Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What First Comes To Your Mind When You Think Of The True Fae?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What First Comes To Your Mind When You Think Of The True Fae?

For me, the first mental image is usually a tall and elvish jester of sorts, with a Mien like Dimentio and a laughter like that of the Skull Kid.

After that, I think of figures like the Slender Man (especially as portrayed here), GLaDOS and the Mysterious Stranger.

When it comes to their bargains, I often think of Dr. Facilier and Ursula. More specifically, I imagine them singing "Friends On The Other Side" and "Poor And Unfortunate Souls", respectively.

So, I guess my favorite True Fae tend to be like Disney villains to some degree, but with a strong eldritch dose.

Let Him Speak.

Depends on where they are, broadly speaking. Outside of Faerie the adjective I'd use to describe the commonality of their builds is "insubstantial."

As an aside, the title of this thread is coincidentally relevant to the Underwood freehold of Chicago.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Depends on where they are, broadly speaking. Outside of Faerie the adjective I'd use to describe the commonality of their builds is "insubstantial."

As an aside, the title of this thread is coincidentally relevant to the Underwood freehold of Chicago.
      Insubstantial how? Are they a little transparent and protean?

I don't remember where this Freehold is written. Can you please tell me?

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
        Insubstantial how? Are they a little transparent and protean?
        Small or thin or not all there, though the needs of subtlety tend to confine the third to personal encounters and sneakery.

Spiderleg hands and feet of fog and all that.

I don't remember where this Freehold is written. Can you please tell me?
        The freehold didn't have a proper name when it was last discussed in public.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I think of what would happen if cthulhu hollowed out Tinkerbell, The Wizard of Oz, the big bad wolf, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, the Enchanted Forest, and Zues, and then wore them all like a suit of clothing, and tried to play their roles, and was bound up by the wyrd in the process.

Think under all the Fairy Tale indentities is something alien and terrifying, something none fae, that uses fairy tales or stories as a way of interacting with a level of reality it doesn't really understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
            I think of what would happen if cthulhu hollowed out Tinkerbell, The Wizard of Oz, the big bad wolf, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, the Enchanted Forest, and Zues, and then wore them all like a suit of clothing, and tried to play their roles, and was bound up by the wyrd in the process.

Think under all the Fairy Tale indentities is something alien and terrifying, something none fae, that uses fairy tales or stories as a way of interacting with a level of reality it doesn't really understand.
            Now I'm just imagining a cosmic horror from beyond using the above characters as sock puppets on the end of its tentacles or whatever. So... mission accomplished?

Comment

Originally posted by Knowbody View Post

Now I'm just imagining a cosmic horror from beyond using the above characters as sock puppets on the end of its tentacles or whatever. So... mission accomplished?
              Not exactly, these cosmic horrors don't have forms, naked humans can percieve them or conceptualize them, making them more alien the most Lovecraftian Gods, so they make deals with the Wyrd in Arcadia, to gain titles and once they have titles, to interact with stuff, and only then do they have forms as humans know it, but those fairy tail forms are just a custome the alien being puts on.

So maybe you think your dealing with Tinkerbell the True Fae and she acts like on would expect Tinkerbell to act, mostly if on the extreme side, but there awrongness born of have no real understanding, because Tinkerbell has the soul of an alien cosmic horror that still stuggles to understand the world beyond its roles.

So it does weird hurtful things not really grasping the meaning of what it does.

It why it can be Tinkbell, Neverland, and Peter Pan's Sword all at once.

Comment

World, from "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" last episode, could be a good example of a Fae.
                Last edited by Raistlin; 06-09-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I typically like to keep my Gentry vague when describing them in games I am running, but if you are asking what comes to mind..

I would say something like Satan from the film Adventures of Mark Twain (1985). A strangely dressed body with no head, holding a mask that emotes and moves when the being speaks. It has the power to alter its own little corner of reality, and seems to have thoughts and opinions that clash against the status quo. Unknowable, alien, horrific or beautiful, perhaps both. Always an air of magic about them.

Comment

Madoka Witches.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Mary Sues.

Specifically, the story is all about them, everything else in the story exists to give them an opportunity to prove how great they are. And when I say "story" I mean story as in "Storyteller system".

If you are enslaved by or even get too close to a True Fae then you become a secondary charachter in their story. You are no longer Alice, with her own Aspirations and story. You're just the arm candy that proves what a manly man the True Fae is. Or you're the witch the True Fae kills to prove how heroic he is.

But there is room to manoeuvrer within the confines of the role. The arm candy cannot leave or do anything that might emasculate the True Fae, but she could take a younger and prettier ward and escape through being discarded*. The witch cannot hide from the True Fae's persuit, nor can she defeat him in their climactic confrontation. But she could brew five cunning curses in her cauldron and carve a champion for each, and a final climatic champion to stand over the likeness of her dead body then escape while the True Fae is busy with his heroic quest to break the curses**.

* Darkling Seeming.
                      ** Wizened Seeming.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                      My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                      Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                        Mary Sues.

Specifically, the story is all about them, everything else in the story exists to give them an opportunity to prove how great they are. And when I say "story" I mean story as in "Storyteller system".

If you are enslaved by or even get too close to a True Fae then you become a secondary charachter in their story. You are no longer Alice, with her own Aspirations and story. You're just the arm candy that proves what a manly man the True Fae is. Or you're the witch the True Fae kills to prove how heroic he is.

But there is room to manoeuvrer within the confines of the role. The arm candy cannot leave or do anything that might emasculate the True Fae, but she could take a younger and prettier ward and escape through being discarded*. The witch cannot hide from the True Fae's persuit, nor can she defeat him in their climactic confrontation. But she could brew five cunning curses in her cauldron and carve a champion for each, and a final climatic champion to stand over the likeness of her dead body then escape while the True Fae is busy with his heroic quest to break the curses**.

* Darkling Seeming.
                        ** Wizened Seeming.
                        I really like this. Mary Sues, inciteful.

Comment

Deranged ,Aloof, Charlatans / and Royalty. To Monstrous beast from old folklore. Alien beings that merge with the dreams and nightmares of humanity. Can they be reasoned with? No, only bartered or negotiated with at best. And it better be something to their liking. Gotta play on their wants and curiosities, if you can. But Ultimately you can never trust them.

Certain characters come to mind like. Hades, "The Beast" from Into the Unknown, Master Mirror O'Dimm from Witcher 3, Mr. Mxyzptlk from DC Comics .

"I am a daydreamer and a Night thinker."~

Comment

A being bound by their own tale who can only act as their role allows and as such they are confined and can not grow beyond their role. That is why they prize changelings because they themselves can not do the wonders a human can, the true fae lack the freedom to chose their path. What there were will always be what they are, any apparent change is not true change but the flow of the story. The true fae only exist within the confines of their story and can never live as they wish to if this wish falls outside of their story.

however I may be wrong, I haven't read all too much about the true fey and more just skimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                              Mary Sues.

* Darkling Seeming.
                              ** Wizened Seeming.
                              Definitely an aspect I'm working with in regards to Ziggy and his former Keeper, Helvetica. Helvetica's taken up the narrative that she's the noble warrior fighting the villainous sorcerer who hides behind minions (the freehold/Autumn court). It's become a part of Ziggy's Personal Approach: A huntsman gains Yearning if they force him to act directly or expose himself to protect his 'game pieces.' As long as he can keep throwing spells, curses, and "minions" at Helvetica and her huntsman, she can't attack him directly. As a consequence, Ziggy is very careful to warn subordinates about the dangers of working for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X