Contracts Errata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts Errata

This is some basic errata that Isabella and I developed for our Walking Shadows campaign -- just contracts that seemed to not work terribly well or had flaws.

Dream 4: Cobblethought

In brief, this contract can be used to produce simple objects or phenomenon. A wall, a flash of light, a rock, a wind, a sword, etc. Nothing alive (or seemingly alive) and no complex objects (moving parts or the like).

If producing a physical object, Successes determine how much is produced, according to the table for the Contract of Elements 3. If producing a phenomenon, it can apply a penalty or bonus equal to (Successes). If targeting someone (usually with a damaging effect like a fireball or such), it subtracts both Defense and Armor.

It lasts for (Successes) turns. On an ES, it lasts for (Successes) minutes instead.

Darkness 2: Night's Subtle Distractions

The Success and Exceptional Success effects now read as:

Success: An area within (Wyrd x 10) yard radius of the Changeling gets darker and quieter. Shadows twist and grow, the sun hides behind a cloud, lights flicker, etc. The darkness inflicts a -2 penalty on all visual perception and ranged combat rolls.

The changeling is always immune to his own darkness, and can make up to (Wyrd) other people immune as well, provided they are in physical contact with him and remain so. The clause lasts for one scene.

Exceptional Success: The penalty increases to a -3.

Eternal Winter 3: Riding the Devil's Jawbone

Success: The character blankets everything within (Wyrd x 2) yards under a cloak of intense cold. Anyone other than the character within that field, which moves with him, suffers a –(Successes) die penalty to all actions while in the freezing aura. Multiple changelings invoking this clause do not increase the level of cold, and particularly warm clothing or fur can reduce the penalties (usually by 2).

Penalties immediately disappear when the aura fades or when a person steps outside the aura, but return at full current strength if the person is again caught inside it. The aura moves with the changeling, and lasts for the rest of the scene.
    Exceptional Success: Extra successes are their own reward.

Omen 3: Reading the Portents

Success: The changeling describes a course of action and asks what it will result in for a given character -- it can be the changeling, or anyone else within sensory range. The Wyrd gives the changeling a brief vision that states whether the action will result in Woe, Weal, or is neutral/mixed blessing for the target character, along with a cryptic explanatory clue.

So, if a course of action would cause a character to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff, the Wyrd would return 'Woe' and flash a vision of drowning in dark waters. The Wyrd is also capable of judging things, so if a course of action causes the target to have a flat tire, buy a lottery ticket at a gas station, and then wins the lottery, then it returns a result of 'Weal' and gasoline-scented money.

In game terms, a changeling who uses Reading the Portents may re-roll a single dice pool during the remainder of the adventure, provided that the dice pool is in some tangential way related to either the course of action or to the character who's portents are being read. A changeling may have only one unused re-roll at a time -- they can use this contract five times to test out different courses of action, but will 'bank' only a single re-roll.

Usually, this power sees a fairly limited time into the future -- most Woe or Weal come to pass within a matter of days or weeks, though particularly potent or certain destinies can be seen from years out.

Exceptional Success: The Wyrd offers a further clue, either an idea of how to bring about / avoid a Woe/Weal outcome, or a further explanatory note for mixed/neutral outcomes.

Eternal Spring 2: New Lover's Kiss

The Action, Success, and Exceptional Success sections now read as follows:

Action: Instant

Success: The character causes a light rain, possibly out of a clear sky. The rain is too mild to inflict penalties, but can be used to help put out fires, water plants, provide drinking water, ruin evidence, or wash away trails (inflicting a -2 to Investigation or Survival (Tracking) rolls in the latter two cases). The rain lasts for one scene.
    Exceptional Success: The character can cause the rain to end earlier, if she likes.

Eternal Spring 4: Yesterday's Birth

The Cost, Success and Exceptional Success effects now read as:

Cost: 3 Glamour or 3 Glamour + 1 Willpower dot
    Success: The target object grows to full adult size, as it would under optimal care. The object ends its growth as if it were in the height of Spring, so plants are flowering. Insects lay grubs in this time (if they are able), which also grow. Subjects of this Contract require a great deal of sustenance during or after the growth, equivalent to about three full days’ worth. Plants in soil of only moderate fertility or less may drain their resources and soon begin to wither.

This clause can be used on non-invertebrate animals, but the changeling must pay one Willpower dot. This cost cannot be averted by invoking the clause’s catch. This contract cannot be used on humans.
    Exceptional Success: The target object or animal is in the peak of health, and does not require additional sustenance. Furthermore, plants will continue to grow even in sub-par soil.

Eternal Spring 5: Mother of All Deaths

The Success section now reads as follows:

Success: Plants around the changeling grow at an extraordinary rate, quickly enough for vines, roots and the like to grow around people and entangle them. Each turn, the character may designate one grapple attack on any creature or target within 10 feet of a plant in her sight in addition to her normal action. She may sacrifice her normal action to designate two grapple attacks, and if she does that she may also sacrifice her Defense for a third.

Plants have a Strength equal to the Changeling's Wyrd, a Brawl equal to (Successes), and a +1–3 equipment bonus for the plant (vines are excellent, branches less so). They can only grapple and hold, they cannot deal damage.

This lasts a number of turns equal to the changeling’s Wyrd rating. Over the next hour, all but one year’s worth of the new growth dies off.

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
    New System and Setting Material

I always felt that Omen 3 needed to be a copy of Precognition from second sight.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Refresh my memory on what it does?

I'll be honest and say that as a GM, I really hate precognitive powers (this is distinct from prophecies that may be integral to a plot). Basically, they're very hard to adjudicate well. If they're too explicit, they can wreck the plot. If they're too vague, they're pointless. And they rely the GM on knowing what's going to happen, which very often I don't! PCs are chaotic, they muck up plots, and sometimes I simply launch a thing at them and watch how they react, with no planned out plot.

So the Omen 3 revision was an effort to narrow the scope of the precognitive power, making it easier to handle, while at the same time giving it a mechanical aspect so that it still has some teeth. End result? Power that's easier on the GM to use, yet is more reliable and useful for the PC.

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
      New System and Setting Material

Comment

You ask one question per success about a defined future event like "my next meeting with my keeper". It's basically Diviner's Madness without the madness. (I like the opportunity to play a mad seer, but with an entire Oracle Kith and a ton of Fate themes I feel Changeling really needs the opportunity to play sane seers)

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by NeoTiamat View Post
          Refresh my memory on what it does?

I'll be honest and say that as a GM, I really hate precognitive powers (this is distinct from prophecies that may be integral to a plot). Basically, they're very hard to adjudicate well. If they're too explicit, they can wreck the plot. If they're too vague, they're pointless. And they rely the GM on knowing what's going to happen, which very often I don't! PCs are chaotic, they muck up plots, and sometimes I simply launch a thing at them and watch how they react, with no planned out plot.

So the Omen 3 revision was an effort to narrow the scope of the precognitive power, making it easier to handle, while at the same time giving it a mechanical aspect so that it still has some teeth. End result? Power that's easier on the GM to use, yet is more reliable and useful for the PC.
          You could go the way of Mage's precognitive abilities where they just show you where things are currently headed, not what necessarily will happen. It's like Scrooge's visions of Christmas Yet to Come in A Christmas Carol. It also notes that player actions in response to the prediction are especially likely to invalidate it.

You can also keep things sane by requiring objective questions, or objective yes-or-no questions.
          Last edited by Strill; 11-14-2013, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X