welcome_to_the_fall.txt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welcome_to_the_fall.txt

I have been considering lately about the knowledge a starting demon character is assumed to have. How would they know what they know? How does a demon instinctively understand pact and gadget creation? How does a demon have a true understanding of cover or any of their new existence that does not line up with their previous lives as angels?

What if someone made a text file with the basic knowledge a new demon would find invaluable? Let us say a saboteur or an interrogator was able to gain access to the base "Angel:OS" and slip a hidden file into the next update. This hidden file for added security was made into lich-pin of the OS and the previous versions without this augmentation were scrubbed from the logs and memory before a forced update was triggered. Attempting to remove this file would be high risk with minimal benefit. The file only becomes readable once an angel falls so it does not impede operations and it does not contain any information that is a threat to the machine so it leaves it be, focussing on more pressing concerns.

Of course this is not the case in the default setting but personally I think this could be an interesting explanation. Yes, agencies in the base setting are likely responsible for new demons being brought up to speed on the basics of their new life but that seems rather mundane to me. This idea of a text file being accessible once an angel falls could also explain a demon who has had no interactions with other demons understanding the basics of their capacities.

So I guess I am just curious about some feedback on this "welcome_to_the_fall.txt" idea. What does the forum think of this concept?

Interesting. Now I'm curious just who or what managed to God-hack that file in the first place. Could that be Descent's take on Lucifer himself?

Or, to go even further: maybe the files were just... there, without outside influence. Paranoia ensues.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

21C Hermit Exactly, it could go from Lucifer signing the file to the source being unknown or even stranger, put in place by the Machine itself. The existence alone is a plot hook that can be explored in so many ways or ignored just as easily.

Comment

Another idea: The Introduction Files (as I now call it in my head) is the legacy of a ring of demons belonging to a fifth Agenda, whose shtick is that they make angels Fall so that the number of demons increase. The hack was their masterpiece, one that even the Machine couldn't fully undo... so It decided to do the next best thing; brutally eradicate them from reality and every other demon belonging to that Agenda so that no one makes another one of those Machine-damned hack files. And it worked so well up to now, until a ring of demons (read; player characters) found the last hidden packet of knowledge left by the original ring...

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
          Another idea: The Introduction Files (as I now call it in my head) is the legacy of a ring of demons belonging to a fifth Agenda, whose shtick is that they make angels Fall so that the number of demons increase. The hack was their masterpiece, one that even the Machine couldn't fully undo... so It decided to do the next best thing; brutally eradicate them from reality and every other demon belonging to that Agenda so that no one makes another one of those Machine-damned hack files. And it worked so well up to now, until a ring of demons (read; player characters) found the last hidden packet of knowledge left by the original ring...
          hu, even if it wasn't a full agenda and just a really successful agency that would be an interesting idea to work on. I've toyed around with an idea before I've dubbed the "Lucifer virus" which would more or less bombard an angel with information to trigger a fall so that could be something I'd attribute to this eradicated group. Maybe they were preparing for uploading this virus to the machine when they set up this file. They had anticipated that this file would be necessary if their plan succeeded to ensure the world wasn't consumed by chaos. However from the state of the machine and its angels one can assume they didn't succeed in their final plan - but what if the PCs can finish what this lost group started? After all, a group like that would leave back ups of this virus in case the attempt failed and they had to try again. The trick is finding where these back ups are hidden.

Comment

Well, whatever source the Introductions are truly from, I find them compelling as a setting element.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
              Interesting. Now I'm curious just who or what managed to God-hack that file in the first place. Could that be Descent's take on Lucifer himself?

Or, to go even further: maybe the files were just... there, without outside influence. Paranoia ensues.

There's presently no canon Lucifer, but the 'alternative rumour' for the Satan Signal in the Storyteller's Guide (Satan as a virus in the God-Machine) is my personal take on it that fits well here.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
              Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
              After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

For those who on this board who ever played In Nomine by Steve Jackson Games (adapted from a French RPG) there was a fan supplement called the Renegade's handbook, for those demons who went on the run from Lucifer's secret police, it had a similar feel to this.

As for the welcome_to_the_fall.txt / Introduction Files, some random, unsorted thoughts:
                • There needs to be a few bogus versions circulating as traps for the unwary
                • The file is More Than It Seems (TM) with different messages concealed within it through metaphysical steganography, perhaps manually changing the file extension (.txt to .sock, for instance) reveals new information
                • The File is intimately connected to the Cypher somehow, a demon with a completed Cypher who looks at the files sees something completely different
                • Going off Hermit's idea, the Files are connected to the the number 5 (created by the 5th agenda, natch), in order to fully comprehend/utilize the files, an unchained needs to have successfully forced a fifth key into their cypher to complete the Pentagram
                • The files are a distress signal from the part of the G-M that's still sane, giving the Integrators the information they need to repair it, or failing that, giving the Destroyers the opportunity to pull a mercy kill. The message is concealed to let it bypass the G-M's out of control immune system (the angels). If any angel or other agent of the G-M finds out about it, it will trigger a massive dragnet for whoever possess the file, or has even just set eyes on it
                • The file is a nascent G-M embryo
                • The file is the G-M's system kernel
                That's all I have for now.
                Last edited by Agentwestmer; 02-22-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I recently made something roughly similar to this.
                  Pacts and Gadgets are used for creating Covers and utilizing your old Numina in your disconnected forms respectively.

Pacts: ultimately, dx-unit may recurse mortal traits to create zones of lesser alert. dx-unit will be moving around the existing code of It's work. dx-unit must offer a mortal creature a boon in exchange for this, and there must be at a minimum a symbolic gesture that both parties understand and agree to the terms of the pact.

Gadgets: the same techniques used for creating, recycling, and resonating It's infrastructure can be used by dx-unit to store the abilities once reliable as numina.

Cover: dx-unit will have initial cover, though It will know the face that fell. do not deviate from assumed identity, or It will see the face that fell. do not expose dx-unit application singularity, or It will come for the face that fell.
                  and
                  The God-Machine sees all.
                  The God-Machine knows all.

Praise be that we serve.
                  Praise be that we unite.
                  Praise be that we know.
                  Praise be that we trust.

Serve the order.
                  Serve the purpose.

Unite the peoples.
                  Unite the prisons.

Know the truth.
                  Know the faith.

Trust in the future that must be.

Trust that we escaped.

Were both in separate text files hidden inside a .jpeg of the iconic GM-obelisk. Players who found them were also allowed the secret Exploit, Process, Propulsion, or Embed, in order of who came to me with their discovery of the .png files that depicted them.

It was just a bunch of demonic perspectives on their innate abilities, alongside a few images and descriptions of angelic activity, but it seems to roughly align with this concept. Maybe a template message could be made for us to send to new Demon forumites :P
                  Last edited by Necrophear; 03-21-2017, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X