Kiths and Seemings Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
    also, I have a question about Cyclopean about crafting. isn't the new crafting rules in the Chronicles of Darkness a single role with up to a -5 penalty. so isn't the Cyclopean using outdated rules?
    The Build Equipment rules do not wholly replace the use of Skills to make things via extended actions and "make something as an instant action" is meaningfully distinct from "make something with an ambiguous amount of downtime between 'a few minutes' and 'several hours' culminating in an instant action."

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      The Build Equipment rules do not wholly replace the use of Skills to make things via extended actions and "make something as an instant action" is meaningfully distinct from "make something with an ambiguous amount of downtime between 'a few minutes' and 'several hours' culminating in an instant action."

oh I'm not saying its a bad Kith. It's quite possible my favorite Kith, but I'll admit that I was under the impression that all crafting rolls were a single roll.
      also instant action creation is amazing.
      so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

Dearheart's blessing still refers to Needle and thread and it doesn't say how long their touch saps compsure, no duration.

Comment

What is the limit on a Beast's pursuit? Pursuing a love interest, sure. But what about an opponent's Defense at the end of a Chase? The penalty from being Blinded?

Comment

Honestly, I'm no sure why but the Weisse Frau are my favorite kith so far. I guess the idea of a changeling that was sent out by their Keeper to kidnap others, thinking it was the right thing to do is appealing to me. Also the implication that they're the wicked witch that lures children away into the woods with promise of treats, only to become empowered to protect children when they themselves escape is really quite powerful, as if their very nature is pushing them towards redemption for subjecting children to a fate perhaps even harsher than their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Gray View Post
              Honestly, I'm no sure why but the Weisse Frau are my favorite kith so far. I guess the idea of a changeling that was sent out by their Keeper to kidnap others, thinking it was the right thing to do is appealing to me. Also the implication that they're the wicked witch that lures children away into the woods with promise of treats, only to become empowered to protect children when they themselves escape is really quite powerful, as if their very nature is pushing them towards redemption for subjecting children to a fate perhaps even harsher than their own.
              Interesting perpective. I'll add that the Weisse Frau are probably the most likely kith to be Seemingless. Just don't return to Arcadia when your kidnapping assignments up.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Interesting perpective. I'll add that the Weisse Frau are probably the most likely kith to be Seemingless. Just don't return to Arcadia when your kidnapping assignments up.
                Yeah, that's the sense I'm getting too. And we know that the Unseemly are looked at with suspicion anyway, so combined with their job in Arcadia I would imagine the Weisse Frau are pretty mistrusted among changelings.

Hmmm, imagine a Weisee Frau meeting an escaped changeling that she actually helped bring to Arcadia...imagine if a local changeling lord requires them to be part of a Motley together...that has potential.

Comment

Question about all those Kith descriptions that mention clothes in them. Does that mean that unless they're wearing something Hedgespun or otherwise magical, the Mien will always show that set of clothing no matter what the Changeling is wearing?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I'm getting the feeling from some of these descriptions that most people taken to Arcadia just die due to the hazards of their Realm. The ones that even survive to be Loyalists were already either extraordinary or extraordinarily lucky

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

"I'll add that the Weisse Frau are probably the most likely kith to be Seemingless. Just don't return to Arcadia when your kidnapping assignments up."

That is sort of what the rules imply, but it just doesn't sound, or feel right. The rules do say that in order for a changeling to have a seeming, they have to physically escape from Arcadia, through the Hedge. I think the much more important part of being Unseemly is the failure in “making the hard choice”. If you are a Loyalist and been allowed to leave, you haven't made the “hard choice”. If you were just carried along while other Lost escaped, you haven't made the “hard choice”. You are Unseemly.

The Weisse Frau kidnapper who decides to protect her human charges on earth instead of turning them over to the Fae at the risk of her own life – she's a Fairest. The Hunterheart hound who turns his animal instincts on the Wild Hunt and its Master and runs off bloody into the earthly forest – he's a Beast. It doesn't matter where they escaped from, either Arcadia or somewhere on Earth. They made their hard choice, the choice to be free no matter the cost, and to be hunted for the rest of their lives. In some ways, it could even be said that those kinds of changelings, the ones who might had already been granted some level of independence, are making an even harder choice. A slave chained in a cell and tortured has far less to lose by trying to escape than the slave who is already granted some measure of independence.

What is a Seeming?

She makes a choice, decides it’s time to get out, and on her own or with the help of others, she breaks away some part of herself that the Keeper used against her. She remakes herself, at least in part, to survive, to cope, to escape. She grabs agency over herself, and changes the one thing she can – herself – and in doing so, she finds a way to escape. That change, that survival mechanism is her seeming, and it is who she appears to be.

Nothing there requires that the changeling physically escape through the Hedge from Arcadia in order to have a Seeming. What is important is that these changelings have reclaimed their agency, have a true sense of self, and that the survival mechanism, and therefore the Seeming, has appeared.

Comment

Except if this Weisse Frau is ordered by her TF to go pick up some humans for him, she'd be an Unseemly Loyalist. The True Fae willingly lets her go to serve him in the real world. Just because she changes her mind about her mission doesn't change the fact that she's Unseemly.

Comment

Why wouldn't it? She made the choice to be free.That's what the essence of a Seeming is, the physical expression of that choice. The TF didn't "let her go", he sent a slave to do a job. How is it any different from a changeling who is a cloud (in Arcadia) and "changes her mind" about being a cloud, and decides to be free? The TF makes them what they are, gives them a job to do and they do it - until they decide not to.

Comment

It's an interesting question because on one hand, it is a definite act of the Weisse Frau's own agency, in defiance of her Keeper's orders, which is exactly what Seemings represent. On the other hand, she didn't make her way back to Ironside through the Hedge, making it rather difficult for her to have left an Icon there. And that's a pretty important part of Seemings too.
                            Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-03-2016, 06:41 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

"On the other hand, she didn't make her way back to Ironside through the Hedge, making it rather difficult for her to have left an Icon there."

That's an excellent point! The paradox there though it that -

"Pursuing Huntsmen are always considered to have an Unseemly character’s Icon"

How can the Huntsman have something that shouldn't exist??

Maybe the answer is simple - before a TF would allow one of their slaves out to the Ironside, they take some part of the changeling to guarantee their return - the Icon. Even for changelings who do escape through the Hedge, if they regain their Icon -

"However, with time, Icons fade back into Arcadia."

So everyone's Icon ends up there, and it might make sense to say that a changeling who escapes while on earth has the Marked condition, rather than being automatically Unseemly.

Comment

"Pursuing Huntsmen are always considered to have an Unseemly character’s Icon"

How can the Huntsman have something that shouldn't exist??
                                I think the intention is that they don't need an Icon to use powers that would normally require it if the target is an Unseemly Changeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X