Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you do a archeological dig as a God-Machine project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do a archeological dig as a God-Machine project?

I thought up of a scenario for a possible Demon campaign if I get the game. It is basically a archeological dig in the Arizona desert being sponsored by a corporation called Manticore Software, a God-Machine influenced company. My question is what could the God-Machine do with a archeological dig and what type of infrastructure could it be.

Immediate thoughts are that a piece of old infrastructure retired a thousand years ago is calculated to be of use in some new occult matrix and must be reactivated.

Comment

Questions:
      Why is a software company sponsoring an archeological dig?
      How in depth or important do you want these?
      Any other cosmological considerations?

Ideas:
      The dig could itself be part of an Occult Matrix - a single incident/output (summon angel, major effect, create a time portal, etc.), or to establish new Infrastructure at the site.
      There could be dormant/damaged Infrastructure under the dig site - maybe Demon's Suborned it and were since eliminated, bad luck, it was supposed to be Eliminated but wasn't (maybe the Angel responsible Fell). It could even be an Angel Storage Facility (it was more efficient to let it get buried and dig it up later).
      There could be something outside the G-M there that It wants - some artifact It wants to analyze, some threat It wants to counter, etc.
      It could even be a trap - make it look interesting, lure Demons in then snap them up.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Questions:
        How in depth or important do you want these?
        Any other cosmological considerations?

Ideas:
        The dig could itself be part of an Occult Matrix - a single incident/output (summon angel, major effect, create a time portal, etc.), or to establish new Infrastructure at the site.
        There could be dormant/damaged Infrastructure under the dig site - maybe Demon's Suborned it and were since eliminated, bad luck, it was supposed to be Eliminated but wasn't (maybe the Angel responsible Fell). It could even be an Angel Storage Facility (it was more efficient to let it get buried and dig it up later).
        There could be something outside the G-M there that It wants - some artifact It wants to analyze, some threat It wants to counter, etc.
        It could even be a trap - make it look interesting, lure Demons in then snap them up.
        ​The CEO is probably using it as a ploy to dig up the infrastructure. Also, the infrastructure could contain a old artifact made by the machine during the time when the Hopi Indians were around. Also, the infrastructure could be disguised as a old temple.

Comment

That's your reason why, yes, but If I heard of a software company doing an archeological dig, I'd go "What"? Archeology isn't noticeably relevant for software. I doubt there is much of a charity angle there. Maybe PR? But that's shining a big spotlight on the activity.

Doing it through a software company is the opposite of subtle, is what I'm saying.

Comment

That's your reason why, yes, but If I heard of a software company doing an archeological dig, I'd go "What"? Archeology isn't noticeably relevant for software. I doubt there is much of a charity angle there. Maybe PR? But that's shining a big spotlight on the activity.

Doing it through a software company is the opposite of subtle, is what I'm saying.
            ​I could switch Manticore from a software company to a conglomerate like Deva. That could explain why they both have a software company and a excavation firm.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post

​I could switch Manticore from a software company to a conglomerate like Deva. That could explain why they both have a software company and a excavation firm.
              You could. Of course depending on what you need, that oddity could be exactly what ropes your characters in.

Comment

So, why excavate now, of all times? Is this instigated by the Machine, or is the CEO making their own play, and just now found out?

Comment

So, why excavate now, of all times? Is this instigated by the Machine, or is the CEO making their own play, and just now found out?
                  ​The Machine told the CEO to do so. It has found a new use for a artifact in the infrastructure. Also, I am moving the location to the jungles of South America, possibly Peru.

Comment

I like the idea that its an infrastructure to resurrect a old destroyed angel for a job. The angel exists in a mummified state. So it the players corrupt the ritual they could make that angel fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                      I like the idea that its an infrastructure to resurrect a old destroyed angel for a job. The angel exists in a mummified state. So it the players corrupt the ritual they could make that angel fall.
                      That sounds like a good idea. Also, could this scene fit into demon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQEJH_6kzs skip to 1:17. I am asking that because I feel tempted to add a fight scene similar to that into the scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post

That sounds like a good idea. Also, could this scene fit into demon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQEJH_6kzs skip to 1:17. I am asking that because I feel tempted to add a fight scene similar to that into the scenario.
                        That can fit really easy into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                          That can fit really easy into it.
                          ​In that case. You know how you suggested corrupting the ritual? Perhaps the ritual being ruined has horrific side affects and kills the people doing it like the villains in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now that I think of it I might be putting a lot of Indiana Jones into a game meant to be about Techgnostic Espionage.

Comment

I did a similar idea in the deserts around Route 66 - I proposed a 1960's era God Machine project called 'The Boneyard' that at first glance seemed like it was an archeological dig. Since it was discovered after it was long since abandoned, it was largely an empty and desolate complex filled with cryptids.

The majority of the research performed there involved the creation of genetically created life forms - entirely fictional giant lizard-like beings that resembled Dragons. Several head designers put together concept drawings and schematics for proposed examples and then the gene-team would go brew them up. After the animals were reared in captivity (most were engineered to be totally docile even if they looked fearsome) they were slaughtered and the remains chemically aged. The bones produced would be distributed to various places around the globe, allowing other God-Machine projects the concealment infrastructure they needed to perform extensive, deep exploratory digging.

And that's where dinosaurs come from.

Comment

That sounds like an excellent question for characters to ask in game.

Comment

Working...
                              X