Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilgrims of the Endless Road (2E)

"I will kneel at the altar of my own weakness no longer."

Nearly everyone, if asked, will claim they want to change, to give up their failings and to improve themselves. Most of those people are lying. Change is terrifying, and a person's weaknesses and foibles are as much a part of them, treasured and held close, as their strengths. Faced with the potential for self-improvement, they fear the possibility of failure, and thus never try to begin with. Others take their first steps down those pathways, only to find them too difficult, the price for their change too high. Most find a place where they are comfortable, where they can find a simple balance between strength and ease.

The Pilgrims of the Endless Road are not those people. As far as they are concerned, the journey of self-improvement is the most important journey that a person can take. Changing politics, changing the world, none of these things matter if you do not first master yourself, because the weak can only create further weakness, and the world is full of weak people. As far as the Pilgrims are concerned, very few people have the raw strength of will to understand the need for constant growth, to never become complacent or content with what you have made of yourself. For those few, however, the Pilgrims wait with open arms.

The Pilgrims hold to a philosophy of self-control and striving, a nearly-religious devotion to their ideals that admits no weakness. As far as they are concerned, no one should stop trying to improve themselves until they are perfect, and since perfection is unattainable, the process of self-improvement is an endless road. To walk the Road, as they put it, is to train the body and mind, to study the mysteries of magic to fine-tune them, to dedicate yourself to your own achievement. There are those who consider it a selfish philosophy, because it prizes self-improvement, and disdains asking for help and those who can't keep up. As far as the Pilgrims are concerned, however, it is a simple logic. Everyone should work to improve themselves. Anyone who can't doesn't deserve to have the world handed to them on a silver platter.

Of course, there are those who are intimidated, or even outright frightened, by what the Pilgrims represent. Envious of their capabilities, they think that there must be hidden shortcuts or dark secrets that mask their intent. The Pilgrims laugh at these people, but they aren't suised. Such whispered stories are only more proof that the masses aren't able to reach for what they think they deserve.

This mixture of intense self-focus and indifference to the beliefs of others leaves the Pilgrims without much of the political power that comes with many Entitlements. Where others provide great power or vast connections, the Pilgrims provide little more than a way to focus themselves and to find others that they understand. This is as they like it, however. One of the core tenets of the Endless Road is that one must choose to walk it; with no desire to gain large numbers of converts or to change the world, political power is nothing but a diversion from the Endless Road.

Titles: Brother/Sister
    Prerequisites: Wyrd 3, No Attribute at 1

Joining: Becoming a Pilgrim is not an easy task. The Entitlement demands absolute dedication from its would-be members, and rarely offers membership directly. More commonly, someone who is impressed by the demonstrated abilities of an existing Pilgrim seeks to join the order, and existing Pilgrims must decide if they are worthy. The first stage in proving yourself to a Pilgrim is to demonstrate that you are not a slave to your weaknesses. Anyone who displays physical addictions, mental obsessions, or similar failings must overcome and abandon them to even be considered for membership.

If someone is considered worthy of testing, the Pilgrims advance to the second stage, in which they put their prospective newcomer through an astonishing array of tests, challenges, and hardships to determine their strengths and weaknesses. Passing every test is by no means required. Everyone has weaknesses, after all, and these tests serve as much to find areas where the new recruit will have to train as to find their strengths. Once the tests are complete, the final trial is put into place. As a rule, this involves forcing the new recruit to train and focus on one area of their talents where they are seriously lacking; they can train however they like, with whomever they like, and have a month to focus and dedicate themselves to improving.

At the end of that time, a challenge based around their former weakness is put before them, and they must pass it to advance. Those who fail the test are sent away. If they wish to re-apply, they may do so in two years' time, at which point a new series of tests will be undergone and a new challenge will be issued. Those who are accepted are sworn in during a simple ceremony, by the Pilgrims who trained and tested them originally. New members of the order swear never to let their dedication lapse, and take on the features and traits of the Pilgrims as they symbolically cast off their old weaknesses.

Approach: All Pilgrims strive for self-improvement, but the road to perfection requires knowledge in different fields. Huntsmen or True Fae abiding by the Entitlement's Approach must confront them through a series of three challenges, each tailored to a given skill of the changeling's. Often, these tests involve endeavors that the Pilgrim excels the least in.

