Me's a Crowd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me's a Crowd

So, this is a bit of a thought experiment. How could an Unchained rig up an independent Cover? Not just the "can been seen and make small talk" of Alibi, but the "Demon" being in two or more places at once, with their Cover(s) carrying out separate actions and lives near 24/7.

Might chain of Gadgets do the trick? Alibi for the detached Cover, Remote Uplink for input (so the Cover isn't operating "blind"), something else for more elaborate actions than Alibi allows? Maybe a Lambda with Alibi or Decoy and Co-Location?

How might you allow a sufficiently ambitious Unchained to operate their own Hive-Mind?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

There is also the exploit in I
    Interface that separates you into cover and demon in twilight that you control simultaneously and independently. So this on top of some of the other powers you've mentioned could possibly achieve what you want. I agree that a lambda may be the best way to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
      There is also the exploit in I
      Interface that separates you into cover and demon in twilight that you control simultaneously and independently. So this on top of some of the other powers you've mentioned could possibly achieve what you want. I agree that a lambda may be the best way to achieve it.
      Decoy, yeah. But what to pair it with? Alibi, for splitting off Covers? Decoy lets you exist separate and simultaneously, while Alibi lets you split the others off? Maybe Co-Location so you "are" where all of your Covers are at the same time? Near-Fielding Merge, so instead of integrating many-into-one, it splits one-into-many?

Comment

1) Decoy to operate indipendently and simultaneously.
        2)Alibi to have more than one cover active. Probably done as a near field effect (that can only work paired with the above) so each cover is more than just running on autopilot.

Co location isn't needed as that'd already be covered by decoy.

I don't think you'd need anything more than Decoy + Alibi to get multiple covers at the same time. I'm not sure if it could fuction 24/7 but you could possibly make it that way.
        The only potential drawback is I'm not 100% sure if the detached covers could use embeds or exploits. "All Embeds and Exploits are used by the Twilight form for purposes of aetheric resonance, but if the two forms are present in the same area the demon can still choose to have the Cover receive the benefits of a power." Because of this though it'd achieve your main goal it may be at the price of otherwise being effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
          1) Decoy to operate indipendently and simultaneously.
          2)Alibi to have more than one cover active. Probably done as a near field effect (that can only work paired with the above) so each cover is more than just running on autopilot.

Co location isn't needed as that'd already be covered by decoy.

I don't think you'd need anything more than Decoy + Alibi to get multiple covers at the same time. I'm not sure if it could fuction 24/7 but you could possibly make it that way.
          The only potential drawback is I'm not 100% sure if the detached covers could use embeds or exploits. "All Embeds and Exploits are used by the Twilight form for purposes of aetheric resonance, but if the two forms are present in the same area the demon can still choose to have the Cover receive the benefits of a power." Because of this though it'd achieve your main goal it may be at the price of otherwise being effective.
          Yeah. The Demon using that method would have to move in Twilight between their Covers for actual power use. Though, maybe adding Co-Location as a 2nd Order Lambda (Decoy + Alibi + Co-Location) would let your Twilight "self" be near all your Cover's simultaneously.

Any other tricks or combinations anyone can think of? Urban Legend? Going Native?

Comment

I rewrote the 'Alibi' embed for a game where I was comfortable with redefining it in a more extensive and useful way. Maybe my work will be useful to you!

ALIBI – NEW TEXT

A person being in two places at once is generally a violation of the laws of physics, and yet demons manage. This power doesn’t actually enable the demon to duplicate himself but rather gives his Cover a small amount of autonomous programming, allowing it to act as a pseudo-awareness to establish an alibi. If a demon has multiple Covers, he can choose which one establishes the Alibi (it doesn’t have to be the Cover he’s currently using).

A Cover left to its own devices is out of the control of the Demon and may engage in activities that the Demon would not approve of. For example, if the specific cover has a problem with alcoholism, having it appear within a bar over several scenes will probably result in a bender. It is therefore important to place Cover intelligently and to account for its safety and wellbeing. The Demon may remember what the Cover experienced only after an Aether has been spent to assume that Cover in the traditional fashion after the Alibi is dispersed.

A Cover cannot lie infallibly in the same way a Demon can but fortunately does not understand the Demon or its own nature. Therefore it is unable to explain these things regardless of the persuasive techniques employed. A Cover has access to all the personal information and memory implied by its history, and cannot recall any personal memories or details pertaining to other Cover identities or the Demon. If the Cover is confronted with evidence that they are not ‘real’ they may become convinced this is the case and even take actions against the Demon which created them (though this is very rare).

Cover can engage in actions with the Demon’s ability scores but does so passively – it does not engage combat, conversation or other activities that can be considered out of a typical routine. Left to its own devices, Cover will simply pass time in unexceptional routine. Cover can be instructed to perform mundane or routine tasks without difficulty, but cannot grasp anything outside of the norm for the constructed identity. Cover comes to understand the desires of the Demon as something equivalent to a Motivation, without perceiving the source or questioning the validity of those Motivations. Cover is drawn to the purposes of the Demon which created it even if it believes it is in open rebellion with its creator.

Cover functions, metaphysically, as a human being without a soul when subjected to mystical scrutiny. It does not register as a Greater Demon or Demon of any type, nor does it register as a spirit entity. Save for the missing soul, Cover is identical to any normal human being. If a soul is provided to Cover by some means, it is effectively burned and ceases to be a part of the Demon, though this is of course a very unusual event.

The primary limiting factor of Alibi is the potential for serious Compromise checks. Every time an Alibi interacts with the world directly enough to merit a roll, a Compromise check is necessary. The first of these checks is undertaken with a + Primum bonus but each subsequent check cumulatively degrades this bonus by a single point. The Demon suffers the consequences of a failed compromise check, not the Cover. Many other circumstances which involve an Alibi can also involve Compromise checks.

If an Alibi is slain, the cover is Burned, unless the Cover’s body can somehow be brought back to life… either through traditional medicine or mystical means. If a Cover’s body is resurrected in this way, a Compromise check at a -4 penalty is necessary. A cover cannot be reclaimed by a Demon unless the Demon is able to perceive the cover and establish its physical location.

Dice Pool: Manipulation + Stealth

Action: Instant
            Roll Results
            Dramatic Failure: The demon’s Cover is damaged. The Demon cannot access this cover for a period of time equal to his typical Glitch duration.
            Failure: No effect. The demon cannot use this Embed to establish and alibi for the target scene.
            Success: The demon separates himself from his Cover for a short time (one scene).
            Exceptional Success: The demon separates himself from his cover for a longer period (until dispersed).

Comment

Working...
            X