• Show
Clear All

• Elemosyna [Angel]

Elemosyna
    Type: Angel (Guardian)
    Attributes: Power 4, Finesse 9, Resistance 5
    Influence: Healing 2, Death 2
    Manifestations: Avernian Gateway, Image, Materialize, Twilight Form
    Numina: Aura of Vitality*^, Blast, Mortal Mask, Pathfinder, Price of Power (2), Regenerate, Resurrection, Sun's Bounty*^, Wound Healing*, One Influence dot
    Incepts: Efficiency, Scale, Units

Corpus: 10
    Essence: 30
    Willpower: 10
    Defense: 4
    Size: 5
    Speed: 18 (28 when flying)
    Initiative: 14

Ban (Balanced Scales): For every life she saves, the Angel must kill another. For every life ended, another must be preserved. If she fails to fulfill this Ban within a week, she loses all of her Willpower points.

Ban (Sanctity of Life): When Elemosyna is called to bring someone to life, it is to ensure that the individual remains a vital component in the God-Machine's plans. However, not all accept the second chance they are given. If a character she has revived commits suicide in her presence, though, she immediately discorporates.

Bane: The scalpel of a doctor who has committed murder, and the blood of her victims.

Background: While many Guardians are programmed to serve as bodyguards and sentries, Elemosyna's role is that of a healer. She was built to function as a failsafe, flying to areas where the God-Machine's influence is contested to provide support for its other agents. More than one ring of Demons has been forced to flee at her arrival, and many encounters with hunter-angels have gone from deadly to suicidal once she has appeared to provide backup.

Description: When she appears human, Elemosyna resembles a young woman of Germanic ethnicity, with platinum blonde hair, light gray eyes, and a pleasant and helpful expression on her face. Her true form is largely similar, but her hair becomes stark white, her eyes transform into solid gold optics, and her skin takes on the color and texture of marble. A pair of angel wings sprout from her back, covered in a plumage of glass feathers. When she stands in front of a bright light source, these feathers take on an iridescent quality as they absorb photon energy and transform it into Essence.

Storytelling Hints: Though she seems harmless, Elemosyna is still quite capable of holding her own in a fight. She is difficult to pursue when she flies, and she can quickly recover from all but the most severe injuries done to her Corpus. However, she is at her most dangerous when paired with other Angels, or even Stigmatics. Elemosyna's healing can keep her allies active longer in the field, and she can even revive them from death if the situation demands it. Characters who attempt to fight rather than flee would do well to deal with Elemosyna first if they have any hope of winning.

Outside of such emergencies, the Guardian is often on standby in the upper atmosphere, her wings extended to drink in the sun's rays. From this vantage point, she is periodically sent down to care for various individuals crucial to the God-Machine's projects. Sometimes, she carries out her missions under a disguise, taking on Covers as a doctor or nurse. Most of the time, though, she attends to her wards' needs while remaining in Twilight.

Notes: Price of Power levies an extra Ban and a Bane.

* - As the Form Power.
    ^ - Found in the Demon Translation Guide
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-04-2017, 11:13 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

My first attempt at designing an Angel, and one partially based off of Mercy from Overwatch. It's still a work-in-progress, though, so any critique and suggestions you can give is appreciated. Expect the Background and Storytelling Hints to be filled in soon, as well as some more polishing for her description.

Trivia: Elemosyna is Latin for Mercy.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Nice. Needs an appropriately unsettling ban and bane. Something with the healing angle, perhaps?

Given her power over life and death, Avernian Gateway feels like it might be thematically appropriate as a manifestation.

I really like the idea of an angel that serves as the cavalry to the G-M's interests. Sun's bounty gives me the impression of having her hang out in low earth orbit, solar panel wings drinking the sun's rays to sustain itself, then diving into the atmosphere to sortie for combat. (Or possibly just using Incepts to nuke a target from orbit using a concetrated blast of solar Energy)

Finally, Overwatch fan?