Mien: The physical sign of the Pilgrims is perfection; in a way, that is often subtly off-putting. A proper Pilgrim has no hairs out of place, no stubble unevenly directed across the skin. Their hands don't develop calluses and their legs are never too hairy -- everything is symmetrical, just developed enough without being ostentatious. Buttons never hang loosely on their shirts and loose threads never dangle from their sweaters. This perfection doesn't make them look more attractive, however -- with most people, in fact, it is faintly disturbing, as though they are just a little too perfect to be real.

Background: There are a thousand ways to walk the Endless Road, and the Pilgrims come from every walk of life and every area of focus. However, some things can be said as generalizations about the order. For one, Pilgrims draw from those who believe firmly in the ideals of the Road; lip service to the principles of the Entitlement are not sufficient for entry into the order, nor would someone who managed to make that modicum of effort be satisfied with the position in which she found herself. On the other hand, most of those who will become walkers of the Endless Road have a firm belief in their own superiority that only a few recognize as another failing to work to overcome.

Organization: Most of the time, the Pilgrims have no organization to speak of. Their philosophy is an intensely personal one, and their lack of interest in the political sphere as a group prevents them from gathering to use whatever clout they might have gained. Furthermore, there is no need for Pilgrims to gather to accomplish their puse, and thus it is uncommon for more than a few of them to appear in any given freehold.

At the same time, however, there is a deeply spiritual aspect to their quest, one that any Pilgrim will say is not understood by most of those who surround them. Because of this, the Pilgrims keep in touch with each other. They pass on names and abilities, gossip about new recruits or failed tests, and come to visit one another from one freehold to another. When a Pilgrim indentifies a weakness in herself and seeks to overcome it, the most common trainer she will seek out is another Pilgrim. Similarly, when she is approached by a potential recruit, she will refer him to whatever one of her Brothers or Sisters she feels will best train him, rather than simply trying to do so herself.

In particular, the Pilgrims have yearly gatherings, where every Pilgrim in a region will come together to discuss their progress, what they have learned, and what they seek to advance. They strive against and encourage each other -- after all, competition is among the most effective ways to improve. These gatherings will typically hold a dozen or more Pilgrims, from hundreds or even thousands of miles away. These gatherings rotate from freehold to freehold, always in a new place to prevent stasis from setting in, and the exact date varies from year to year. Individual Pilgrims will often go to different meetings in different years, to meet new followers of the Path and learn new ways to approach their endless quest.

Ultimately, however, the Pilgrims remain solitary people by nature, able to converse with each other but equally comfortable spending time training or researching alone. Despite their gatherings and conversations, they keep to themselves, and trust that others won't waste their time with trivialities when important matters wait to be attended to.

Privilege: Perfected Body
    Pilgrims are treated as having the benefits of Dual Kith, and only treat their Wyrd as one dot less for their secondary kith. If a Pilgrim purchases the actual Merit, he treats his Wyrd as two dots less for their tertiary kith. As a rule, Pilgrims always develop new kiths that balance out their former flaws, especially those that they had to face as part of their final ordeal. Furthermore, this kith never influences her Mien to the same degree as her primary kith (or kiths, if one has Dual Kith).

Rumors of the Endless Road:

• Many of the Pilgrims come to consider humanity itself to be a weakness. They have decided that the Gentry are demonstrably powerful, far more so than mere Lost, and that they should strive to become like them. They are not loyalists, because no Gentry would subordinate themselves to another, but they are something far more dangerous, because they seek to cast off their empathy and mortality to become monstrous gods.

• The Pilgrims, in their endless quests, have uncovered tokens and Hedge fruits that allow them to transcend their mortal limits, becoming ageless and immortal. They keep their newfound powers a secret, leaving their old lives behind as people start to wonder why they aren't aging, and only allowing the elder members of the order the benefits of the secrets that they have discovered -- after all, why give such gifts to those who would only waste them?

• Many of the Pilgrims are willing to go several steps past simple self-improvement in their quest for perfection. They kill Hedge Beasts, and use arcane magics to steal the creatures' power and add it to their own. Some people say they can even do this to changelings that the Pilgrims feel are wasting abilities that could be better used by others.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 10-09-2016, 02:47 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Here it is A simple conversion for one of my favorite Entitlements. Critique, as always, is appreciated.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I like it, well done.

