GMing Demon: What NOT to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Additionally, Aspirations are A Thing. Dangle the satisfaction of the Demon/Player's goals there - it's a Storyteller's job to make sure the reward outweighs the risk enough to get PCs to act.
    This is particularly good advice. Demon, more than other games, can have the PCs suffer from paranoia; it's a core theme after all. Listen to what your players want and use those desires to get them to engage with the world.

Comment

I agree completely on not undermining achievements. If they are able to stop an Occult Matrix from reaching completion or shut down an established piece of Infrastructure, those are feats worth rewarding and praising in game.

At the same time, in my experience it is also paramount that you make it explicitly clear that the players cannot gain a permanent or lasting Advantage or victory against the Machine. They are fighting a guerilla war against an entity that outclasses them by orders of magnitude upon orders of magnitude, and they will never be as remotely powerful as It is. They can only inconvenience the Machine, but those inconveniences are still incredibly impressive victories.

In short, let them grow, but don’t be afraid to knock them down a peg or three if they get delusions of grandeur.

It is a game of espionage against an entire world spanning Machine who’s agents are everywhere and they are far better equipped than you are after all!
      Last edited by Korogra; 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If your players buys the Cultists merit, don't make the characters who are becoming said cultists deliberately annoying, dismissive and or disbelieving of their new leader(s). This goes double for if the players have gone to significant lengths to help these characters before or during this period.

Comment

Also, and this is extremely important, do not let the players become angel slaying demigods. Unless it’s rank 1, or they have its Ban or Bane, you want your angels to be highly dangerous, challenging opponents that impresses upon the Ring that it’s probably a good idea to retreat and regroup rather than fight, only fighting an angel when there is no other choice.

This is what god-machine cultists and the odd Cryptid is for, if you want prolonged fire fights
          Last edited by Korogra; 10-17-2018, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
            Also, and this is extremely important, do not let the players become angel slaying demigods. Unless it’s rank 1, or they have its Ban or Bane, you want your angels to be highly dangerous, challenging opponents that impresses upon the Ring that it’s probably a good idea to retreat and regroup rather than fight, only fighting an angel when there is no other choice.

This is what god-machine cultists and the odd Cryptid is for, if you want prolonged fire fights
            Unless it is a long-running Chronicle with Sabotuers and they want to become angel-slaying demi-gods and have been putting the effort towards it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Unless it is a long-running Chronicle with Sabotuers and they want to become angel-slaying demi-gods and have been putting the effort towards it.
              That’s end game stuff then, because they will have to work hard every step of the way in my opinion 😆

Comment

Something I've noticed lately is that people forget angels and demons are BIO-mechanical. Remember that not everything is pure robotics, there are just as many angels and demons that are organic or a freakish fusion of both

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  Something I've noticed lately is that people forget angels and demons are BIO-mechanical. Remember that not everything is pure robotics, there are just as many angels and demons that are organic or a freakish fusion of both
                  Welcome to the long fight, it doesn't end.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                  Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Welcome to the long fight, it doesn't end.
                    Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

Resistance is futile.
                      Perhaps, but demons were never in it for a fair fight, and neither am I

Comment

Do not jokingly declare that it is now time to form Voltron.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                        Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Is this from experience?

Comment

Demon Car + Merge as a Lambda. I'm just saying...

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

While I think the OG poster is gone, I am fond of these threads

Don't disregard the fact that demons really do live up to their name. When put through the lens of any human, demons are lying backstabbers who have a disregard for human life due to pride in never accepting that some things the god machine does is good. They often have a warped morality through virtue and vice, and the worst part is they can convince you that they are in the right.

Demons can be just as bad as angels, but for different reasons. Don't represent them in a black and white way as beginner storytellers often do

Comment

I’ll be the Yellow Lion 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X