Comment

A rather simple one I've used are "Aetheric hounds" Rank 1 cryptids based on dogs with the adaptations aether eater, aetger hive and twilight entity(willing).

Another that I like is a tree that has become a cryptid in a unique way. With aether eater, aether hive and variable form you can have a rank 1 cryptid that could encircle a sensitive piece of infastructure and only activate when demons come too close.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentwestmer View Post
          Nice. Needs an appropriately unsettling ban and bane. Something with the healing angle, perhaps?

Yeah. The Ban and the Bane are giving me the most trouble when it comes to writing her out. My first thought on the former was that she could not directly harm those she has ressurected, perhaps within a certain timeframe. Another idea was that she must appear before those who recite a specific prayer or incantation.

Given her power over life and death, Avernian Gateway feels like it might be thematically appropriate as a manifestation.
          I might swap Gauntlet Breach out for that. Besides, one of her Incepts does allow her to travel to any of the Realms Invisible.

I really like the idea of an angel that serves as the cavalry to the G-M's interests. Sun's bounty gives me the impression of having her hang out in low earth orbit, solar panel wings drinking the sun's rays to sustain itself, then diving into the atmosphere to sortie for combat. (Or possibly just using Incepts to nuke a target from orbit using a concetrated blast of solar Energy)
          Either scenario works. But I think it's more likely that she descends personally to heal and revive key servants of the God-Machine. After all, I wanted to create an Angel that was dangerous by virtue of being disruptive whenever she arrives to save the day, not because she was a literal powerhouse.

Finally, Overwatch fan?
          Yep. Haven't been able to play the game myself, but I am a fan nonetheless.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            A rather simple one I've used are "Aetheric hounds" Rank 1 cryptids based on dogs with the adaptations aether eater, aetger hive and twilight entity(willing).

Another that I like is a tree that has become a cryptid in a unique way. With aether eater, aether hive and variable form you can have a rank 1 cryptid that could encircle a sensitive piece of infastructure and only activate when demons come too close.
            Cooooooouuuuuuuld we coax you into writing up stats for these?

Deionscribe As a Rank 4 Angel, Elemosyna is beefy and terrifying, doubly so with the combination of Blast + Scale, her dice pools are 14 minimum, more if she uses her very large pool of essence (that she can refill, with Sun's Bounty) to boost that. If you want her as a support you may want to think about what you could do with her as a rank 3 or even rank 2 angel. Most hunter angels that I've seen are only Rank 3 in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Agentwestmer View Post
              Deionscribe As a Rank 4 Angel, Elemosyna is beefy and terrifying, doubly so with the combination of Blast + Scale, her dice pools are 14 minimum, more if she uses her very large pool of essence (that she can refill, with Sun's Bounty) to boost that. If you want her as a support you may want to think about what you could do with her as a rank 3 or even rank 2 angel. Most hunter angels that I've seen are only Rank 3 in comparison.
              Hmm. How about this, then? She's less powerful and more delicate, but she still retains her focus as a healer. I'm not sure whether I should remove Delivery or Scale from her Incepts.

That said, any suggestions for what Ban and Bane she might have? Not to mention her extra weakness granted by Price of Power?

P.S: I'm going by a small House Rule for ephemeral entities, where their maximum Essence is [Rank x10].

-=-

Elemosyna
              Type: Angel (Guardian)
              Attributes: Power 4, Finesse 9, Resistance 5
              Influence: Sunlight 1, Healing 1, Death 1
              Manifestations: Avernian Gateway, Image, Materialize, Twilight Form
              Numina: Aura of Vitality*^, Blast, Mortal Mask, Price of Power, Resurrection, Sense the Hidden*^, Sun's Bounty*^, Wings*, Wound Healing*
              Incepts: Efficiency, Scale, Units

Corpus: 10
              Essence: 30
              Willpower: 10
              Defense: 4
              Size: 5
              Speed: 18 (+10 w/ Wings, +4 w/ Scale)
              Initiative: 14
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

For a Ban, you could always say that the scales must be balanced: for every life she saves, another must die (Mercy-Kill, heh). For every life ended, another must be preserved (which might lead to random acts of kindness, to pay off obliterating opposition).