I think most Entitlements should be easy to convert, except the Lost Pantheon because of the way Clarity works now, and maybe Vizers because at Wyrd 10 your already immortal so it feels redunant, but for Vizers that a minor problem compared to Ancients and the changes to clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
        I like it, well done.

I think most Entitlements should be easy to convert, except the Lost Pantheon because of the way Clarity works now, and maybe Vizers because at Wyrd 10 your already immortal so it feels redunant, but for Vizers that a minor problem compared to Ancients and the changes to clarity.
        I'll probably tie the Goblin Vow Merit to the Viziers, somehow, seeing as I recall a few Goblin Chronicles House Rules which went that angle.

As for the Ancients, perhaps Wyrd 6 could be the requirement? I cant quite recall what their privilege was.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

It was partly tied to their low Clarity, where they're clarity perception penalty became a bonus instead and the bonus perception got added to their wyrd for effective life span, but 2e Clarity is might to be swingier, so that presents a problem and Clarity does far more now then it did in 1e.

Even themetically Clarity has differences I think from 1e. Its the Clarity issue that's a problem, every thing else the Ancients get is easy, even the original write up suggests what the approach should be.

Ancients got +2 to every dice roll against the True Fae and those who served the True Fae, easy to convert to 2e largely as is, and they treated being worshipped by mortals as like their Court emotion when it came to Harvesting Emotions.

The problem is that they lost they're powers if their clarity got to high, so the swinginess of Clarity means that risk having too high clarity or the possiblty of hitting zero clarity.

I thinking drop clarity as a requirement focus entirely in favour of focusing more on persistant delusion condition would be better.

Like okay how about this for requirements Wyrd 6+, Peristant Delusion Condition, Mantle 5.

Benifits: +2 to all die rolls to fight, resist, and deal with the True Fae and they're servants, • Long of Days Merit, the penalties of the Delusion condition instead become bonuses, and they can Harvest Glamour from acts of mortals worshipping them as long as they're true form is revealed, using a Presence + Occult roll, treat the results as if it was they're court emotion.

Approach: The Ancients enjoy divine rivalries, to do the approach, treat them as a divine rival, undermine the faith of their worshippers, challenge them to prove their godhood and then insure they fail said challenges.
          Last edited by Omegaphallic; 10-09-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I just realized I thread jack you, I'm sorry, its just that you did Pilgrams of the Endless Road so well, that you might have some insites for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

I'll probably tie the Goblin Vow Merit to the Viziers, somehow, seeing as I recall a few Goblin Chronicles House Rules which went that angle.

As for the Ancients, perhaps Wyrd 6 could be the requirement? I cant quite recall what their privilege was.
              I was not apart of that thread, what did they do with Goblin Vows for Vizers?

Comment

I just realized I thread jack you, I'm sorry, its just that you did Pilgrams of the Endless Road so well, that you might have some insites for me.
                It's fine In fact, those are some interesting notes you put up there. The prerequisites certainly seem apt. And the same can be said for the Approach. Regarding Clarity, though, I'd say dropping it is a good idea. Just because you're a god doesn't necessarily mean you are detached from your followers. Clarity for one of the Ancients could then be used to represent how 'grounded' they still are towards mortals.

For everyone's sake, though, let's move general brainstorming for Entitlements in here?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I was not apart of that thread, what did they do with Goblin Vows for Vizers?
                  Can't really recall at the moment. You're welcome to getting the supplement here, though.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-chronicles-2e

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

It's fine In fact, those are some interesting notes you put up there. The prerequisites certainly seem apt. And the same can be said for the Approach. Regarding Clarity, though, I'd say dropping it is a good idea. Just because you're a god doesn't necessarily mean you are detached from your followers. Clarity for one of the Ancients could then be used to represent how 'grounded' they still are towards mortals.

For everyone's sake, though, let's move general brainstorming for Entitlements http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/changeling-the-lost/833213-entitlements-2e"]in here[/URL]?
                    Excellent idea and thanks for the links.

Comment

Working...
                    X