Dual Kith Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Kith Update

I've had a few questions about Dual Kith in 2E. Here's what we're looking at now, different from the original copy I shared:

Dual Kith ••
    Effect: Your character’s kith is a unique combination of two different kiths. Whether she’s a flamesiren-windwing who takes the form of a brilliant phoenix, or an elemental who combines airtouched and waterborn in a body of living mist, she benefits from the Blessings of both kiths. If she identifies as one kith, both, or a new kith altogether, the benefits of the Merit do not change.
    Taking this Merit after character creation can be as dramatic or casual as desired. The addition of a new kith can be triggered by a change in identity, ideals, goals, even a negative or traumatic event. It’s a meaningful change, but whether or not the change itself stems from a meaningful source is entirely up to the player. The magic the Keepers use to bend body and mind is highly unstable -- who can say what might spark that volatility anew?
    When taking this Merit, choose one kith as your primary kith. When calculating your kith advantage, your character’s effective Wyrd has one fewer dot, to a minimum of one. The secondary kith’s Wyrd is considered two dots fewer, to a minimum of one as well.

David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer
    Independent Game Designer

I'm surprised it's only two dots... and now I have to completely restructure my court's mantles.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

Cool, nice idea !

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
        I'm surprised it's only two dots... and now I have to completely restructure my court's mantles.
        I wanted to make it a little more accessible, since I added that drawback.

David A Hill Jr
        Freelance Writer

Comment

Cool. I didn't have any problem with the older version, but if this helps keep Dual Kith a thing, I'm cool with it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Seems pretty cheap, but I like that.

Comment

I think it's a nice balance of the issues with the original version with keeping the spirit of the idea alive.

The weakness is going to be variable, since many of the preview Kiths don't use Wyrd, but for those where Wyrd matters, this is a significant choice of versatility over power.

Comment

Question: How does Potent Kith interact with this?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  I think it's a nice balance of the issues with the original version with keeping the spirit of the idea alive.

The weakness is going to be variable, since many of the preview Kiths don't use Wyrd, but for those where Wyrd matters, this is a significant choice of versatility over power.
                  I'm going to see to it that all use it at least in some capacity.

David A Hill Jr
                  Freelance Writer

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Question: How does Potent Kith interact with this?
                    It'll add to your main kith, but not your secondary one. I'll note that.

David A Hill Jr
                    Freelance Writer

Comment

Well... I didn't imagine it would be quite that elegant of a solution, but consider all my concerns expressed in the old thread about 2e Dual Kiths officially addressed. You amaze yet again good sir.

Comment

Have to say, this is an impressively useful middle ground. I'm always a bit leery of auto-grab merits beyond status or resources and once my players found it, they were pretty much always dual-kithed. This being cheaper, but having a solid draw back makes it a much more interesting merit in my opinion.
                        Last edited by Gullinbursti; 09-22-2016, 03:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

So the merit is exchanging effectiveness against versatility? I'm not sure about this. Two weak abilities are rarely worth a single strong one.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                          Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

The merit is very well balanced, and its cheapness gives more space for other merits. The new Seeming quest is a good template for a extra kith quest.
                            Last edited by Omegaphallic; 09-22-2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteros View Post
                              So the merit is exchanging effectiveness against versatility? I'm not sure about this. Two weak abilities are rarely worth a single strong one.
                              I wouldn't call the effective Wyrd reduction two "weak" abilities. The preview Kiths so far (even just looking at the ones with Wyrd in their calculations since the others are getting tweaked) are totally worth having at Wyrd 1; frequently because Kiths offer a few bonuses only one of which relies on Wyrd.

They're going to be weaker than if you stick single Kith, but that doesn't make them weak in comparison to everything else.

Which is addressing something a lot of us had problems with in 1e and 2e continuing along the same path in the previews: Dual Kith just got you double the powers for no drawback besides cost, and the cost was generally always less than the potency of the Merit to keep it accessible to people that wanted it for aesthetic reasons over mechanical ones.

Now Dual Kith is a choice that you'll want to consider rather than a no-brainer Merit you're going to take unless there's a compelling reason you can't spare those Merit dots.

Comment

Working...
                              X