Bane: The scalpel (or other tool) of a doctor (or other holder of the Hippocratic Oath) who has turned to murder. IE, one sworn to mercy who has betrayed their principles.
                Last edited by Vent0; 01-04-2017, 12:59 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  For a Ban, you could always say that the scales must be balanced: for every life she saves, another must die. For every life ended, another must be preserved.

Bane: The scalpel (or other tool) of a doctor (or other holder of the Hippocratic Oath) who has turned to murder. IE, one sworn to mercy who has betrayed their principles.
                  These can all work. And for the extra Ban keyed to Price of Power, perhaps it could be a means to summon or discorporate her?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

These can all work. And for the extra Ban keyed to Price of Power, perhaps it could be a means to summon or discorporate her?
                    Summon: Someone she's already saved is dying? Probably need to set up a time limit on that, though.
                    Banish: Someone she's saved commits suicide (thus, refuting her gift).
                    Ward: Cannot be in the presence of someone she's killed already.

Looking at her Influences, maybe you could trade some Numina in for increased Influence ratings? Does she need Wings or Wound Healing, considering you can just give her flying (as an Ephemeral) and she can spend Essence to heal (as an Ephemeral)?

Deionscribe any chance for listing potential Fall triggers? Or Ready-Made Plot Hooks?
                    Last edited by Vent0; 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Summon: Someone she's already saved is dying? Probably need to set up a time limit on that, though.
                      Banish: Someone she's saved commits suicide (thus, refuting her gift).
                      Ward: Cannot be in the presence of someone she's killed already.

Deionscribe any chance for listing potential Fall triggers? Or Ready-Made Plot Hooks?
                      I do have a few working ideas for those sidebars, so you can expect them in the near-future. I have also been open to the idea of statting her out as an Unchained.

As for the extra Ban, I might go for the banishment one. -> "If a character revived by her commits suicide in her presence, she immediately discorporates."

On a related note, I imagine being repeatedly subject to this Ban could be a potential catalyst for her Fall. The same could be said for someone who sacrifices his second chance to save another.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I do have a few working ideas for those sidebars, so you can expect them in the near-future. I have also been open to the idea of statting her out as an Unchained.

As for the extra Ban, I might go for the banishment one. -> "If a character revived by her commits suicide in her presence, she immediately discorporates."

On a related note, I imagine being repeatedly subject to this Ban could be a potential catalyst for her Fall. The same could be said for someone who sacrifices his second chance to save another.
                        Yeah. Or, if you go with the Balanced Scales Ban, being forced to save a complete a-hole (though necessary to the G-M's plans), and then being forced to kill someone more "worthy" of life.

Comment

Agentwestmer for the hound it's just the dog stats (from the google drive document they have) + the listed adaptations.

I don't yet have solid stats for the tree but the variable form would be for a more treant like wit the other being a 'dormant' tree. It's an idea I have but I haven't fully stated it up because I haven't needed to.

Comment

Yeah. Or, if you go with the Balanced Scales Ban, being forced to save a complete a-hole (though necessary to the G-M's plans), and then being forced to kill someone more "worthy" of life.
                            Regarding her Numina, I could probably swap out Wings for an Influence do. Wound Healing might probably stay so that she can allocate more Essence to other abilities.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Regarding her Numina, I could probably swap out Wings for an Influence do. Wound Healing might probably stay so that she can allocate more Essence to other abilities.
                              <shrug> Between Sun's Bounty and the G-M's usual Logistical arrangements, I doubt she'd be in short supply anyways.

Sense the Hidden is just life detection, right? Would that fall generally under her Influence-detection or Mission Pertinent Information?

Comment

Working...
                              X