Looking for Power vs Mundane Tactics Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Power vs Mundane Tactics Advice

I'm currently running a few demon the decent games and I've noticed alot that the players seem to only think about how to solve problems with their powers. I know the powers can solve alot of problems but they don't ever seem to look for mundane spy tactics to solve their problems.

So I wanted to get some advice on how to get my players to take a step back and not look for a power solution but a clever solution.

So for example players want to gather information on a subject. They always try to rely on the player who can read minds rather then you know bugging the persons phone. I mean shoot their are tons of spy gadgets online they can buy and use but not one player has done that. No one has bought pin hole cams or a bug scanner.

They seem to get some kind of mental block when it comes to figuring out how to find solutions to simple problems. So I wanted to get some advice on how other GM's solve this.

Also looking for advice on how to help players who are just super unlucky with dice rolls.
    Last edited by Basic; 01-27-2017, 06:00 AM.

not a GM, but perhaps make it clear through mentions of weird things seen out of the corner of the eyes and such that all this occult physics being thrown around is making the God-Machine suspicious?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

While Demon definitely emulates the theme and tone of mundane espionage, it's not a game of mundane espionage. Relying on abilities seems perfectly natural, honestly

Comment

Watch espionage films and heist films. Watch your Bonds, Bournes and Le Carres, your Ocean's Elevens and Italian Jobs. Let them get excited for thinking like that.

Talk about your expectations and theirs. Maybe you need to readjust, maybe they need to understand what you were going for.

Create clear situations where their powers will be irrevocably noticed. Make it so they might even be able to use that to their advantage, distracting people with their powers while a subtler, sneakier answer will defs go unnoticed.

If they are relying on their powers too much, remember even Embeds get noticed after extended use, and just send angels as appropriately. Not every summon of angels need be determined by a roll. Don't be afraid to kick their ass a little, so long as they have a way out.

Create situations where you will want both going on. I know I said that already, but you want the players to feel rewarded for both just being badass and also being clever, and if one of the two fail, the other makes them feel like one of those two.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
        Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

yeah, but not always. Or at least, integrate your abilities into the mundane tech, like Sir Night does. Look up the forum roleplays he's in. Really good inspiration for Demon stuff

EDIT: meant to reply to Inodiv

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I don't think relying on your fun powers is necessarily a bad thing. It's best to try to to work with the powers so players need to use them, but use them cleverly, to succeed, (I freely admit that's hard as all hell sometimes).

However, if you want players to stop relying on their powers, infect 'em with the Burn Code or drop them into a dead-zone like Pripiyat. They might hate you a little for it, but it'll force them to think a little differently. Don't be too mean, though, taking away their fun toys is a sure way to annoy your players.
            Last edited by Eremite; 01-28-2017, 07:26 AM.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
            Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
            After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
              Don't be too mean, though, taking away their fun toys is a sure way to annoy your players.
              I want to emphasize this. I would not play in a non-bluebook game where my abilities were routinely taken away or otherwise made into non-options. Being required to be careful how you use them, as in Demon, is fine. Embeds are supposed to be relatively subtle. If they're going ham than that should absolutely draw attention, but otherwise...being able to use them is kind of a large part of the draw of the game for many people (as much as having supernatural powers is a part of the draw of playing any supernatural creature, at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                Also looking for advice on how to help players who are just super unlucky with dice rolls.
                I don't routinely take dice from players, but I've started going for a Trail of Cthulhu approach to investigations. You're an expert in firearms? You get the ballistics evidence, no need to roll. A clue is vital to the plot? You get it. I've also started doing things like Perception rolls and, in changeling, Clarity rolls so I can surprise players (or have therm hallucinate without realising they're suffering a Condition that causes that, meaning they're unsure if something weird is actually real or not) .

There's not much else you can do, sadly. The dice gods are fickle and often cruel.

I've also given a bit more thought to their overuse of powers - perhaps you should have somebody using mundane spycraft, or mundane supplementing supernatural spycraft, either as their enemy or an ally to 'show off' this approach to people. I could potentially give better advice if you told me which powers are proving especially difficult (besides telepathy, which my current changeling game is teaching me can be a nightmare).
                Last edited by Eremite; 01-29-2017, 07:02 AM.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
                Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
                After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Working...
                X