Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What First Comes To Your Mind When You Think Of The True Fae?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spinnerling View Post
    I guess that's my biggest beef with CtL. I love to use True Fae as villains against mortals - tricking them to sign pledges, or sending them to Arcadia, or outright killing them - as the stories of old. Peter Pan, the old woman from Beauty and the Beast who turns the castle, malevolent genies in bottles, Santa Claus.

Fun Fact: in the original story of Aladdin, the Genies were servants to Rocs. The reason why Aladdin ran out of wishes was because he asked the Genie to kidnap a Roc egg for him, which they took as a grievous insult!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Fun Fact: in the original story of Aladdin, the Genies were servants to Rocs. The reason why Aladdin ran out of wishes was because he asked the Genie to kidnap a Roc egg for him, which they took as a grievous insult!
      Rocs? like the big eagles/hawks? hmm, didnt know that

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

Try bird of prey so big that it feeds full-grown elephants to its chicks like worms. Plus, apparently has magic besides the magic that lets it so flagrantly violate the square-cube law.

Only being of the air spoken of in the Middle East that is bigger is Ziz, Lord of the Skies, ruler of all that flies and similarly-sized cousin to Behemoth and Leviathan. I'm pretty sure he eats rocs for breakfast
        Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 05-07-2019, 11:47 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

Yeah, the original story is far different from the Disney one.

Alladin is an incompetent buffoon, who desperately needs the Genie's help to do anything right. He's also not bound by a 3 wish limit, and is presumably able to have an unlimited number of wishes granted, until he makes the mistake of wishing for a Roc's egg. That's the final straw that makes the Genie decide to up and leave his ass. I presume that shortly after this incident, all the fame and fortune Alladin had amassed through the Genie's power quickly begins to dry up, and he's back to being an impoverished thief once more.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            You realize that is why the hedge and hobgoblins and hedge-ghosts exist right? You can have fae of tonnes of different sorts in changeling, it's just true fae are grander than just things like huldra, trolls, garden gnomes, and giants. True Fae are citadels of the giants, armies of trolls, the king of gnomes, the huldra that seduced winter, etc.
            I like to say that changelings themselves are faeries but that their anglophone jargon seems to have a bias against the idea, hence the "true" monicker. By contrast, compare the reference to "elves and elven-kings" in the Iceland section from the new corebook. I came up with the expression of "higher/lower fae" to refer to this. In fact, I think one of my favourite things in the game is that there isn't a black and white division between humanity and faeries but an espectrum of sorts, and the faerie world is full of many different kind of things that we can call fae.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevään Neito View Post

I like to say that changelings themselves are faeries but that their anglophone jargon seems to have a bias against the idea, hence the "true" monicker. By contrast, compare the reference to "elves and elven-kings" in the Iceland section from the new corebook. I came up with the expression of "higher/lower fae" to refer to this. In fact, I think one of my favourite things in the game is that there isn't a black and white division between humanity and faeries but an espectrum of sorts, and the faerie world is full of many different kind of things that we can call fae.
              I don't really understand how this relates with the statement you quoted.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Comment

I think I was too sleepy to make sense of it :s

Comment

When I think of the True Fae I think of the Primordial Gods spoken of in Hesiod's Theogony. These are beings that are functional worlds, objects, people, and nature combined into a single will that pulls itself into existance from nothing but its own will to exist.

Take Gods like Chaos, Tartarus, Gaia, Nyx, Ererubus, Hermara, Aether. Compared to the Titans and Olypmians the Primal Greek Olds are alien, Fey even. Beings dwell within them, yet they still when they choose can take anthromorphic forms when they choose.

I've never understood why the Greeks saw Chaos as a Goddess that created the Universe, but built no temples to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I've never understood why the Greeks saw Chaos as a Goddess that created the Universe, but built no temples to her.
                    As the saying goes, creators are only truly appreciated after they're dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Chaos was never a goddess, maybe genderless and shapeless.

''The Night left the Cosmic Egg in Erebus, when Chaos, Gaia, Tartarus (Gaia's viscera) and Eros were created. In other versions, Chaos existed before all, and from this his children were created, Gaia, Tartarus, Eros or Phanis, Night and Erebus.

Chaos = infinity, emptiness, void, the inconceivable
                      Erebus = absolute darkness, Gaia = earth, Eros - Phanis = love - light
                      Nyx (night) was born of Chaos and was the mother of the following entities:Erebos
                      Ether
                      Day
                      Grace
                      Styx
                      Sleep
                      Death
                      Forward ?
                      Last edited by Story Letter; 05-11-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Note that Greek Χάος means "void" or "emptiness"; according to Hesiod, Erebus and Nyx "came into being out of the void", while Aether and Hemera then "were conceived after joining in love". I don't see chaos as a creator so much as a medium that other things arose from.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          There are plenty of other games that tell that sort of story, though. Why bother treading old ground when there's so much more beyond the horizon of "Happily Ever After"?
                          Are there though? I mean one reason for WoD/CoD to have a core book is for vanilla mortals to find all the things in the Darkness, but I can't say I have seen many pen & paper games surrounding the courts of the Fae outside Changeling - and barely even in Changeling. CtL focuses on life outside of Arcadia, and Tolkien elves take the Fae's place in most other games.
                          I'm not very well-versed in games, though, so I'd gladly take recommendations of such games in a PM if you know some.

Comment

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                            You realize that is why the hedge and hobgoblins and hedge-ghosts exist right? You can have fae of tonnes of different sorts in changeling, it's just true fae are grander than just things like huldra, trolls, garden gnomes, and giants. True Fae are citadels of the giants, armies of trolls, the king of gnomes, the huldra that seduced winter, etc.
                            I think you're quite right at that. Maybe I just haven't seen them used that way.

Comment

• Clive Barker's Hell Priest.

Yes, I am slightly odd.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• When I think about the Gentry and the Keeper two things come to my mind.

First, the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Fae are in their essence emotional vampires. They harvest glamour through emotion, the more intense the better, so do changeling. They care nothing about you, your suffering, your adoration, your whatever; your emotions are their meal.

Second, they need you. There is something in the human being that changelings were that was useful for them. Perhaps a book can only be read under the light of true love and your love for your child fits perfectly. Or your biased sense of justice could make you a perfect assassin. Or your voice has the perfect vibration to help your Keeper sleep. There is something in you that makes you necessary for them. One way or another, they need you, so in yourself and your durance are lots of answers about the Keeper and yourself. I find this last point of view the more interesting from a narrative perspective and character buildup.
                                Last edited by dourden; 06-01-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X