steer your chronicle, only to see where it takes you.

I had a few moments to spare today, so I've added the epigrams back in at the start of each chapter, and made the other suggested edits. Still working on the djinn, though; he'll come later.

Edit: is it crazy for me to not use my screen-name for this? I guess the mask has already slipped, but still: bad idea, or am I overthinking it?
          Last edited by Super_Dave; 04-12-2016, 08:00 PM.

Author of Motor City Breakdown, [New Seeming] Mechanicals, and [Entitlement] Divers of the Cerulean Pearl

Comment

If parts end up getting used, I'll let you know! As for using your real name, it hadn't registered for me. I guess it depends on how worried you are about real-life privacy and how likely a google search is to pick it up? Like if it was me I wouldn't be worried, but I don't know if your situation is different (if you work at a school, or are currently searching for a non-gaming job, or something).

Comment

Mostly I wanted to have more material in my writing portfolio, because I'm trying to get out of the restaurant industry. I'm not embarrassed at having written a supplement for a game I enjoy, I'm more concerned about the two worlds "crossing over". But I suppose that anyone who was really motivated could discover my "super-secret identity" with a little research, and it seems kind of silly to self-censor just because some unknown person in the indefinitindefinite future might potentially use it to harass me online. It's not like I put my Social Security Number in the doc or anything.

Comment

In addition to adding quotations/epigraphs to the beginning of each chapter, I've now fixed it so that clicking on the title of each chapter in the Table of Contents takes you right to the beginning of that chapter (which should make navigation easier). I've also added a few useful and interesting maps to the original post; I didn't want to put them in the doc itself because I'm not sure whether they're licensed for free use.

I also ruled that Karagiozis' Flaw (Hunchback) still imposes a -2 penalty on Social rolls, but only if the other person(s) can see him and aren't accustomed to his appearance. And I changed his concept from "self-made kleptocrat" to "self-made plutocrat," to make him seem less outright villainous.

Comment

Working...
                X